• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man

Flay is correct. Dallapicolla isn't who I had in mind. Mine is more obscure

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Philip Pedrell (Sabaté) 18 February 1841 - 19 August 1922 Catalan composer. Wrote an opera Quasimodo
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Perhaps the third is the Italian composer Ennio Morricone (born November 10, 1928)? 'Oboe Sommerso*' for baritone and five instruments with words by Salvatore Quasimodo

* Sommerso = submerged

oboe sommerso, salvatore quasimodo, clima, ermetico, poeta, ambiente naturale, paludi, stagni, uccelli palustri, ambiente indeterminato, tempo indefinito
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Perhaps the third is the Italian composer Ennio Morricone (born November 10, 1928)? 'Oboe Sommerso*' for baritone and five instruments with words by Salvatore Quasimodo

* Sommerso = submerged

http://www.italialibri.net/opere/oboesommerso.html

But it has to be a composer who was born and died in the 20th Century no? I wouldn't say Morricone (who is still alive I thought) is more obscure than Dallapiccola either! I was thinking also of Castiglioni or Donatoni, but then I wouldn't call them obscure either

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            But it has to be a composer who was born and died in the 20th Century no? I wouldn't say Morricone (who is still alive I thought) is more obscure than Dallapiccola either! I was thinking also of Castiglioni or Donatoni, but then I wouldn't call them obscure either
            Good point, hodge. I think I found who it might have been earlier this morning but have lost the reference
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              Philip Pedrell (Sabaté) 18 February 1841 - 19 August 1922 Catalan composer. Wrote an opera Quasimodo

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Our Italian was born in Roma.

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Perhaps Luca Lombardi - born 24 December 1945 in Rome?

Alle fronde dei Salici, for 12 voices (to texts by Salvatore Quasimodo)
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Just as an aside - I was amused when searching Pavane to find this album: "Classical Music for Babies"

It features the track Pavane pour une infante défunte!
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• hedgehog

yes a bit like looking at "Airport" onboard a 'plane

My amusement on Quasimodo and "the hunch" is this: http://www.robertloerzel.com/article.../hunchback.htm

Talk about weird associations!

Lombardi btw is still alive and kicking. Petrassi made it into the 21st Century (2003) I don't know who it is.

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

yes a bit like looking at "Airport" onboard a 'plane

My amusement on Quasimodo and "the hunch" is this: http://www.robertloerzel.com/article.../hunchback.htm

Talk about weird associations!

Lombardi btw is still alive and kicking. Petrassi made it into the 21st Century (2003) I don't know who it is.
                        Very weird! I feel I've tried my hardest. Once more we await the Resurrection.
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Well, you guys have certainly done this justice.

The Italian composer that I had in mind was Guido Turchi who was born in 1916. (I do note that a post by Hog mentioned living and dying although that was not my intention and so my sincere apologies if that threw any of you off).

Anyway, as a composer Turchi’s first successes included the Due poesie di Quasimodo for voice and piano, with which he won the Galleria del Secolo prize and Invettiva for small choir and two pianos, which was awarded the prize of the Accademia Filarmonica Romana in 1947.

In his early works, Turchi established an advanced musical language sometimes close to the 12-tone system without embracing it wholeheartedly. His Trio (1945), for example, displays a constructivist and contrapuntal rigour without excluding the use of expressive, non-serial motivic material.

It says in Oxford Music. A piece of his work can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLOxOIOrew

I'm not sure who takes the laurels?

Comment

• hedgehog

Thanks RM, never heard of him!

Flay takes the honours by a length at least!

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Flay takes the honours by a length at least!
                              OK then, an R:

A composition done for the money, not for the love of the work; another from a Demented composer; and a third while listening to the birds of the forest
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

The first work is a concert overture by an early 19th century composer
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X