X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Cripes edashtav, perhaps our paths have diverged! I was going on the preumption that said gent in question had a motor named for a Dickens character!
    As always, AA can be a parallel universe. In which I am sometimes a bit nebulous ....
    Best to reveal my path and test it against you motor, Anna.

My answer is Egon Wellesz,the Austrian composer & teacher at Lincoln College of Horovitz & Chapell who "sang a song in a new land" (Bach). He became a naturalised Briton, but returned after death to be buried in Vienna. He was interned in the I.O.M. early in WWII with Hans Gal and Karl Schwitters. There's an RCM Project around these and other emigres called something like "Songs in a New Land". It's possible that EW wrote the music to the 1930s film "Kleine Dorritt".

Most of that may be true but not the answer... I'll leave that to Anna!
    Last edited by edashtav; 31-08-13, 17:13. Reason: typo

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Sorry people - Fenwicks bags, full of cushions, safely deposited in the hall.....My Lord I think Anna has the gent with the Dickensian car........

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        Best to reval my path and test it against you motor, Anna.

My answer is Egon Wellesz,the Austrian composer & teacher at Lincoln College of Horovitz & Chapell who "sang a song in a new land" (Bach). He became a naturalised Briton, but returned after death to be buried in Vienna. He was interned in the I.O.M. early in WWII with Hans Gal and Karl Schwitters. There's an RCM Project around these and other emigres called something like "Songs in a New Land". It's possible that EW wrote the music to the 1930s film "Kleine Dorritt".

Hope that is right, great début if so

Antongould as question-setter must pronounce! (and what could all that 'autoclue' business be about?! )
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Best to reveal my path and test it against you motor, Anna.

Welcome Ed....sadly a much better answer but as Rumpole would say not what is says on the card.....

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Hope that is right, great début if so

Antongould as question-setter must pronounce! (and what could all that 'autoclue' business be about?! )
            I have returned and this gentleman is not of Cambridge.....

Comment

• Anna

Oh, sorry Eds didn't get it - think it's a Friend of Dorothy you are searching for?

Good Grief anton, how much more can you buy in Fenwicks? How many cushions can you stuff on your sofa!?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I'm stumped. There's a Daniel Doyce in Dorrit... rhymes with Royce as in Rolls, and matches "Daniel Jazz" .. but what W?!?! I think the sunshine this summer has turned my brain to mush.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

I'm stumped. There's a Daniel Doyce in Dorrit... rhymes with Royce as in Rolls, and matches "Daniel Jazz" .. but what W?!?! I think the sunshine this summer has turned my brain to mush.
                  A fictional man of Balliol........

Comment

• Anna

Well, Duckie, we will not dispute the last sentence!
                    Look, I may be totally wrong about this, but (in order to give anyone a nudge), which detective had a car named after a characrer in Little Dorrit who was a striking and magnificent woman, married to a second husband?
                    Of course, I may be totally wrong!

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Well, Duckie, we will not dispute the last sentence!
                      Look, I may be totally wrong about this, but (in order to give anyone a nudge), which detective had a car named after a characrer in Little Dorrit who was a striking and magnificent woman, married to a second husband?
                      Of course, I may be totally wrong!
                      You are eXactly correct.....

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        You are eXactly correct.....
                        Well, not really! I just linked Dorrit to Dorothy .... I have not given the answer!!
                        So, it's up to others as I am off shortly, and, to be honest, the Horovits eludes, but the Bach is easy.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Well after five red herrings at least, you could knock me down with a feather...

I've read a few of the novels and was addicted to the TV series with Ian Carmichael (and have a couple on DVD) but I had NO IDEA that Lord Peter Wimsey named his motor "Mrs Merdle"....!

How had that escaped me?!

And Herbert Chappell wrote the TV theme tune which is one of the key jingles of my childhood I loved and love the twist to the minor in the harpsichord twiddle right at the end:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I think J Horovitz wrote the theme music for the later series with Edward Petherbridge. And I see (arcane knowledge this) that Wimey whistles a tune from BWV 225 in "Clouds of Witness"

Comment

• Anna

And I see (arcane knowledge this) that Wimey whistles a tune from BWV 225 in "Clouds of Witness"
                            Nebulous clouds?
                            Gosh, you got what I thought was an excellent puzzle by Anton - with a bit of a nudge and a wink!
                            Last edited by Guest; 31-08-13, 18:32.

Comment

• edashtav
                              • Jul 2012

Well after five red herrings at least, you could knock me down with a feather...

I've read a few of the novels and was addicted to the TV series with Ian Carmichael (and have a couple on DVD) but I had NO IDEA that Lord Peter Wimsey named his motor "Mrs Merdle"....!

How had that escaped me?!

And Herbert Chappell wrote the TV theme tune which is one of the key jingles of my childhood I loved and love the twist to the minor in the harpsichord twiddle right at the end:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I think J Horovitz wrote the theme music for the later series with Edward Petherbridge. And I see (arcane knowledge this) that Wimey whistles a tune from BWV 225 in "Clouds of Witness"

Congratulations, Caliban - Five red herrings would have stopped most people in their tracks!

Yes, a fine exercise from Anton!

Comment

• Anna

Congratulations, Caliban - Five red herrings would have stopped most people in their tracks! Yes, a fine exercise from Anton!
                                Or even, Nine Tailors! Confess, never read any Dorothy Sayers nor seen Wimsey, (nor, if Cali gets the A - Agatha Christie, that'll fox me)

Comment

Working...
                                X