Janet Dunbar - Epiphany (2009)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      The Berio would be Epifanie.

and there are just so many reasons to be cheerful from Bach
      Mr Dury might just take you to a specific work by said master.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        Janet Dunbar - Epiphany (2009)
        - Ms Dunbar studied composition at Stanford University, and currently teaches Composition there.

I'm not very impressed by this work -

*Classical Music* is for everybody. The INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE PERFORMANCE of "Epiphany" for symphony orchestra (composed by Dr. Janet Dunbar), 11 June 2009...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - Ms Dunbar studied composition at Stanford University, and currently teaches Composition there.

I'm not very impressed by this work -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH_P-3V_MdE
          Sheesh that was seven minutes of my life that I'll never get back, possibly explained by the accompaying note that tells us ... " Dunbar's classical music style is called "The New Elegant Simplicity" and features memorable melody. The style appeals to a very broad audience so that more people can experience the joys of classical music. Classical music lovers everywhere who formerly believed that all the great classical music composers were dead are ready for a contemporary classical music composer who writes new music that engages them with beautiful melody, rhythmic interest and counterpoint.

Dr. Dunbar is a contemporary composer who is not a medical doctor, but a Doctor of Musical Arts in Composition, Stanford University, Master of Arts in Music, San Jose State University."

Ya don't say?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Sheesh that was seven minutes of my life that I'll never get back, possibly explained by the accompaying note that tells us ... " Dunbar's classical music style is called "The New Elegant Simplicity" and features memorable melody. The style appeals to a very broad audience so that more people can experience the joys of classical music. Classical music lovers everywhere who formerly believed that all the great classical music composers were dead are ready for a contemporary classical music composer who writes new music that engages them with beautiful melody, rhythmic interest and counterpoint.

Dr. Dunbar is a contemporary composer who is not a medical doctor, but a Doctor of Musical Arts in Composition, Stanford University, Master of Arts in Music, San Jose State University."

Ya don't say?
            - Grade B, GCSE stuff: a few riffs, unimaginative orchestration, unmemorable. If the Magi had discovered this in Bethlehem, they'd've wished they'd stayed back East!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Presumably Epiphany Mass by Bach. Not sure about the Dury link - maybe I'm a Blockhead!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Presumably Epiphany Mass by Bach. Not sure about the Dury link - maybe I'm a Blockhead!
                No, echt Bach, not "reconstructed". Dury and Blockheads should take tou to a certain number ...

(NB " ... ", not " .. " nor " .... ")

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

hmmmm ...... BWV 50 (reasons to be cheerful) seems to be for Michaelmas rather than Epiphany, but I've probably got the wrong end of the stick

Comment

• hedgehog

No, echt Bach, not "reconstructed". Dury and Blockheads should take tou to a certain number ...

(NB " ... ", not " .. " nor " .... ")
                    Nur ein Wink von seinen Händen Well I can't see much joy in the texts of 6th Christmas Oratorio which is for Epiphany, so it must be one of the others?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      hmmmm ...... BWV 50 (reasons to be cheerful) seems to be for Michaelmas rather than Epiphany, but I've probably got the wrong end of the stick
                      You're halfway (well, 0.406504 of the way, to be accurate) there, mercs.

Nur ein Wink von seinen Händen Well I can't see much joy in the texts of 6th Christmas Oratorio which is for Epiphany, so it must be one of the others?
                      Not "one of the other" cantatas in the Christmas Oratorio, but "one of the other" Cantatas. You might find a String Quartet by Christopher Fox helpful, if the Dury lane leads you nowhere.

Comment

• hedgehog

You're halfway (well, 0.406504 of the way, to be accurate) there, mercs.

Not "one of the other" cantatas in the Christmas Oratorio, but "one of the other" Cantatas. You might find a String Quartet by Christopher Fox helpful, if the Dury lane leads you nowhere.
                        I gathered that it was one of the others. A quick arithmetic shows it to be Liebster Immanuel, Herzog der Frommen BWV 123 and being lazy I'll not dig up all the texts

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I gathered that it was one of the others. A quick arithmetic shows it to be Liebster Immanuel, Herzog der Frommen BWV 123 and being lazy I'll not dig up all the texts
                          - one of his three extant Cantatas for the Feast of the Epiphany, the BWV catalogue number connecting with Ian Dury's Reasons to be Cheerful (and, therefrom, Chris Fox's String Quartet 1, 2, 3 first performed about five years ago by the Smith Quartet at Huddersfield.

Plus Berio's Epifanie (a cycle of orchestral movements intertwined with a cycle of vocal movements)
                          and Janet Dunbar's Epiphany.

Your F, I think, (who needs three wise men when we have one wise woman: I presume that there are two things we should know about the wise woman) with mercs mentioned honourably in despatches.

Comment

• hedgehog

- one of his three extant Cantatas for the Feast of the Epiphany, the BWV catalogue number connecting with Ian Dury's Reasons to be Cheerful (and, therefrom, Chris Fox's String Quartet 1, 2, 3 first performed about five years ago by the Smith Quartet at Huddersfield.
                            Gosh, that's a lot of connections

I have an F but need to Finesse it a bit, but have a Christmas Eve appointment. I'll put it out tomorrow & if anybody is lost for something to do or prefers AA to Sisi or Doctor Who, then it'll be there. But no haste

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Shall look forward to it Hedgie ...

Comment

• hedgehog

I hope all AA'ers are having a good Christmas!

Whether this helps the Festivities or not is a mute point, but here is an F!

It links three cities that feature in a film, a ballet and an opera in that it appears in each of the titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X