This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedgehog

A laborious task for this H: a mass dedication, an opera and last seen defeating a 3 bodied monster, not a 3 cornered hat.
    Last edited by Guest; 24-02-13, 21:21.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      [COLOR="#0000FF"] Oh vindetable knows everything, he's just so reticent and modest!
      With so much to be modest about

I know it's an oldy but you don't often get the chance to use it

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        A laborious task for this H: a mass dedication, an opera and last seen defeating a 3 bodied monster, not a 3 cornered hat.
        A laborious task might be a link to Hercules?

Hercules is an opera by Handel

Hercules' 12th Labour was to kill the three-headed Chimaera "The Chimaera was a three-headed fire-breathing monster, part lion, part snake, and part goat. Hercules seemed to have a lot of experience dealing with this family: he killed Orthus, when he stole the cattle of Geryon, and strangled the Nemean Lion. "

Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae
        is a setting of the Ordinary of the Mass composed by Josquin des Pre
        Last edited by Guest; 24-02-13, 22:32. Reason: Missing missa

Comment

• amateur51

If it turns out that I'm right, I have an I prepared and ready to roll

But now I'm off to my bed - sleep well y'all zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Hercules ... [&c &c]
            Looks good, ammy - but what's all that about a three-cornered hat?!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hedgehog

A laborious task might be a link to Hercules?

Hercules is an opera by Handel

Hercules' 12th Labour was to kill the three-headed Chimaera "The Chimaera was a three-headed fire-breathing monster, part lion, part snake, and part goat. Hercules seemed to have a lot of experience dealing with this family: he killed Orthus, when he stole the cattle of Geryon, and strangled the Nemean Lion. "

Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae
              is a setting of the Ordinary of the Mass composed by Josquin des Pre
              Yes! Except for:

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Looks good, ammy - but what's all that about a three-cornered hat?!

Geryon was a three bodied (not headed) giant slain by Hercules and to be found in a work ("last seen") by a composer (who liked 3 cornered hats )

Being?
              Last edited by Guest; 25-02-13, 08:45.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

I can't find the relevant work but I see that de Falla was born in Cadiz (Gadir), in legend founded by Hercules (after that slaying)

EDIT - is the work called Atlantida ?

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  I can't find the relevant work but I see that de Falla was born in Cadiz (Gadir), in legend founded by Hercules (after that slaying)

EDIT - is the work called Atlantida ?
                  Spot on Mercia, from wiki:

"Also in Granada, Falla began work on the large-scale orchestral cantata Atlántida (Atlantis), based on the Catalan text L'Atlántida by Jacint Verdaguer. Falla considered Atlántida to be the most important of all his works; posterity has not agreed with this verdict, and performances of the piece have been extremely rare. Verdaguer's text gives a mythological account of how the submersion of Atlantis created the Atlantic ocean, thus separating Spain and Latin America, and how later the Spanish discovery of America reunited what had always belonged together."

One of the movements in De Falla's scenic cantata is on Hercules slaying Geryon. (there is a recording on the Naxos listening library)

Combined with Handel's Hercules and Josquin's Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae we have a 3 headed Hercules!

Awaiting Ams51 to initiate his question!

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks hodge - nice puzzle (well I would say that, innit )

I wrote a musical with Jerome Kern, his career going down hill after Alf’s lodger and he was in jug over some dodgy rationing. What I is this?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I wrote a musical with Jerome Kern
                      By Jove, quiet here today ain't it?

My only thought has been Ira Gershwin, who corresponds to the above but I can't make fit with the other elements...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

My first thought too was Ira Gershwin, but then I remembered that Ivor Novello had dodgy dealings re rationing, but did he collaborate with Kern?
                        No time to wonder, have to whizz off now, probably wrong

Comment

• hedgehog

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Ivor Novello had dodgy dealings re rationing, but did he collaborate with Kern?
                          Yes he did and no you're not Time for a J from Anna, though it's for Ams to say!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            My first thought too was Ira Gershwin, but then I remembered that Ivor Novello had dodgy dealings re rationing, but did he collaborate with Kern?
                            Have greater courage, Anna - Ivor Novello collaborated with JK for certain. What about the rest?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              Yes he did and no you're not Time for a J from Anna, though it's for Ams to say!
                              Yes she's got two parts there - any thoughts on his career going downhill after Alf's lodger, hodge? Anyone?

Comment

• hedgehog

I have to admit, my first thought was Novello (except I thought his first name was Ivan - no idea he was Welsh!!!!!! real name David Ivor Davies ), but that was purely a gut reaction.

Further research yields that he played in two silent movies directed by "Alf" Hitchcock: The Lodger and Downhill, both in 1927, but I don't read anywhere about his demise, he seems to have done fairly well thereafter until his death, but Anna definitely knows more on the subject - await her return?

Comment

Working...
                                X