This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rubbernecker

Like father, like son; a hymn; and, incidentally, Robert's life. What J unites them?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Like father, like son; a hymn; and, incidentally, Robert's life. What J unites them?
      Well, a J pere et fils, automatically you think of Maurice and Jean-Michel Jarre of course. But as to a hymn, would that be Oxygene and the incidentally Robert's life is obviously film music, so stumped on that except for Robert Powell's role in Jesus of Nazareth? In other words, I had a go but don't know!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Well, a J pere et fils, automatically you think of Maurice and Jean-Michel Jarre of course. But as to a hymn, would that be Oxygene and the incidentally Robert's life is obviously film music, so stumped on that except for Robert Powell's role in Jesus of Nazareth? In other words, I had a go but don't know!
        Neither Jesus nor the Jarres, I'm afraid. And why should 'incidentally' necessarily make you think of film music?

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Tapiola must wonder what we are all on!
          Or whom...

Just here for a quick look. Hands full

Good luck with your Indian, Anna. I believe they can be very hot

I've just had an Italian though it was too much for me and I couldn't finish

Comment

• Anna

Neither Jesus nor the Jarres, I'm afraid. And why should 'incidentally' necessarily make you think of film music?
            Only because 'incidental' usually refers to films, (to my mind anyway). I nearly went to a Jarre concert. It was cancelled through health & safety concerns. However, over to others to solve this.

Edit: Does Johannes I and II enter into it I wonder? I know it cannot be Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, or Jenner! Thanks to your helpful list.
            Last edited by Guest; 22-03-11, 09:52.

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Ah! many happy returns Mr T! (btw check your PM inbox )
              Thank you kindly, Caliban.

I have just replied to you, this morning's red-wine-head notwithstanding...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                Thank you kindly, Caliban.

I have just replied to you, this morning's red-wine-head notwithstanding...
                Spiffing, I shall adjourn to my inbox, having observed that Rubberknickers's eliptical J I find completely impenetrable

Respect to Anna for bravely chipping away. I sense a clue or two coming on...
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Various calls on my time mean I will not be able to log on again until after 4pm.

I offer a couple of pointers: the father and son are not composers, and Robert is a (fictitious) businessman.

Comment

• Anna

Various calls on my time mean I will not be able to log on again until after 4pm. I offer a couple of pointers: the father and son are not composers, and Robert is a (fictitious) businessman.
                    I have got nowhere slowly on this. I can get a link (albeit a rather shaky obscure one) for the first two but Robert the fictitious business has me stumped. He could be fictitious as in literature, film or a character in Corrie!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I have got nowhere slowly on this. ... Robert the fictitious business has me stumped. He could be fictitious as in literature, film or a character in Corrie!!
                      Anna I was just going to say the same thing - the fictional businessman has me bamboozled. The only thing I could think of were the various villainous businessmen in Dickens - Dombey for example. I'm sure it's not that. It's all a bit wide, isn't it?

Presumably the father and son are musical, even if not composers. Erich and Carlos Kleiber maybe... But a common J??

I have to devote the remaining brain cells to work now...

Comment

• Anna

Presumably the father and son are musical, even if not composers. Erich and Carlos Kleiber maybe... But a common J?? I have to devote the remaining brain cells to work now...
                        I have a common J (non composers) plus hymn, although not happy with them but Dickens also crossed my mind .... as did that film about Robert Schumann .... (quickly dismissesd upon further clue) I wonder if Tapiola has recovered from the red wine and has an inkling?

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

Strangely enough, Dombey and son AND Robert Schumann also crossed my befuddled mind.

Further thoughts have been paltry

I keep thinking of Jarvi (Neeme, Paavo) but that is as far as I can go presently.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I wonder if Tapiola has recovered from the red wine and has an inkling?
                            - Do you have an inkling?

- No, I always walk like this

(with acknowledgments to Morecambe & Wise)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                              I keep thinking of Jarvi (Neeme, Paavo) but that is as far as I can go presently.
                              Oh that's a good thought. If there were a fictional businessman named Jarvis, that could work.... But it still leaves the damned hymn...

Comment

• Tapiola
                                • Jan 2011

If there were a fictional businessman named Jarvis, that could work.... But it still leaves the damned hymn...
                                "Onward Christian Soldiers, Martin {Jarvis] off to War..."

I'll get me cape.

Comment

Working...
                                X