X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedgehog

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Ah! You get a different Klas of composer in Sweden.

Could be, 'tho'? Particularly popular with popes?
    Yes, I tend to forget about popes.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

The trouble is, I've been looking for Finnish Clarinet Concerti with fourth movements with "Urban" in the title, and Brazilian Urban Toccatas ... but ziltch! Is it an urban myth?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hedgehog

The trouble is, I've been looking for Finnish Clarinet Concerti with fourth movements with "Urban" in the title, and Brazilian Urban Toccatas ... but ziltch! Is it an urban myth?
        No most definitely not - they do exist, the naxos online search engine is most useful. What is a myth is that I know (of) the Brazilian. It's the Peurto Rican of whom I've heard.

(He was a student of Ligeti, not that that says anything, just that he was kicking around Europe for a while.)

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

I've found a clarinettist called Urban Claesson

fancy that !

Comment

• hedgehog

P.S. The original trio (unlike Klas) used the word Urbana (what a missed opportunity to have a pope joke). So there is a Brazillian Toccata urbana.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              (He was a student of Ligeti, not that that says anything, just that he was kicking around Europe for a while.)
              There's an orchestral work called Tropicalia by Puerto Rican student of Ligeti, Roberto Sierra. Can't find any urban links, though!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

So there is a Brazillian Toccata urbana.
                ... by Ricardo Tacuchian.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

There's an orchestral work called Tropicalia by Puerto Rican student of Ligeti, Roberto Sierra. Can't find any urban links, though!
                  Except that he studied at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana?

Comment

• hedgehog

That'll do, piece is called Memorias Tropicales (the tropical memories in my original text). First mvt is memoria urbana. You can unveil Klas if you like, or work a while on Various things.

Congratulations! Have a Virtual Easter egg on me!

Comment

• hedgehog

Oh we have forgotten the Finn!

I'll provide the full coleslaw now:

Sebastian Fagerlund (b. 1972), Finnish composer: Clarinet concerto, 4th mvt entitled urbana
                      Ricardo Tacuchian (b. 1939 ), Brazilian composer: Toccata urbana
                      Roberto Sierra (b.1953), Peurto Rican composer: memoria urbana from Memorias Tropicales

Plus Klas Torstensson, Swedish composer (b. 1951) Urban Songs, Urban Solo, Urban Intro, Urban Extra (urban et cetera....)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

That'll do, piece is called Memorias Tropicales (the tropical memories in my original text). First mvt is memoria urbana. You can unveil Klas if you like, or work a while on Various things.

Congratulations! Have a Virtual Easter egg on me!
                        I have a virtual tummy ache: too much chocolate.

Klas Torstensson wrote works called Urban Songs and Urban Solos.

A wise V chatted with Nathan Milstein and Joseph Brodsky (amongst others ); a double V is part of a twosome from the Venice of the North; the final V Caged the Prommers from Iceland.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I have a virtual tummy ache: too much chocolate.

Klas Torstensson wrote works called Urban Songs and Urban Solos.

A wise V chatted with Nathan Milstein and Joseph Brodsky (amongst others ); a double V is part of a twosome from the Venice of the North; the final V Caged the Prommers from Iceland.
                          Could it be Vladimir as in 1 Horowitz and 3 Ashkenazy. Is the Venice of the North St Petersburg?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Oh we have forgotten the Finn!

I'll provide the full coleslaw now:

Sebastian Fagerlund (b. 1972), Finnish composer: Clarinet concerto, 4th mvt entitled urbana
                            Ricardo Tacuchian (b. 1939 ), Brazilian composer: Toccata urbana
                            Roberto Sierra (b.1953), Peurto Rican composer: memoria urbana from Memorias Tropicales

Plus Klas Torstensson, Swedish composer (b. 1951) Urban Songs, Urban Solo, Urban Intro, Urban Extra (urban et cetera....)
                            Fagerlund doesn't even get a mention in Groves or the Oxford reference book.

And they also have Sierra as an American composer who studied in Puerto Rico !

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Is the Venice of the North St Petersburg?
                              It is - and there is a Vladimir involved (the one from St Petersburg) - but the V isn't "Vladimir".

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Is the Venice of the North St Petersburg?

It is
                                ... and I had just lined up all sorts of interesting Vecchias with links to Edinburgh, and to Milstein, and to Brodsky...

... but of course Embra is the Athens of the North, not the Venice of the North ! [:much missed DOH! emoticon :] [:too many glasses of meursault with easter lunch emoticon:]
                                Last edited by vinteuil; 31-03-13, 19:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X