X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    But I have an easy G ready if you like...
    please go ahead. Have we mentioned the Hans and Antonio works? for the sake of tidiness

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Tapiola, I've looked at the cds and the booklet and no date is mentioned but it is in the dark green box that you need a degree in astro-physics to open!!
      I have heard of the famed sturdiness of this box, though do not know the transfers therein. I have just googled this and the date 1999 comes up. By contrast, the Melodiya box from 2006 is so flimsy that one is almost scared to set anything on top of it. And it stands proud of all of my other box sets on the shelf.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        please go ahead. Have we mentioned the Hans and Antonio works? for the sake of tidiness
        thanks, mercia, most generous.

Antonio Soler and Hans Werner Henze both wrote Fandangos - and Scaramouche (by Milhaud) crops up with 'Fandango' in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody...

Now for an easy peasy G -

"Rinaldo. Armide. Tancred."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
          I have heard of the famed sturdiness of this box, though do not know the transfers therein.
          I think I just sat and held it in my hands for about a day wondering whether to push or pull! The transfers are just incredible. The answer is concealed magnets!

I have just googled this and the date 1999 comes up. By contrast, the Melodiya box from 2006 is so flimsy that one is almost scared to set anything on top of it. And it stands proud of all of my other box sets on the shelf.
          Well, don't know about that date, certainly I purchased it about 2006 and looking on musicweb just now it said it had been nigh unobtainable but there was a new 2007 release but that contained 11 cds (bonus stuff) As to my Melodiya it is in a very sturdy thick box and says Mockba 2006, and has 12 cds, but having said it's Melodiya it's all in Russian (booklet included) but it's the same Kondrashin with the Moscow Phil, Gromadsky, etc., but it also contains Concerto 1 (Leonid Kogan) and No. 2 (David Oistrakh) and another Babi Yar with A. Eisen (bass) So, I obviously have something very different to your flimsy box!

Edit: Does anyone here read Russian?
          Last edited by Guest; 29-03-11, 17:26. Reason: confusion

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Re 'G': operas based on Tasso's Gerusalemme Liberata?

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
              Re 'G': operas based on Tasso's Gerusalemme Liberata?
              back of the net, Ofca!

Give us an H, there's a good chap...

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

As to my Melodiya it is in a very sturdy thick box and says Mockba 2006, and has 12 cds, but having said it's Melodiya it's all in Russian (booklet included) but it's the same Kondrashin with the Moscow Phil, Gromadsky, etc., but it also contains Concerto 1 (Leonid Kogan) and No. 2 (David Oistrakh) and another Babi Yar with A. Eisen (bass) So, I obviously have something very different to your flimsy box!

Edit: Does anyone here read Russian?
                Nyet.

Your Melodiya set is evidently different to mine, which has only 11 discs.

And yours has the VC1 PLUS another 13th! Is it the legendary live premiere of Babi Yar? Recordings of this are like gold dust! I am truly amazed!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

A nice easy H
                  What 'H' links an early suite for piano, a double-decker bus and a cowboy?

Comment

• Anna

Your Melodiya set is evidently different to mine, which has only 11 discs.

And yours has the VC1 PLUS another 13th! Is it the legendary live premiere of Babi Yar? Recordings of this are like gold dust! I am truly amazed!
                    Well Tapiola, is this gold dust, the recording? Really? Well if so I amaze myself as well! Cripes, just put the cd on now! It's awfully spine-tingley stuff.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Well Tapiola, is this gold dust, the recording? Really? Well if so I amaze myself as well! Cripes, just put the cd on now! It's awfully spine-tingley stuff.
                      Anna, it is no surprise to us that you are amazing!

Sounds like your bravura in purchasing things direct from Russia has paid off big style
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Anna, it is no surprise to us that you are amazing!
                        Well, we all knew that Ducky, did we not?

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Sounds like your bravura in purchasing things direct from Russia has paid off big style
                        You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment Actually, bass profundos reduce me to jelly.

Edit: sorry, very off topic, let us see the new quiz
                        Last edited by Guest; 29-03-11, 19:01. Reason: going severely off topic

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Edit: sorry, very off topic, let us see the new quiz
                          Please do - it's very easy (no, really.....:cool2

Comment

• Norfolk Born

While you're getting your teeth into my very straightforward 'H' question, I thought I would share an interesting discovery with you. When I played Elgar's 'Mazurka' this morning, just to remind myself of what it sounded like, it turned out to be the basis for the theme to the truly wonderful Radio 4/BBC7 series 'Bleak Expectations'.
                            A small clue to 'H': contrary to popular rumour, the bus definitely wasn't a Routemaster. (These things are important to some people - bus experts, film buffs - you know).
                            Last edited by Guest; 29-03-11, 19:53.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The double-decker bus mentioned in #3695.
                              I'm off to watch last night's episodes of Corrie now. I'll come back in a while to see how you're getting on. If you get stuck, think of another word for 'cowboy'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

percy whitlock holiday suite
                                cliff richds all goin onna summer holiday
                                doc holliday...

Comment

Working...
                                X