X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... is anyone going to supply us with a compleat, Anna-compliant answer?

And one that demonstrates how very Radio Three it is??
    Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikim aungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu", translates roughly as "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one".

(We all knew that).

Quantum Jump used this name in the opening bars of their song "The Lone Ranger" (cf merc's reference above)
    Peter Cape, a singer & song writer from New Zealand wrote a song about it.

Ams and mercs were talking about the longest English place name this morning. Well this is the world's longest.

'Nuff said. Who wants a U?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Northender

Er...what's the answer, and will I understand it?
      Sorry - cross-posted again!

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is the Māori name for a hill, 305 metres (1,001 ft) high, close to Porangahau, south of Waipukurau in southern Hawke's Bay, New Zealand.

The name on the sign that marks the hill is "Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapik imaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu", which translates roughly as "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one". At 85 letters, it has been listed in the Guinness World Records as the longest place name in the world.

The name is featured in a Mountain Dew jingle, and it also appears in the 1976 (re-released in 1979) single "The Lone Ranger" by British band Quantum Jump. Kenny Everett used a padded out version of the name as the introduction to the weekly aired "Kenny Everett Video Show" featuring an animated cartoon native speaking the words. It is the subject of a 1960 song by the New Zealand balladeer Peter Cape.

sorry, I don't have a U question [ or V or W or X or Y or Z ]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          The very record I was after. It later became popular when Kenny Everett used it. Watch this one through:

[video=youtube - Everett & the BeeGees]
          As I "log on" awaiting my return flight, it's good to see the spirit of Radio 3 is safer than ever in the haven of The Forum...

(Funny though - never seen that before )
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            The name is featured in a Mountain Dew jingle, and it also appears in the 1976 (re-released in 1979) single "The Lone Ranger" by British band Quantum Jump. Kenny Everett used a padded out version of the name as the introduction to the weekly aired "Kenny Everett Video Show" featuring an animated cartoon native speaking the words. It is the subject of a 1960 song by the New Zealand balladeer Peter Cape.
            ... and I'm (sadly) only too sure - that if you tweet appropriately to Rob, Sara, Sarah, Clemency, or Kate - they will be more than happy to provide us with a Mountain Dew jingle, various versions of The Lone Ranger, other offerings by 'Quantum Jump'. and any amount of Kenny Everett.

We expect no less of Radio Three these days. And no more...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              As I "log on" awaiting my return flight, it's good to see the spirit of Radio 3 is safer than ever in the haven of The Forum...
              Oh Thank the Lord!! The Voice of Sanity, Reason and Common Sense is about to return (I suspect Flay has left the drugs cabinet unlocked today ........!)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Oh Thank the Lord!! The Voice of Sanity, Reason and Common Sense is about to return (I suspect Flay has left the drugs cabinet unlocked today ........!)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

(Funny though - never seen that before )
                  Safe travelling Caliban - it'll be good to have you back before the Lord Vinteuil throws a wobbler (and just outside his warranty period too )

Comment

• Anna

Personally, I want to know: a) even with his blackberry and ipad and Mac thingy we have had no restaurant reports or photos and b) who has he has fallen in love with in the Eternal City to prevent the posting of a) as referenced above! and c) shall I have to buy a hat?

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Personally, I want to know: a) even with his blackberry and ipad and Mac thingy we have had no restaurant reports or photos and b) who has he has fallen in love with in the Eternal City to prevent the posting of a) as referenced above! and c) shall I have to buy a hat?
                      ... don't we all suspect:

- Caliban is a lawyer

- Caliban "suddenly" bunks off to Rome

- there is a papal valet charged with all sorts of things

- the trial was being held in the Vatican over the last few days

Obviously Caliban needs to stay schtumm - client confidentiality and all that ...

Comment

• Anna

OMG, O.M.G. You are on to something there vints .... Yes, it was a very sudden bunk off, as bunk offs go ....... I never suspected, he seemed such a normal bloke with his passion for pork pies ... You do realise he's being held in the departure lounge and cannnot access, so we can gossip about him as much as we like?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

How fecund thy imagination, vinsanto! How flattering to be the subject of such chat and greetings. Reminds me of Twelfth Night, Act 1, scene 2 line 80....

Only kidding! Twas an ordinary old holiday, pottering around with old friends

Bless you my brethren & sistren. Must "log off" as I have been called, St Peter-like!

Comment

• Northender

Who's setting the next question?

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                              Who's setting the next question?
                              I wonder if ferney would kindly oblige, as he did identify that dreaded song?

Or would you like me to set another? (Only joking!)
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I'm back and sorted, and have a small U to offer (I didn't understand the T at all - well dodgy coleslaw if you ask me but never mind ). Hope ferney won't mind - sounded as if he was being co-opted anyway

This U links Ms Lock with a famous marine appearance and a character from a childish last movement...

Comment

Working...
                                X