X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Wiki suggests that Glazunov may have written virtually all of the Polovtsian Dances, but attributed it to Borodin
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia

what does TIA stand for ?
      Find out about transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or "mini stroke", including what causes it, the symptoms, how it's diagnosed, and when to seek medical advice.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

an H to symphonically connect

- the founder of the St Ignace Mission, Michigan
        - an 1863 speech
        - the year of Claudio Abbado's birth

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

Thanks, Vinny. TIA = transient ischaemic attack. This is when the blood supply to part of the brain is temporarily occluded. Treatment could prevent an actual stroke happening in the future. Treating a stroke with clot-busting drugs could reduce damage. Risk factors such as blockage to the carotid arteries can be dealt with promptly.

We are seeing fewer stokes happening because of better treatment of blood pressure, cholesterol etc, and the management of atrial fibrillation (an irregular rhythm when the heart rate is not controlled by its normal pacemaker. This can cause small clots to form within the heart that can end up in the brain. Warfarin can reduce this risk).
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            Thanks, Vinny. TIA = transient ischaemic attack. This is when the blood supply to part of the brain is temporarily occluded. Treatment could prevent an actual stroke happening in the future. Treating a stroke with clot-busting drugs could reduce damage. Risk factors such as blockage to the carotid arteries can be dealt with promptly.

We are seeing fewer stokes happening because of better treatment of blood pressure, cholesterol etc, and the management of atrial fibrillation (an irregular rhythm when the heart rate is not controlled by its normal pacemaker. This can cause small clots to form within the heart that can end up in the brain. Warfarin can reduce this risk).
            Great stuff Flay

I think I read somewhere fairly recently that as well as ringing 999, it's not a bad idea to knock back 75mg of aspirin as a clot prophylactic. I take this every day since I had several years of PAF which did not respond to beta-blocker therapy despite my cardio-consultant's unshiftable belief in same. A round or two of ablation did the trick in the end tho' I still take aspirin because I do still get the occasional flutter

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Great stuff Flay

I think I read somewhere fairly recently that as well as ringing 999, it's not a bad idea to knock back 75mg of aspirin as a clot prophylactic. I take this every day since I had several years of PAF which did not respond to beta-blocker therapy despite my cardio-consultant's unshiftable belief in same. A round or two of ablation did the trick in the end tho' I still take aspirin because I do still get the occasional flutter
              Glad your paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (PAF) was sorted, Ammy. Taking aspirin in your situation is reasonable, but for those without any significant history then aspirin could cause more problems than it prevents.

As 999 is being called, there will be little time for a stat dose of aspirin to take effect. The priority is to get a diagnosis, i.e. an urgent scan etc. That way haemorrhages can be ruled out (these would be worsened by anticoagulation)
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Glad your paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (PAF) was sorted, Ammy. Taking aspirin in your situation is reasonable, but for those without any significant history then aspirin could cause more problems than it prevents.

As 999 is being called, there will be little time for a stat dose of aspirin to take effect. The priority is to get a diagnosis, i.e. an urgent scan etc. That way haemorrhages can be ruled out (these would be worsened by anticoagulation)
                Message received and understood, Flay - many thanks for clarifying that

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post

- an 1863 speech
                  The Gettysburg Address methinks....
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Which leads me to Roy Harris

Symphony No. 6 'Gettysburg Address' after Lincoln (1943-1944)
                    Symphony 1933 (1933), sometimes referred to as Symphony No. 1
                    Symphony No. 12 'Père Marquette' (1967-1969) [for tenor solo, speaker and orchestra]
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

oh dear, that was too easy - rather a flayky question which failed to get the pulse racing
                      correct in every partiklar monsieur le docteur

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        oh dear, that was too easy - rather a flayky question which failed to get the pulse racing
                        correct in every partiklar monsieur le docteur

Actually it wasn't all plain sailing. Somehow I found myself studying Edward Vermilye Huntington and Boolean algebra! Anyway it was good research, Lincoln et al.
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                          • Mar 2007

Is down: one of the Herodias family has a sacred fountain on the Island of Odo.
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Is down: one of the Herodias family has a sacred fountain on the Island of Odo.
                            You take us to exotic territory, Dr. F.... we are hiking around the musical landscapes of Akira Ifukube I think....

He wrote the scores to a number of Godzilla movies - Odo being the island from where Godzilla hailed.

Springing from that (geddit?) he wrote La Fontaine sacrée for soprano, viola, bassoon and harp, arranged from the 1964 film score for Mothra vs. Godzilla

He also wrote a ballet on Wilde's Salome in 1948 (the Herodias connection).

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              You take us to exotic territory, Dr. F.... we are hiking around the musical landscapes of Akira Ifukube I think....

He wrote the scores to a number of Godzilla movies - Odo being the island from where Godzilla hailed.

Springing from that (geddit?) he wrote La Fontaine sacrée for soprano, viola, bassoon and harp, arranged from the 1964 film score for Mothra vs. Godzilla

He also wrote a ballet on Wilde's Salome in 1948 (the Herodias connection).

Correct in all respects, Calibs!

Wiki says: "Legend has it that Ifukube decided to become a composer at the age of 14 after hearing a radio performance of Igor Stravinsky's ballet, The Rite of Spring."

A Caliban puzzle is Just what we need to Jugulate us!
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

A Caliban puzzle is Just what we need to Jugulate us!
                                Indeed?

Suck on this then: a J to link Samson, Solomon and Brian (with Deborah and others, for that matter, Occasionally)
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X