X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Maria Jeritza starred in the title role of Richard Strauss' The Egyptian Helena (1928)
    lots of crossposting - well done to all animals who's next ?

Egyptian Concerto, Israel in Egypt, The Egyptian Helen

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      But I feel you were all rather harsh on poor hedgehog yesterday. She is a newbie and surely is permitted to bend the rules a little by way of testing the waters.
      It was probably me, but I'm sure H knows she is hugely welcome and her thought processes have reactivated us all...

Because after all:

But I see we have moved on!!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hedgehog

If Resurrection Man is willing, I'll pass - have other things to do tonight. (Otherwise tomorrow.)

Caliban: but worth the picture - didn't know that one!

Comment

• Anna

I woke up twice last night worrying about the answer to C being Crumbs (thank you mercia!) Of course I realised I had read the messages wrongly. I had not a clue re D having been waylaid by Dudley Moore and forgetting his Colonel Bogey was Beethoven, not a Telemann pastiche, but it lead me down byways and highways of his (not all of them savoury)
          Hedgehog is a breath of fresh air to this thread, and she can cook! And, furthermore, is only the second female to chance her arm here.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

No no no no no! You beat me to it and the F is all yours, my Friend. Go Forth

(and Wiki let me down with the Moravian Thunderbolt ..no mention of the Egyptian Princess at all )

I am going to be away tomorrow and Tuesday and wouldn't be able to give any feedback. I'm sure we can wait a wee while for Hedge ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I wonder if Anna might fill in with an F having passed on the D that was beyond all reasonable doubt hers with a bow on top

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                I wonder if Anna might fill in with an F having passed on the D that was beyond all reasonable doubt hers with a bow on top
                What D did I get? I remember a C but I did not get Daniel in the lion's den! No, nor did I get an Egyptian. nor did I ever walk like one. Your honour, I submit this making me have a F is nothing more, nor less, than marital coercian!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  What D did I get? I remember a C but I did not get Daniel in the lion's den! No, nor did I get an Egyptian. nor did I ever walk like one. Your honour, I submit this making me have a F is nothing more, nor less, than marital coercian!!

You passed on setting the D (i.e it was "yours") because you got the C

Honestly...

So I stepped in.

Don't feel like stepping in to set the F question as RM and Hedgy are unavailable?

Mind you, you have some murder drama to catch up with! (see my advice re Broadchurch!)

Comment

• Anna

Oh, I am just about to dish up, me garlic bread is getting singed ... and, you have made me feel so guilty as usual ..... I'll look in a lot later

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Oh, I am just about to dish up, me garlic bread is getting singed ... and, you have made me feel so guilty as usual ..... I'll look in a lot later

Bon appétit!!

Comment

• hedgehog

Patience people, here is an F for a duke, a pagan (though sacred) and the common man!

Comment

• Anna

It could be Fanfare, but is that too simple? I suspect so!

Comment

• hedgehog

It could be Fanfare, but is that too simple? I suspect so!
                            No it is that simple, so proceed Anna, for you'll not get away with another letter avoidance

(mind you there are at least 2 dukes I can think of here)

Comment

• Anna

I thought: Copland - FF for the common man; Grainger- The Duke of Marlborough's FF and Roussel - FF for a pagan coronation. ?

Comment

• hedgehog

I thought: Copland - FF for the common man; Grainger- The Duke of Marlborough's FF and Roussel - FF for a pagan coronation. ?
                                That'll do! Duke Ellington wrote a fanfare too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0_Rp78UYQ

Hope in the meantime, you've been gestating on the next letter?

Comment

Working...
                                X