• Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

"Zoo", methinks...

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... to be specific, the comic opera Zoo, music by Sullivan, book by Benjamin Charles Stephenson (writing as 'Bolton Rowe'); modern premiere given by Fulham Light Opera in 1971. Aesculapius Carboy a suicidal character therein...

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

back to A again. We will soon need an updated list from the archivist.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by mercia
          sorry, yes of course, I didn't work through to the conclusion

Would it be against the rules to invite Ofcachap to set a question next? I only ask because he seems to feel we are not at the right level at the moment.
          Please don't misunderstand me..it's not a question of being at the right level, whatever that is, if indeed there is such a thing. It's just that, previously, I use to understand the questions and sometimes get the answers, but am now increasingly being left behind by the complexity of both. Any modest attempts at humour on my part are nothing more than an expression of my inability to keep up! As you have recently 'recruited' the odd new contributor, I am sure the thread will continue to thrive. I shall concentrate on my books of 'The Times' crosswords, which are much more straightforward.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post

which A -

- was abbreviated by its triskaidekaphobic creator;
            - liked men, but also had murine interests;
            - are French animals who have copied Billie Holiday -

?

Comment

• Anna

As our archivist is away on holiday I have taken the liberty of updating the list:

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam
              B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger
              C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon
              D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes
              E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, E
              F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure, Frankfurt
              G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, George
              H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry
              I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives
              J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan
              K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King
              L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne
              M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian
              N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples
              O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson Welles
              P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose, Pigs
              Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver
              R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy
              S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott
              T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio
              U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac
              V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity
              W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter, Wenlock
              X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, XI
              Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young
              Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann, Zappa, Zamiel, Zero, Zoo

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                As our archivist is away on holiday
                thought it was a bit quiet
                thanks for that

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  which A -

- was abbreviated by its triskaidekaphobic creator;
                  - liked men, but also had murine interests;
                  - are French animals who have copied Billie Holiday -

?
                  (now that I know the answer) may I say what a very nice question this is

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Yes, I have also had one of those (few, for me) moments of recogntion with this one...

Do elaborate, Monsieur hercule...

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

No, please after you Mr T. I have already done a question today.

this game is far too addictive.
                      Last edited by mercia; 28-03-11, 14:01.

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

Pas du tout, Monsieur. You were first, so please, fire away!

(Even if I were first, my visits here today may be sporadic...)

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

oh if you insist
                          I probably spoke too soon

I have Schoenberg's opera Moses und Aaron being reduced to Moses und Aron because of his fear of the number 13 (which, according to Wikipedia, ultimately led to his death)
                          Then I have Aaron Copland's music to the film Of Mice and Men
                          and finally a duo called Artificial Animals Riding on Neverland (AaRON) covering a Billie Holiday song Strange Fruit

I had to look up the word murine
                          correction - I had to look up the whole lot

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

oh if you insist
                            I probably spoke too soon

I have Schoenberg's opera Moses und Aaron being reduced to Moses und Aron because of his fear of the number 13 (which, according to Wikipedia, ultimately led to his death)
                            Then I have Aaron Copland's music to the film Of Mice and Men
                            and finally a duo called Artificial Animals Riding on Neverland (AaRON) covering a Billie Holiday song Strange Fruit

I had to look up the word murine
                            Excellent.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              Excellent.
                              Cor!

Well done all, I say!

Comment

• Anna

The only one I had was Of Mice and Men but I was looking for some sort of Steinbeck connection! So well done both of you. (And I had to look up murine as well, I thought it meant something to do with shells!)

Comment

Working...
                                X