X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Well, I still think my Massenet opera Herodiade counted because the famous aria from Act III is Vision Fugitive .........
    An alternative to what was on the card!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Cali are your thumbs up to a simple X or agreement that she did not solve it?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

What? An ENORMOUS dinner on a school night? Where, and with whom?
        Not a school night! I've taken tomorrow off in case! It's with about 80 good men and true, ranging in age from 18 to 80 (by my calculation), and it's to mark the hundred and somethingth anniversary of a dining/drinking club over which I presided in the dim and distant... No, not the Bullingdon...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Oh, probably thumbs up to me being a simpleton!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I have amended my post:
            Well, I can do a rather simple (that's me all over) X which will take nanoseconds to solve, as I only have about an hour, max, before I need to go

You DID solve it, you got Massenet, and used the word VISION!

And you're not simple.

Just engagingly open

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 15-11-12, 17:13. Reason: Remembered something!

Comment

• Anna

And you're not simple. Just engagingly open
              Caliban - behold Him - the Master of backhanded compliments!

OK, quick and simple:

Which X marks the spot for: Alban, Pierre and Olivier but is dubious for Karlheinz?

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

Sorry I haven't told you about the George V weekend. I hasten to add that the trip was subsidised by the birthday boy who can afford that sort of thing.

The hotel was smaller than I had expected, but surprisingly un-stuffy. The staff were all lovely: charming without being aloof. One of the bar staff was from Scotland, another from Cornwall. Mind you at the cost of the booze I'm not surprised they were smiling (€14 for a bottle of beer ). I stood a round for €114 then had to go and lie down (there were 16 of us but luckily only a few were in the bar at the time)

The bed was enormous! The room was like this one (although the connecting door was closed!) http://www.hotelchatter.com/files/14...uplexsuite.JPG

Breakfast in this room: http://www.luxuryhotelexperts.com/im...v_paris_02.jpg was a delight - more than anyone could possibly consume. Smoked salmon in scrambled egg etc.... yummy.

So if you do win the lottery, or can get someone else to pay, go there for a night or two, if only for the one occasion.

At least that's now crossed off Mrs Flay's wishlist
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  Sorry I haven't told you about the George V weekend. I hasten to add that the trip was subsidised by the birthday boy who can afford that sort of thing.
                  Ahem, telephone number of the above birthday boy - if you please! Quick as you like!
                  Looks wonderful, and romantic ......... <sigh> <heartbreakingly pensive look>

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Ahem, telephone number of the above birthday boy - if you please! Quick as you like!
                    Looks wonderful, and romantic ......... <sigh> <heartbreakingly pensive look>
                    Huh, you would turn me down for him and his money?
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Well, now that's difficult .... but I know you have a lovely wife, the Blessed and Fragrant Mrs. Flay, and you didn't say whether he was available or not. I am NOT a homewrecker .... Ooh, a deliciously old fashioned phrase .... !

Anyway, back to the X. Come on boys, I simply cannot play all night with you. There are not many words beginning with that letter ......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Do remember also that Anna's holiday plans with the Scottish Smoothie Mr Mangerton are well-advanced, I infer...

Comment

• Flay
                          • Mar 2007

Well, now that's difficult .... but I know you have a lovely wife, the Blessed and Fragrant Mrs. Flay, and you didn't say whether he was available or not. I am NOT a homewrecker .... Ooh, a deliciously old fashioned phrase .... !

Anyway, back to the X. Come on boys, I simply cannot play all night with you. There are not many words beginning with that letter ......
                          Sorry, he's took too. But I'm working on a way to dispose of Mrs Flay so I can......

It's not a good old Xylorimba is it?
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Do remember also that Anna's holiday plans with the Scottish Smoothie Mr Mangerton are well-advanced, I infer...
                            Well, he's offered me a fish supper in Anstruther as long as I pay. But he has a girl friend who brings him bread sauce for his pheasant, so *Ah dornt stain a hiner in heel wi' heem!
                            Sorry, he's took too. But I'm working on a way to dispose of Mrs Flay so I can...... It's not a good old Xylorimba is it?
                            Indeed it is Flay, well done! Told you it was easy. *Online Scottish dialect translator!!
                            Last edited by Guest; 15-11-12, 18:08. Reason: thought

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

a girl friend who brings him bread sauce for his pheasant

I've never heard it called that before...

However it's a relief that you won't "stain your hiner wi' him" ()

But wot's a xylorimba?!

(offline now sadly, Anna style )

Comment

• Anna

But wot's a xylorimba?!
                                Musical instrument! I don't expect a reply from Flay re Karlheinz Stockhausen as it's said his Gruppen included it, but the score actually says a marimbaphone, and actually Percy Grainger was the only composer who ever specified one of those. Not a lot of people know that.
                                Last edited by Guest; 15-11-12, 18:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X