• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post

T
    Was Hamburg the source of this fantasy? Leonore's hubby will know. He knows his fine art(s).
    Looks as if I shall be keeping my thoughts on the Aussie Grand Prix to myself then!

For "T" I was thinking TRIO.

Clue one makes me think of Telemann and his Hamburg Water music (source) and Trio-Sonatas

Clue two makes me think of the Florestan Trio (Susan Tomes et al, very excellent they are too)

Clue three implies the Beaux-Arts Trio (confirmed by your French translation clue)

Am I close?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

on that Top Gear programme do all those people standing around laughing at his jokes get paid? they seem to be 'performing extras'
      Don't worry, Anna - Clarkson and Top Gear won't enter in here, and I agree mercia, the studio audience bits seem fake. I do like some of their films of great cars in great scenery. It's very much a 'fast forward through the dodgy bits' programme for me.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Am I close?
        More than. Glad you got Beaux Arts before my clue. So 2 Trio ensembles got so far (Florestan correct as well) so the third is likely to be an ensemble too, oui?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

More than. Glad you got Beaux Arts before my clue. So 2 Trio ensembles got so far (Florestan correct as well) so the third is likely to be an ensemble too, oui?
          Oh I see... Well the accented word 'fantasy' makes me think of the Trio Wanderer...

Let me see if they are from Hamburg (I thought they were Belgian)

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

so who's going to win the Australian GP?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

so who's going to win the Australian GP?
              Well everyone thought that the Red Bull team (whose young German Sebastian Vettel was Champion last year) would dominate, and our two Brits (Hamilton and Button) at McLaren were saying that their car was a loser. But then they were fastest in the first day of practice earlier. So - who knows...

I see the Trio Wanderer are French in fact. There is a Trio Hamburg, but that's too obvious...
              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 25-03-11, 23:05. Reason: grammatical faux-pas

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                There is a Trio Hamburg
                oh dear, didn't know that. Ofcachap will be giving me one of his cross faces.
                My Trio is named after a street near the Hamburg Conservatory.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

oh dear, didn't know that. Ofcachap will be giving me one of his cross faces.
                  My Trio is named after a street near the Hamburg Conservatory.
                  "The name "Fontenay" is old French for "source" and "fantasy", and is also the name of the street near the Hamburg Conservatory where the ensemble first met to practice."

Merci, Wikipedia....

So: Trio Fontenay

Very neat one, mercia! Thanks, makes me feel less zombified than I've been feeling most of today

About to eat here, so not sure when I will be able to drive everyone round the U-bend

Comment

• Anna

Well done Caliban, now if I had rushed in and got the T you could all have guessed it and be watching Anna Nicole right now on BBC4!

For U. you cannot have Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown
                    Last edited by Guest; 25-03-11, 23:41.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Well done Caliban, now if I had rushed in and got the T you could all have guessed it and be watching Anna Nicole right now on BBC4!

For U. you cannot have Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown
                      Indeed! Well here we go. Something to start the weekend. I suspect it's too easy, but hey, it's late.

A Count's daughter and a Countess became publicly known thanks to this U - "most true" said Richard, who was behind it all.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Is this anything to do with Dawn Upshaw?

She premiered the role of Clemence, the Countess of Tripoli, in Saariho's opera L'Amour de Loin in 2000 (me neither..)

But then the trail runs a bit cold... Daughter of a Countess? Is this Miss Julie? It wouldn't be Alwyn, and the Rorem was premiered in 1965 when Ms Upshaw was about 5 yrs old, so unlikely...

And "most true". Hmm... Is this anything to do with Verismo? But surely that would be Verissimo...?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                          Is this anything to do with Dawn Upshaw?

She premiered the role of Clemence, the Countess of Tripoli, in Saariho's opera L'Amour de Loin in 2000 (me neither..)

But then the trail runs a bit cold... Daughter of a Countess? Is this Miss Julie? It wouldn't be Alwyn, and the Rorem was premiered in 1965 when Ms Upshaw was about 5 yrs old, so unlikely...

And "most true". Hmm... Is this anything to do with Verismo? But surely that would be Verissimo...?
                          Rubbernecker, you are on the right sort of track but the wrong people / characters - so no, not Ms Upshaw.

But the logic of your answer is right (apart from the 'verismo' / 'verissimo' reference which is off the mark). And the "most true" quote is a translation from another language, though not Italian.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I'm lost I too was toying with Upshaw but now with my failed O level French......................

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I'm lost I too was toying with Upshaw but now with my failed O level French......................
                              Nothing to do with French, anton

Rubberknickers was on the right track with opera. Which Richards wrote opera, I wonder....

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Stilgoe and to a lesser extent Strauss and possibly Wagner?

Comment

Working...
                                X