X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

A libretto on the subject of Ivan the Terrible was offered to Charles Gounod in January 1856 by the general administrator of the Paris Opera, François Louis Crosnier. Gounod worked with enthusiasm and press announcements anticipated that rehearsals would begin that November. Although Gounod completed the work in 1857 or 1858, failure to have it performed at the Paris Opera led Gounod to use parts of the score in later works; the Soldiers’ Chorus in Faust came from Ivan the Terrible. Gounod's score was auctioned in 1963 and destroyed shortly after. Around 1862, with Gounod's encouragement, Bizet began work on the same libretto.

wikipedia

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      A libretto on the subject of Ivan the Terrible was offered to Charles Gounod in January 1856 by the general administrator of the Paris Opera, François Louis Crosnier. Gounod worked with enthusiasm and press announcements anticipated that rehearsals would begin that November. Although Gounod completed the work in 1857 or 1858, failure to have it performed at the Paris Opera led Gounod to use parts of the score in later works; the Soldiers’ Chorus in Faust came from Ivan the Terrible. Gounod's score was auctioned in 1963 and destroyed shortly after. Around 1862, with Gounod's encouragement, Bizet began work on the same libretto.

wikipedia
      Triffic work mercs

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Morning Star, double bass concerto,2003, by Ivan Moody

I'm only doing this so that somebody else can set t'next question
        Last edited by mercia; 27-07-13, 19:08.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Ivan Fischer, founder of the Hungarian Mahler Society

with thunder and lightning overhead, I probably ought to switch my computer off

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            Ivan Fischer, founder of the Hungarian Mahler Society

with thunder and lightning overhead, I probably ought to switch my computer off
            As usual with Magic mercs correct in every detail...........

But he doesn't want the Job on offer.....

Comment

• Anna

I thought the Morning Star was Ivan Beavis, the campaigner. Oh well, I haven't played for a while ...
              I could do a J if needs be for a bit of fun (sorry to butt in)

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                I thought the Morning Star was Ivan Beavis, the campaigner. Oh well, I haven't played for a while ...
                I could do a J if needs be for a bit of fun (sorry to butt in)
                Oh yes please Anna ......I'm sure that will cause mercs' thunderclouds to roll away, and may even bring Rumpole back to the Chambers.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Oh yes please Anna ......I'm sure that will cause mercs' thunderclouds to roll away, and may even bring Rumpole back to the Chambers.
                  I doubt if even dressing as Mata Hari will bring Rumpole back unto the bosom of AA, but, if all agree, here is a quick and easy J.

One Strikes Out, One says Goodbye and One cannot decide if he is in a Chinese Pavilion or Turkey?.
                  What J am I?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    I have been a gadfly, a lightweight of late... apologies. Finishing up for hols, only around today and tomorrow....

Yes to an Anna question! (EDIT: overtaken by events when this post was interrupted by a phone call)

PS do you have Freeview telly, and if so have you retuned to received the new DRAMA channel (Ch. 20) - lots of drab repeat fare, but every lunchtime, an episode of Rumpole. It's been on repeat record for a couple of weeks, it's been fun to see them again! Some very dodgy bit part acting, but the central performances are great! Best one so far, "Rumpole and the Old Boy Network" about a blackmail claim relating to a brothel for 'the establishment' run for old public school boys by a genteel couple ... featuring the magnificent Bill Fraser as His Honour Judge Roger 'The Mad Bull' Bullingham ... and the slimy 'Soapy Sam' Ballard QC ("Bollard !!!"). Classic stuff!

I doubt if even dressing as Mata Hari will bring Rumpole back unto the bosom of AA
                    You could give it a try, and see....
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      PS do you have Freeview telly, and if so have you retuned to received the new DRAMA channel (Ch. 20) - lots of drab repeat fare, but every lunchtime, an episode of Rumpole.
                      I'm afraid the majoriity of us do not have the luxury of being able to watch daytime telly, having humdrum jobs, unlike lawyers who can pick and choose as and when they care to pick up a fee ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I'm afraid the majoriity of us do not have the luxury of being able to watch daytime telly, having humdrum jobs, unlike lawyers who can pick and choose as and when they care to pick up a fee ...

Two words, Anna:

repeat record
                        Devices are available enabling the 'recording' of inconveniently-scheduled programmes which can then be watched at other times convenient to the individual. It's been sort of big since the late 1970s...

Comment

• Anna

Devices are available enabling the 'recording' of inconveniently-scheduled programmes which can then be watched at other times convenient to the individual. It's been sort of big since the late 1970s... whistle:
                          Ahem. Some of us have vintage tellies and no means of recording, we revel in valves and transformers - now, are you going to have a stab at AA or not?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Ahem. Some of us have vintage tellies and no means of recording, we revel in valves and transformers - now, are you going to have a stab at AA or not?
                            I'm stabbing away!!

Haven't found any alphabetical arteries yet!

Comment

• Anna

I'm stabbing away!!
                              Haven't found any alphabetical arteries yet!
                              I'll give everyone a clue. Highpoint of a recent Prom comes into it.

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

Highpoint of a recent Prom comes into it.
                                perhaps some French jingling
                                Last edited by mercia; 28-07-13, 06:09.

Comment

Working...
                                X