X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I can see a pair of breasts in that painting [if I look through my magnifying glass]

EDIT - and a beastie

not sure what that is in the bottom left-hand corner

Comment

• Anna

No idea, totally lost, is it something to do with Bend it like Beckham - Benda?
      I'm off now to dish up bangers, mash and pak choi!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Beasts?
        Booze?
        Bottom?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

From my angle (and trying to ignore the boobies) I wondered about Brodsky....? He premiered the Tchaik VC. Wiki says:

Eduard Hanslick called it "long and pretentious" and said that it "brought us face to face with the revolting thought that music can exist which stinks to the ear". Hanslick also wrote that "the violin was not played but beaten black and blue", as well as labelling the last movement "odorously Russian".

Mind you I can't fit this with any other clues, nor the painting.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            I wondered about Brodsky....?
            Elgar's String Quartet in E minor, Op. 83 was dedicated to the original Brodsky quartet*

* Edit: no - it was the 2nd (Manchester) quartet that he had formed
            Last edited by Flay; 11-02-13, 20:09.
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

From my angle (and trying to ignore the boobies) I wondered about Brodsky....? He premiered the Tchaik VC. Wiki says:

Mind you I can't fit this with any other clues, nor the painting.
              Well Guys (including the feminine), this B seems to have sunk, and is proving a disaster! However Flay has quoted the phrase I had in mind, which contains the magic word!

As regards the painting, you have unaccountably overlooked the background, which is coloured B...?

The approximate clue is from the field of Jazz, which no doubt accounts for the difficulties.

In regard to the Composer, I would be quite happy with an American composer instead of a British composer, who is coincidentally featured on COTW this week.

Oh well, write this one off to experience - should have stuck to Greek myths!
              Last edited by Quarky; 11-02-13, 21:08.

Comment

• hedgehog

Well..... no actually I had thought of the blue(s) - if that is what it was What was putting me off was "modern" and "new".

But it has been very entertaining Oddball!

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Thanks Hedgehog. Yes the blues clue:
                  "Modal jazz is jazz that uses musical modes rather than chord progressions as a harmonic framework. Originating in the late 1950s and 1960s, modal jazz is epitomized by Miles Davis's Kind of Blue (1959), ......... Though the term comes from the use of the pitches of particular modes (or scales) in the creation of solos, modal jazz compositions or accompaniments may ....."

I must write out 50 times "must put more thought into setting clues"!

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                    I must write out 50 times "must put more thought into setting clues"!
                    Please don't be disheartened, Oddball. It isn't easy setting clues, especially as many of the good ideas have already been used. Sometimes we try to be too obscure - clues were set and solved much more quickly a year or so ago. Please bounce back and bowl us many more googlies in the future.

From your conundrum I have discovered more about Hanslick, learnt about the formation of the Brodsky Quartets (3 of them), learnt that Elgar only wrote one string quartet which was dedicated to Brodsky, and seen some boobies!

And as Hedgehog said:

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    but it has been very entertaining Oddball!
                    And that's what AA is about!
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

yes I find question-setting virtually impossible which is why I chicken-out so often

I certainly know a lot more about Hanslick and the Tchaik. vc now which is all to the good

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Shall I set a C?

It happens in Prague, but not in the Underworld. Sir Simon did when by rights he shouldn't have.
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          I can see a pair of breasts in that painting [if I look through my magnifying glass]

And that is the mental image I shall be carrying away from the AA events of a day I have largely spent at the steering wheel...

*nudge nudge*
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            *nudge nudge*
                            Are you selling something ?
                            "Candid Photography", better known as "Nudge Nudge", is a sketch from the third Monty Python's Flying Circus episode, "How to Recognise Different Types of Tr...
                            Last edited by mercia; 12-02-13, 08:43.

Comment

• hedgehog

Shall I set a C?

Sir Simon did when by rights he shouldn't have.
                              Conduct? Quite right, he should have been an insurance salesman.

I doubt though, that such blasphemy is allowed here.......the Underworld, immediately brings to mind Offenbach's work. The can-can was danced there, so that's out, what about the cha-cha? Rattle conducting one from West Side story, but why shouldn't he have? OMG he didn't try to dance one did he?

Sorry, just being wildly silly, got a serious day coming up.

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                Conduct? Quite right, he should have been an insurance salesman.

I doubt though, that such blasphemy is allowed here.......the Underworld, immediately brings to mind Offenbach's work. The can-can was danced there, so that's out, what about the cha-cha? Rattle conducting one from West Side story, but why shouldn't he have? OMG he didn't try to dance one did he?

Sorry, just being wildly silly, got a serious day coming up.
                                Not so wild or silly. Yes it does refer to conducting in a way.... And the reference could be to the Offenbach, but I did say not in the Underworld....
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X