• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    It's Elektra.

Edit: I have no idea about the links with the original question however.
    I thought about Elektra too, after the 'Endeavour' clue (haven't watched that yet) but found no obvious link with
    Originally posted by Northender View Post
    Graz, St. Helens and Budapest?
    came up so I dismissed it.

The Doors link looks convincing though...

'Elektra' has certainly been performed in Graz and Budapest in the last year or two... and I'm sure someone has listened to it in St Helen's...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

This could be taking us back to Enos powders!

Thomas Beecham was born in St Helens in 1879. He staged the first English performance of Elektra in 1910
      Last edited by Flay; 22-04-13, 08:03. Reason: "us" not "is" !! :grr:
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        This could be taking is back to Enos powders!

Thomas Beecham was born in St Helens in 1879. He staged the first english performance of Elektra in 1910

Nice associating, Dr F !!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Ernst von Schuch, with whom I had so much trouble in RM's Elektra question last month, conducted Elektra premiere, born in Graz

Budapest connection ?
          Last edited by mercia; 22-04-13, 08:23.

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            Budapest connection ?
            Bartok wrote an essay about the first performance of Elektra at the Royal Hungarian Opera House on 11th March 1910. He "expresses a specific dislike for this opera and feels it especially disappointing after Salome. Expects more from such a gifted composer"

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=a...lektra&f=false (page 46)

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              This could be taking us back to Enos powders!

Thomas Beecham was born in St Helens in 1879. He staged the first English performance of Elektra in 1910

He did indeed - and von Schuch, who was born in Graz, conducted the European and (indeed world) premiere. The American premiere was conducted by Budapest-born ..... ....... (and Jim Morrison and The Doors recorded for the Elektra label).

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

..... .......
                Please sir, please sir.....

Fritz Reiner
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Northender

...is...the right answer.
                  I gave you the birthplaces of the three conductors of, respectively, the European/world, British and American premieres of 'Elektra' which is also the name of the record label for which Jim Morrison and the doors recorded.
                  A fine example, if I may make so bold, as AA teamwork at its best. I'm inclined to award the 'F' to our spiny friend.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I thought about Elektra too, [...] and I'm sure someone has listened to it in St Helen's...
                    Where's Angle when you need him?

Comment

• amateur51

I gave you the birthplaces of the three conductors of, respectively, the European/world, British and American premieres of 'Elektra' which is also the name of the record label for which Jim Morrison and the doors recorded.
                      A fine example, if I may make so bold, as AA teamwork at its best. I'm inclined to award the 'F' to our spiny friend.
                      So not Manfred Eicher of EMC then?

Comment

• Northender

Not unless he tried to pass himself off as 'Elektra', which, as has been pointed out, is the answer.

Comment

• amateur51

Not unless he tried to pass himself off as 'Elektra', which, as has been pointed out, is the answer.
                          Manifestly ... I'll go & mind my dust then

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

I guess Reiner, Beecham and Morrison have all Broken on Through to the other side as did most of the characters in Elektra - I guess for some of them their Fire was lit, ready and burning.

Comment

• hedgehog

Congrats to the AA team! My thought too was that the places were premieres, but I had little time to do the footwork.

Well since I passed on the D, had an E but was pipped to the post(ing) by Northender, I shall now ask for an F to link a holiday by an Algerian river, daybreak by the seaside (in Yugoslavia ) – incredibly beautiful!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                Congrats to the AA team! My thought too was that the places were premieres, but I had little time to do the footwork.

Well since I passed on the D, had an E but was pipped to the post(ing) by Northender, I shall now ask for an F to link a holiday by an Algerian river, daybreak by the seaside (in Yugoslavia ) – incredibly beautiful!
                                According to wiki:

"[Luc] Ferrari's Presque rien No. 1 'Le Lever du jour au bord de la mer' (1970) is regarded as a classic of its kind. In it, Ferrari takes a day-long recording of environmental sounds at a Yugoslavian beach and, through editing, makes a piece that lasts just twenty-one minutes. It has been seen as an affirmation of John Cage's idea that music is always going on all around us, and if only we were to stop to listen to it, we would realise this."

Comment

Working...
                                X