X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hercule
    my shaky bet is that it is the hero of an opera by Peter Cornelius, but I don't want the next letter
    nuffink to do with Peter Cornelius, I'm afraid...

But Anna - as so often - is spot-on with all her surmises.
    I'm off for a quick stroll round the Park - I'm sure you will have wrapped up all the final details by the time I'm back...

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

well done Anna

my turn to shut up

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        No idea hercule! I'm just waffling on about Never! Talking of which, Never on a Sunday was filmed in Piraeus. I'll shut up now and let others solve it.
        In my early career, I had to spend 2 hours with Melina Mercouri, one on one in her hotel room. The Caliban Marbles emerged unscathed.

But it's not helping me with this question. Off to cycle to work through the park, vinteuil, I shall cogitate as I pedal...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          But Anna - as so often - is spot-on with all her surmises.
          I'm off for a quick stroll round the Park - I'm sure you will have wrapped up all the final details by the time I'm back...
          Not sure what I can add to my guesses, the opera was by Meyerbeer and the character Le Comte de Nevers. St. Bernadette joined The Sisters of Charity at Nevers. I think I am missing something which also links things further.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

your film connection is spot-on too Anna

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Off to cycle to work through the park, vinteuil, I shall cogitate as I pedal...
              Let's hope it's not the same park - we don't have so many participants on this thread that we can disregard the risk of preventable accidents.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                Let's hope it's not the same park - we don't have so many participants on this thread that we can disregard the risk of preventable accidents.
                Safely arrived, fear not! I worked my way to further elements of the solution, thanks to Anna's brilliance, while riding - i.e. that there must be an operatic aristo who was Le Quelquechose de Nevers. And is the film question simply a punning reference to Nevers on a Sunday?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                  We have a bottle of the stuff in our house, Anna
                  It's not a beverage I've as yet encountered on the shelves of our Co-Op, although I'm told the Leclerc at Lourdes has a good deal on it at the moment...
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-03-11, 12:25. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Anna

There is a song Children of Piraeus from the film Never on Sunday. However, I have to go out on an appointment now, will be back in about an hour so see vinteuil's verdict. Or if anyone can finish it off. (Might pop into the CoOp as well!)
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-03-11, 12:29.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Caliban - Do you think that 'Nevers' might be derived from the 'laters' that sometimes crops up - sometimes in the company of 'deffo' - in the nation's premium soap?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Anna wins the prize (even if she didn't get the right opera... )

1.) Adolar, comte de Nevers, is the hero in Weber's influential opera Euryanthe. (Lovely overture; shame about the lousy libretto).

2.) The original title of the 1960 film (and Melina Mercouri hit song) Never on a Sunday was The Children of Piraeus.

3.) The heroine of The Song of Bernadette, after her teenage close encounter with the BVM at Lourdes, spent the rest of her life in the convent of the Sisters of Charity in Nevers, where she is buried.

An interesting, melancholic, town, Nevers. I think Balzac could have done something with it.

So - over to Anna for an O

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          Caliban - Do you think that 'Nevers' might be derived from the 'laters' that sometimes crops up - sometimes in the company of 'deffo' - in the nation's premium soap?
                          What can I say but DEFFO!

TTYL

LOL

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Anna wins the prize (even if she didn't get the right opera... )

1.) Adolar, comte de Nevers, is the hero in Weber's influential opera Euryanthe. (Lovely overture; shame about the lousy libretto).

2.) The original title of the 1960 film (and Melina Mercouri hit song) Never on a Sunday was The Children of Piraeus.

3.) The heroine of The Song of Bernadette, after her teenage close encounter with the BVM at Lourdes, spent the rest of her life in the convent of the Sisters of Charity in Nevers, where she is buried.

An interesting, melancholic, town, Nevers. I think Balzac could have done something with it.

O Anna!!!

Comment

• rubbernecker

I remember last time she gave us oranges... sweet!

Comment

• Anna

I never thought Nevers was melancholic. Did you know Nevers is also on the pilgrims’ route to Santiago de Compostela? It was Saint Bernadette who gave it away, sorry I got the wrong Comte though.

A hurriedly constructed new puzzle just now whilst on the bus, and I think a very easy one and nothing to do with fruit.

What O connects a sometime cowboy, something which could take you anywhere and an invitation?
                                Last edited by Guest; 11-03-11, 14:37. Reason: missed out a word

Comment

Working...
                                X