X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

the premiere of Elektra was conducted by Ernst von Shuh whom google reckons went under the name of Willi. He also wrote a biography of Strauss and premiered quite a few operas.

I don't know why wikipedia insists on calling him Ernst von Shuh, everywhere else he is Willi.

not sure about these "first six" who "have to switch" - I wondered if it was anything to do with the Elektra Records label. wikipedia says that in the score of Strauss's opera a sub-division of the violas (six in number ???? ) unusually have to double as a fourth violin section.

UPDATE - well another website I've found says it is definitely six violas doing the switching to violin

funnily enough that website also says the conductor was Ernst von Shuh

sorry, that's my best offer on the switching six. Am I the only person left playing this game ???
    Last edited by mercia; 22-03-13, 05:25.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      the premiere of Elektra was conducted by Ernst von Shuh whom google reckons went under the name of Willi. He also wrote a biography of Strauss and premiered quite a few operas.

I don't know why wikipedia insists on calling him Ernst von Shuh, everywhere else he is Willi.
      That is because wiki is confusing Ernst (the conductor) with my man Willi Wirk (who has hardly a Google entry to his name) and Willi was the opera director at the first performance of Elektra in Dresden ...the one where Annie Krull sang.

There is something about the orchestral forces for Elektra that will yield the last one.

But more than happy to provide this final element if folks have had enough and to pass to mercs a well-earned ​F

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

you're up early RM - my last post has expanded to hopefully include the switching six

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
          That is because wiki is confusing Ernst (the conductor) with my man Willi Wirk (who has hardly a Google entry to his name) and Willi was the opera director at the first performance of Elektra in Dresden
          this is very confusing - if you google Willi Schuh there's at least one person who thinks that was the conductor's name
          but there's also a music critic/author called Willi Schuh who seems to have written extensively about Strauss

EDIT - perhaps it's just me that is confused. I've now googled Willi Wirk and there are plenty of references to him as the director with Ernst von Schuh as conductor making wikipedia quite correct.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

to summarise

Richard Strauss - Elektra
            premiered 25/1/1909 at Dresden State Opera, directed by Willi Wirk, title role sung by Annie Krull

and the score requires six of the violas to double up as a fourth violin section

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

is this game sinking below the waves again ?

anyway, an F to link

Leptosia nina, Matthew 5:3-12 and a girls' choir conducted by Paul Bonneau

Comment

• hedgehog

is this game sinking below the waves again ?

anyway, an F to link

Leptosia nina, Matthew 5:3-12 and a girls' choir conducted by Paul Bonneau
                Keep bobbing about there in your lifeboat mercia, I'm impossibly busy up until Easter, Paul Bonneau's choir was Les Djinns? Can't see the connection to F, but it does give me the chance to quote from Bill Bryson's book Mother Tongue on the holorime:

The French, in accordance with their high regard of the cerebral, have long cultivated a love of wordplay. In the Middle Ages, they even had a post of Anagrammatist to the King.
                One of the more clever French word games is the holorime, in which two lines of a poem are pronounced the same but use different words.
                As you can see in the following example, sense often takes a backseat to euphony in these
                contrivances:
                Par le bois du Djinn, ou s’entasse de l’effroi,
                Parle! Bois du gin, ou cent tasses de lait froid!

It translates roughly as ‘ When going through the Djinn’s woods, surrounded by so much fear, keep talking. Drink gin or a hundred cups of cold milk.’

Edit: spelling blackout
                Last edited by Guest; 22-03-13, 08:57.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  Paul Bonneau's choir was Les Ginns
                  or even Les Djinns the name of a musical composition ?

I like your holorime

Comment

• hedgehog

OMG I wrote Ginns! Shows how stressed I am at the moment. Ok Les Djinns is by César Franck, so that is probably the F.

But I have to go now and I'll be busy until early evening.......

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

this is very confusing - if you google Willi Schuh there's at least one person who thinks that was the conductor's name
                      but there's also a music critic/author called Willi Schuh who seems to have written extensively about Strauss

EDIT - perhaps it's just me that is confused. I've now googled Willi Wirk and there are plenty of references to him as the director with Ernst von Schuh as conductor making wikipedia quite correct.
                      Just going back to the Elektra conundrum (can't keep up with you early risers ) this book says the premiere was 'under the direction of' (which I mistakenly took to mean 'conducted by') Willi Schuh:

"Electra's story is essentially a tale of murder, revenge, and violence. In the ancient myth of Atreus, Agamemnon returns home from battle and receives no hero's welcome. Instead, he is greeted with an ax, murdered in his bath by his wife, Clytemnestra, and her lover-accomplice, Aegisthus. Electra chooses anger over sorrow and stops at nothing to ensure that her mother pays. In revenge, Electra, with the help of her brother, orchestrates a brutal and bloody matricide, and her reward is the restitution of her father's good name. Amid all this chaos, Electra, Agamemnon's princess daughter, must bear the humiliation of being treated as a slave girl and labeled a madwoman."--from the IntroductionAlmost everyone knows about Oedipus and his mother, and many readers would put the Oedipus myth at the forefront of Western collective mythology. In Electra after Freud, Jill Scott leaves that couple behind and argues convincingly for the primacy of the countermyth of Agamemnon and his daughter. Through a lens of Freudian and feminist psychoanalysis, this book views renderings of the Electra myth in twentieth-century literature and culture.Scott reads several pivotal texts featuring Electra to demonstrate what she calls "a narrative revolt" against the dominance of Oedipus as archetype. Situating the Electra myth within a framework of psychoanalysis, medicine, opera, and dance, Scott investigates the heroine's role at the intersections of history and the feminine, eros and thanatos, hysteria and melancholia. Scott analyzes Electra adaptations by H.D., Hofmannsthal and Strauss, Musil, and Plath and highlights key moments in the telling and reception of the Electra myth in the modern imagination.

I'd actually got as far as this last night, but then I found a website saying the conductor was Ernst von Schuch (note different spelling):

So I concluded that the book had mixed him up with the much younger Willi Schuh, the musicologist you mention who was also later involved with Strauss! Devilishly confusing clue, RM.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                        Ernst von Schuch (note different spelling)
                        oh yes, JFLL, I clearly hadn't noticed that difference in spelling I'm afraid I got in a complete muddle
                        Last edited by mercia; 22-03-13, 11:51.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                          .....Devilishly confusing clue, RM.
                          Thank you for that I do try!

It does help that my local library allows me online access to Groves and the suite of Oxford Music reference books. Yours might do as well. There, my secret is out.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            Les Djinns is by César Franck, so that is probably the F.
                            Franck is indeed the F - so that's one down, two to go

Comment

• amateur51

Leptosia wasserface is also known as Psyché, another piece by Squeezer Franck

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Leptosia wasserface is also known as Psyché, another piece by Squeezer Franck
                                beautifully put - bless you

Comment

Working...
                                X