X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    and of course c.f. that Copland piece that Rob Cowan is always playing on Breakfast )

Meanwhile, back at Anna's question...
    Yes, and you posted about it here! Which is why I said you had given yourself a teensy weensy clue-ette!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
      Well, we have the Open Road an orchestral rhapsody by Ernest Farrar, for one
      Yes, indeed we do. Farrar taught Finzi piano. It was his tragic death in WW1 1918 that caused Finzi to become a pacifist. He also studied under Stanford. Frank Bridge also dedicated a piece to him. My alternative clue re Open Road was, of course, Mr. Toad of Toad Hall (for anyone who has read Wind in the Willows) who kept going on about The Open Road

Comment

• rubbernecker

...and Ned Rorem who Strolled Across an Open Field?

Comment

• Anna

...and Ned Rorem who Strolled Across an Open Field?
          Well, that's not what I had in mind, it would fit I guess. Composer born in Seattle, still alive, think invitation to all.

Comment

• rubbernecker

William Bolcom's Open House ... please...?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by hercule
              is Grove's Dictionary available online? Do you have to pay to use it?
              Yes and Yes. Subcontrabass can tell you all about it if you PM him. I think it works out very expensive as a private user, although OUP's website is a bit coy about advertising the price. (I don't have access, btw)

Comment

• Anna

William Bolcom's Open House ... please...?
                Oh, Yes, Yes, Yes!! That's it, solved! Praise the Lord and Pass the Rioja!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Oh, Yes, Yes, Yes!! That's it, solved! Praise the Lord.
                  Alleluia! That must have been much more painful for you, Anna, than for us! Hercule, I think, should have a P...

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

Yes and Yes. Subcontrabass can tell you all about it if you PM him. I think it works out very expensive as a private user, although OUP's website is a bit coy about advertising the price. (I don't have access, btw)
                    I have free access as a part-time tutor and part-time student with the Open University. There was another thread somewhere which discussed access (from home) being available from membership of some public libraries.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Pass the Rioja!
                      Do you have any left? Luckily I stockpiled a couple of cases as I've learnt that if you don't grab those Co-Op goodies, they're gone the following week. I may be able to slip you a bottle or two...

Comment

• Anna

Alleluia! That must have been much more painful for you, Anna, than for us! Hercule, I think, should have a P...
                        Well hercule originally got Open, you got the other two (at times I really thought Caliban would break through but that was not to be. Actually, I felt at times it was like pulling hens teeth) on balance, two out of three, I would give it to rubra to have the P

Comment

• Anna

Do you have any left? Luckily I stockpiled a couple of cases as I've learnt that if you don't grab those Co-Op goodies, they're gone the following week. I may be able to slip you a bottle or two...
                          Thanks, got a bottle or two stashed away meself. Trying the CoOp Airen Chardonnay from La Mancha (Spain) tonight with fragrant Thai dish and coconut cardamom rice.

Comment

• rubbernecker

where do you get all your answers from? (probably a trade secret)

I'm relying on Wikipedia which is somewhat frustrating

don't you want P? you got all of O
                            I assure you I have no more online access than you, maybe I'm a tad quicker at filtering the results?

You got Open first, which was the genuine effort, I really think you should set P...

EDIT: unless you don't want to... just decide!

Comment

• Anna

listen to Auntie Anna
                              Not so such of the Auntie if you please hercule!

I do not have access to Grove either.

Now, you guys have to resolve it I guess. As I said, I think I would give rubra the P for two out of three.

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

just decide!
                                Anna and I both want you to take it
                                I think that's a decision

Comment

Working...
                                X