Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    an intriguing question

BWV 225 is the motet Singet dem Herrn, but this may well be irrelevant
    Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Scarily relevant......

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Not that scarily......I don't think..but with a little strangeness .....

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

very little I can find out about BWV225, the motets date from 1726-7 when JS was in Leipzig
        was it used in a film or something ?
        I can link Chappell and Horovitz with the word wonderland
        has am51 stopped playing this game ? if I offended him or anyone on one of the gay threads I apologise

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          very little I can find out about BWV225, the motets date from 1726-7 when JS was in Leipzig
          was it used in a film or something ?
          I can link Chappell and Horovitz with the word wonderland
          has am51 stopped playing this game ? if I offended him or anyone on one of the gay threads I apologise
          We are talking a very British person not a season ......don't know about Ams but he like clues......

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

We are talking a very British person not a season ......don't know about Ams but he like clues......
            The Dickens is an autoclue.....Ams has been found.......AA is as the grave.....

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

what's an autoclue ? something to do with cars ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Herbert Chappell
                Joseph Horovitz

A little time to cogitate on this now...

The above gentlemen both wrote 'accessible' jazzy bible pieces in the 1960s, sort of poor man's Technicolour Dreamcoat affairs I seem to remember, namely The Daniel Jazz and Captain Noah and his Floating Zoo... A memory is resurfacing of the short-trousered Caliban being compelled to take part in a performance of one or the other - the Chappell piece I think - and finding it a little naff Already a stuck-up toffee-nosed elitist, see?

Can't find any link with the Bach or - and I should know this - Little Dorrit at the moment. I agree with mercs, your 'autoclue' has rather muddied my water on that front !

(Mercia - did you see, Ams is on holiday in France till next week? I'm sure you wouldn't have offended him - mind you, what did you say?! I didn't see it)

Comment

• Anna

I was just wondering, rather than the answer being overtly musical, whether a fictional creation might fit the bill?

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Are we talking, I wonder, about an Oxford "English" gentleman who is buried in Vienna, who knew Mrs (Phaidon Press) Horovitz and taught her son?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

We await anton's further advices... Seeing what stage of the week it is, he is no doubt attending to Mrs Gould's needs in Fenwick's

Welcome to these tortuous precincts of the Forum, ed Not sure you've ventured down this far before?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                        Are we talking, I wonder, about an Oxford "English" gentleman who is buried in Vienna, who knew Mrs (Phaidon Press) Horovitz and taught her son?
                        I do believe we might be! At least, that's the answer I'm coming up with but from another direction, starting with Dorrit.
                        Anton (who set the puzzle) is no doubt shopping in Fenwicks at the moment .... things are a bit slow generally here at the moment, please expound your theory if you wish - I'm not really playing, just passing through.
                        Edit: cross posted with Cali about anton's shopping habits!!

Comment

• edashtav
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          I do believe we might be! At least, that's the answer I'm coming up with but from another direction, starting with Dorrit.
                          Anton (who set the puzzle) is no doubt shopping in Fenwicks at the moment .... things are a bit slow generally here at the moment, please expound your theory if you wish - I'm not really playing, just passing through.
                          Edit: cross posted with Cali about anton's shopping habits!!
                          Is your Dorrit on film, Anna: "Kleine"? (It's my missing link, I can't prove who composed its music, Anna !) . I'm a bit wobbly on the Bach but whether it sounded at the opening of a Theatre.

In answer to "I like my Ravel with rhinestones" aka Caliban, I been here before but fled "like a ghost before the night".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

"I like my Ravel with rhinestones" aka Caliban
                            Now then, now then

I been here before but fled "like a ghost before the night".
                            Glad you flitted back!

I think you should get the answer with Anna's help, and then set your début question You'd be allowed to kick off a new round with a bright shiny A question, should you wish, rather than faffing around at the ****-end of the alphabet!

Comment

• Anna

Is your Dorrit on film, Anna: "Kleine"? (It's my missing link, I can't prove who composed its music, Anna !) . I'm a bit wobbly on the Bach but whether it sounded at the opening of a Theatre.

In answer to "I like my Ravel with rhinestones" aka Caliban, I been here before but fled "like a ghost before the night".
                              Cripes edashtav, perhaps our paths have diverged! I was going on the preumption that said gent in question had a motor named for a Dickens character!
                              As always, AA can be a parallel universe. In which I am sometimes a bit nebulous ....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                I am sometimes a bit nebulous ....
                                What a coincidence, I can sometimes be a bit crabby...

Where is that anton bloke?! There must be a summer sale on at Fenwick's, endless queues of punch-drunk shoppers at the tills!

Comment

Working...
                                X