X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Mozart's Idomeneo features a High Priest of Neptune and the voice of the Neptune Oracle [is he onstage or off ?]
    Berners - The Triumph of Neptune
    Holst - last movement of them Planets

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      Mozart's Idomeneo features a High Priest of Neptune and the voice of the Neptune Oracle [is he onstage or off ?]
      Berners - The Triumph of Neptune
      Holst - last movement of them Planets
      - ONE HUNDRED AND EIGH-TY !!

No further visit to the deli required: the quality of mercia is undiminished. O, pray, set us the next!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

A bit more victorious than that, though. (Stravinsky's favourite British composer of the 20th Century, by the way!)
        How many did he know, I wonder?

Great puzzle ferney and bravo mercs

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          How many did he know, I wonder?
          Another punch in his running battle with Britten, meoftenthunk (he was also aware of Walton and Bliss). Iggy was also grateful to Berners as he managed to rescue some of IS's scores from Customs - where they were thought to be coded plans for an invasion!

Comment

• amateur51

Another punch in his running battle with Britten, meoftenthunk (he was also aware of Walton and Bliss). Iggy was also grateful to Berners as he managed to rescue some of IS's scores from Customs - where they were thought to be coded plans for an invasion!
            I bet Iggy tapped Gerald for a few (non-musical) notes too

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

O

his father was a trumpeter, the "prince of the humanists" was in his choir, and his "under your protection" mass gradually increases in vocal parts

Comment

• hedgehog

ummm I genuinely know this!

The answer should be Obrecht.

Erasmus is known as the "prince of humanists" (though I suspect that there may be a few pretenders there). He was born in Rotterdam, but as a boy was in the choir at the Cathedral in Utrecht (the Catholic centre of the Netherlands before it went all protestant). Obrecht was the choir master there.

Now, a little research on his works shows that in the credo of his mass sub tuum presidium more and more voices are added. I don't know this work, but am now desirous to know it.

I would be grateful of some recommendations re recordings Mercia

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  I'm afraid I can't help you there - I just work here

congratulations on Obrecht - wiki reckons in the stp mass the voices increase from three in the Kyrie to seven in the Agnus Dei

perchance a prickly P ???

Comment

• amateur51

ummm I genuinely know this!

The answer should be Obrecht.

Erasmus is known as the "prince of humanists" (though I suspect that there may be a few pretenders there). He was born in Rotterdam, but as a boy was in the choir at the Cathedral in Utrecht (the Catholic centre of the Netherlands before it went all protestant). Obrecht was the choir master there.

Now, a little research on his works shows that in the credo of his mass sub tuum presidium more and more voices are added. I don't know this work, but am now desirous to know it.

Cor hodge - triffic work! Do you prefer or for congratulatory bibbing?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      I'm afraid I can't help you there - I just work here
                      This is pretty good:

Comment

• hedgehog

Ah thanks. I know their ockeghem series and find it pretty good, if a little too reserved for my liking at times.

Oh a Prickly P. May I beg a Pause? I've got people coming to dinner and have to clean the house as well as cook (why do I do these things?).

If anyone has a moment of inspiration, please feel free - otherwise it'll be Sunday morning for the Puzzle.

Comment

• hedgehog

So here's the Puzzle:

What P links one composer’s satire of another’s earnest studies, a set of dancing muses and a book both speculative and practical?

Comment

• amateur51

So here's the Puzzle:

What P links one composer’s satire of another’s earnest studies, a set of dancing muses and a book both speculative and practical?
                            The word that has just popped into my head is Possum ...

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              The word that has just popped into my head is Possum ...
                              indeed... Care to explain? Are you talking feline terpsichory?
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                indeed... Care to explain? Are you talking feline terpsichory?
                                Sorry, only recently back from a stunning performance of Britten's Spring Symphony at the Royal Festival Hall

I was thinking of T S Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Comment

Working...
                                X