X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Northender View Post
    Which 'T' links a post-war MGM biopic, an Austrian pianist and a German prankster?
    Till Felner is an Austrian pianist and Till Eulenspiegel was a German prankster
    Last edited by Guest; 16-05-13, 17:29. Reason: space

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Till Felner is an Austrian pianist andTill Eulenspiegel was a German prankster

Ams on fire - what we all like to see - Till the Clouds Roll By - MGM biopic of Rumpole's old drinking mate Jerome Kern....

Comment

• Northender

Correct! Over to U, Ams.....

Comment

• amateur51

Correct! Over to U, Ams.....
          Coo cheers Norths!

The voice of what U links Prokofiev, Saint-Saëns and a would-be motoring event at the mouth of the Med?

Comment

• amateur51

Coleslaw Corner ...

Which 'T' links a post-war MGM biopic, an Austrian pianist and a German prankster?
            T = Till

Till the Clouds Roll By -MGM biopic of Jerome Kern; Till Felner is an Austrian pianist; and Till Eulenspigel is a German prankster

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Coo cheers Norths!

The voice of what U links Prokofiev, Saint-Saëns and a would-be motoring event at the mouth of the Med?
              Peter Ustinov I suspect....

Grand Prix of Gibraltar - "A spoof Grand Prix based loosely around the Monaco GP, which Ustinov, a great motor racing fan, occasionally attended. Sir Peter replicates assorted engine noises (he had a cold at the time which helped make his Ferrari V12 sound more authentic), marching bands and klaxons. He lampoons the various personalities and nationalities involved in motor racing in 1958 in a wonderfully non-PC manner."

1960 Grammy Award: Best Recording for Children (Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf) with the Philharmonia Orchestra directed by Herbert von Karajan

He also narrated Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

I am cheekily assuming that I was correct and will move on.

Keeping your answers as pure as possible, please find me a V (or a few) to link Atterberg, Spontini and Walton
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flay View Post

Keeping your answers as pure as possible, please find me a V (or a few) to link Atterberg, Spontini and Walton
                  You are spot on Flay

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

You are spot on Flay
                    At your service, ammy!

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• hedgehog

as pure as possible
                      That'd be Albert Herring then?

or

Walton: Wise virgins ?

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        Walton: Wise virgins ?
                        I thought you were hibernating, Ms Tiggy, but you are as awake as ever!

How's your Swedish?
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• hedgehog

How's your Swedish?
                          Not very good. But on a chandos record there is this: "Atterberg’s beautiful and affecting Suite No. 3 is scored for strings with solo passages for a violin and a viola. It was written as incidental music to a play set in a convent where a nun is abducted by her lover as she prays beneath a statue of the Virgin Mary. Without anybody noticing anything, Mary takes the nun’s place to avoid scandal. Many years later the nun returns penitent and dying, and realises the full extent and consequences of her offences. " That the one?

As ever I'll endeavor to listen to some of Atterburg's music - always do on AA when somebody unknown to me pops up!

Spontini wrote an opera La vestale or The Vestal Virgin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_vestale

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

That the one?
                            I'm afraid not. But:

Spontini wrote an opera La vestale or The Vestal Virgin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_vestale
                            He did indeed Here is the music in its entirety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iseCDIQnX74

As ever I'll endeavor to listen to some of Atterburg's music - always do on AA when somebody unknown to me pops up!
                            AA takes us far and wide and makes us broader people. My initial impression of Atterburg is of a restlessness.

I hadn't heard Walton's arrangement of Bach for his ballet The Wise Virgins. Quite lovely. Here is a Proms performance:

Part 1 of William Walton's arrangement of Bach pieces which form his ballet The Wise Virgins. The pieces are:Mvt. 1: What God hath done is rightly done - Can...

Part 2 of William Walton's arrangements of Bach pieces which form his ballet The Wise Virgins. The pieces are:Mvt. 5: Sheep may safely graze - Cantata BWV 20...

"Ah! How ephemeral" (Cantata BWV 26) - a good motto for AA!

Keep trying for the third V! Unfortunately Google Translate isn't helpful
                            Last edited by Flay; 17-05-13, 07:42. Reason: Spontini link added
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• hedgehog

De fåvitska jungfrurna a ballet (music also arranged for brass) or "the foolish virgins" according to google translate.

Took a punt on jungfrurna because it looked a bit like jungfrau

edit re the ballet.
                              Last edited by Guest; 17-05-13, 09:45.

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

De fåvitska jungfrurna for brass ensemble or "the foolish virgins" according to google translate.

Took a punt on jungfrurna because it looked a bit like jungfrau
                                That'll do. The version I had was his ballet Op. 17 De fåvitska jungfrurna (1920) which I suspect was the original, the work for brass being arranged by Gösta Morberg.

Well done, Ms Tiggy!

Unlike in Albert Herring, we managed to find a good few virgins!

As a youth I attended an Easter music course in Attingham Park. I recall a procession to the bridge over the River Tern for the traditional sacrifice of a virgin. Unfortunately (so it was alleged ) none could be found, so a piece of toast was sacrificed instead. Happy memories!

Do you have an Ultroneous clue for us, Tiggy?
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X