• Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man

We crossed posts!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      Got it...Cabezon.
      Blimey..I think I'd rather do ten rounds with Mike Tyson!
      Care to share to us exhausted puzzlers your road to Damascus moment?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        I'm Confused....

Are we not therefore looking for a single C word or name (or at least versions in various languages of a single name) ... but just a collection of five different C names?

That's a rather different game from the AA model, no?
        Hedgers, could you clarify: are the C composers you are referring to linked by some other single C word - which is the ultimate goal here?

If we are searching for disparate words or names, in various languages, I do think the whole thing becomes too diffuse and rareified.

To recall the fons et origo, in Post #1

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Basically, you name between 3 and 6 words or short phrases, and ask for the thing that links them together. You have to do it in alphabetical order, so that the first answer starts with an A, the second B etc.

Where it should be fairly easy, you stick to three initial "clues", but where a bit more help may be needed you add more - up to a max of 6, so it doesn't get cumbersome. But all questions should be gettable - there's no point researching for really obscure connections cos almost nobody will be able to answer.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
          Got it...Cabezon.

Blimey..I think I'd rather do ten rounds with Mike Tyson!

Ah - cross posted!yes you are correct!

Hmmmm I have to deliberate on this one as to who is the winner...... meaning dinner is ready and I shall come back after it.

Well done all!

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

I must decline the D [if it was heading my way] - things to do

amazing C question

Comment

• amateur51

Oh hodge, always beware a lawyer when he descends to referring to the fons et origo - especially when he's a silver-tongued cavalier of renown such as Caliban.

Pussenally, as the recorded Irish voice says on the Jubilee Line, I'd appreciate some all-encompassing coleslaw at this point

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Care to share to us exhausted puzzlers your road to Damascus moment?
                It was a long hard slog, Anna. I went to the Wiki page of composers beginning with C then laboriously took each Spanish sounding one and stuck it into Google translate to see what came up. Thank God the composer wasn't someone like Cyrano !

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

if someone wanted coleslaw - five composers with names beginning with C

Thomas Campion = red & white flowers - [English]
                  Loyset Compere = accomplice - [French]
                  Antonio de Cabezon = pig-headed - [Spanish]
                  Ernest Chausson = slipper - [French]
                  Emilio de' Cavalieri = horsemen - [Italian]

simples !! - the overall C word was CRUMBS !!!!
                  Last edited by mercia; 09-03-13, 19:47.

Comment

• hedgehog

Hedgers, could you clarify: are the C composers you are referring to linked by some other single C word - which is the ultimate goal here?

If we are searching for disparate words or names, in various languages, I do think the whole thing becomes too diffuse and rareified.

To recall the fons et origo, in Post #1
                    Having now supped on an excellent soup.

Now lookey here Mr Caliban. I think my intial question was quite clear - and I defined it later: a group of C's ( composers ) each beginning with the letter C - I clarified that later.... and then the sentence contained the clues to each of those C's. A matter of looking at what is written and interpreting that en face as opposed to that which was once inscribed on a tablet?

So now to the prize of the day - barring mercia, I think it falls to Anna - I'm quite sure she had got the gist of the thing without google aids. That combined with her knowledge of St Stephan on the letter B - Prize of the day!

Now Anna, it's not so difficult and it doesn't have to be difficult either!
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-13, 19:44.

Comment

• hedgehog

So to clarify: What a polyglot huddle of C’s in that field there!

That is a group of Composers of different nationalities (languages)

A pig-headed one Cabezón, horsemen (Cavalieri )with their accomplice (Compère)trampling with his slipper (Chausson) those wildflowers (both red and white)
                      (Campion).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        Now lookey here Mr Caliban. I think my intial question was quite clear - and I defined it later: a group of C's ( composers ) each beginning with the letter C - I clarified that later.... and then the sentence contained the clues to each of those C's. A matter of looking at what is written and interpreting that en face as opposed to that which was once inscribed on a tablet?
                        C'était magnifique, mais ce n'était pas 'Alphabet Associations', is my point.

There's certainly room for another 'game' thread - "Cryptic General Knowledge for language students" for example

I just think to make it feasible and consistent for part-timers and newcomers, it's worth sticking to the original concept. Bit like writing a sonnet, ain't it.... Part of the pleasure comes from the structure.

But maybe I'm a stick-in-the-mud and the 'brand' needs a 'refresh'...

I think it falls to Anna
                        You'll be lucky!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          if someone wanted coleslaw - five composers with names beginning with C

Thomas Campion = red & white flowers - [English]
                          Loyset Compere = accomplice - [French]
                          Antonio de Cabezon = pig-headed - [Spanish]
                          Ernest Chausson = slipper - [French]
                          Emilio de' Cavalieri = horsemen - [Italian]

simples !!

(Michelin quality coleslaw, though, mercs! )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

So to clarify: What a polyglot huddle of C’s in that field there!

That is a group of Composers of different nationalities (languages)

A pig-headed one Cabezón, horsemen (Cavalieri )with their accomplice (Compère)trampling with his slipper (Chausson) those wildflowers (both red and white)
                            (Campion).
                            So 'Composers' could be your common C and sneak it within the rules... Cunning, very cunning...

Comment

• hedgehog

[I]
                              I just think to make it feasible and consistent for ...... newcomers, it's worth sticking to the original concept.
                              Oh .... I am a newcomer It's OK, it's just that so many things have already been done. I thought it rather cute to do translations of names ................

it seems to me to be not that an illogical leap in terms of the alphabet.

You'll be lucky!!
                              I'm prepared to wait & if no answer within a day I'll put up a regulations D.

Comment

• amateur51

Oh .... I am a newcomer It's OK, it's just that so many things have already been done. I thought it rather cute to do translations of names ................

it seems to me to be not that an illogical leap in terms of the alphabet.

I'm prepared to wait & if no answer within a day I'll put up a regulations D.
                                One of the great advantages that you have, I suspect, hodge is that you quite a bit younger than many of us old-timers on AA and thus you have full possession of your memory marbles, all shiny and neatly lined up in row, whereas several of mine are a bit cracked & chipped and one shot under sideboard last July and is now covered in fluff

Most of us don't remember what's been before, honest

Comment

Working...
                                X