X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedgehog

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    According to wiki:

"[Luc] Ferrari's Presque rien No. 1 'Le Lever du jour au bord de la mer' (1970) is regarded as a classic of its kind. In it, Ferrari takes a day-long recording of environmental sounds at a Yugoslavian beach and, through editing, makes a piece that lasts just twenty-one minutes. It has been seen as an affirmation of John Cage's idea that music is always going on all around us, and if only we were to stop to listen to it, we would realise this."

Correct! (I knew I should've left out Yugoslavia ) So that leaves you with plenty of time to finish the coleslaw whilst generating a G

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      Correct! (I knew I should've left out Yugoslavia ) So that leaves you with plenty of time to finish the coleslaw whilst generating a G
      Sadly I am going out so I'll be quite happy for whomsoever cracks the second part to take over for the G

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

F to link a holiday by an Algerian river, daybreak by the seaside (in Yugoslavia ) – incredibly beautiful!
        I think we're going to need clues to carry on...

If Luc Ferrari is the daybreak answer, I looked for other works by him, without success.

I also looked up the operas of Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari... but no luck.

Stumped...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

If Luc Ferrari is the daybreak answer, I looked for other works by him, without success.

Stumped...
          Similarly stumped, Cali

Where is the prickly one in our hour of need?

Comment

• Northender

Perhaps the change in the weather has led him to aestivate.

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Stumped...
              Ferrari is the answer! All his works are listed on the same wiki site as Am51's qoute:

Promenade symphonique dans un paysage musical ou Un jour de fête à El Oued en 1976

Un jour de fête à El Oued =holiday on an Algerian river ( El Oued is a city but also arabic for river)

and unheimlich schön = incredibly beautiful! (as one translation, it depends how one regards unheimlich - such as "terribly nice" in English)

G still belongs to Ams51

Comment

• amateur51

Ferrari is the answer! All his works are listed on the same wiki site as Am51's qoute:

Promenade symphonique dans un paysage musical ou Un jour de fête à El Oued en 1976

Un jour de fête à El Oued =holiday on an Algerian river ( El Oued is a city but also arabic for river)

and unheimlich schön = incredibly beautiful! (as one translation, it depends how one regards unheimlich - such as "terribly nice" in English)

G still belongs to Ams51
                Ooops you're absolutely correct, hodge twas there all the time, my bad (as the young 'uns say, I'm told )

I'll need a moment or two to gather my thoughts before producing a G

Comment

• amateur51

OK this should get us off to a flying start ...

What G links the premiere of a musical meditation on dreaming, a non-musical up-and-down tale of building materials, and the king of the sea?

Comment

• Northender

Might I be right in assuming that Gerard Hoffnung is involved in some way?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                      Might I be right in assuming that Gerard Hoffnung is involved in some way?
                      Oh that'sd blown it - you're right but it's not what's on the card - it's the card that's wrong. I'll adjust the question

Comment

• amateur51

Revised puzzle: What G links the premiere of a musical meditation on dreaming, a saviour of apples noted for his choral works, and the king of the sea?

My apologies to all but to Norths in particular

Comment

• amateur51

I'm out all day now, should be back around 19:00

Comment

• Northender

Am I right in assuming that the well known apple-grower Gerald Finzi is involved?

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

looks like funny-old Lord Berners is involved again

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

I guess the dreamer was McBurney.

Comment

Working...
                                X