X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    It is indeed! all three parts then please?
    Ah! Where's mercs when you need him ?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... do we take it the second part is from Beethoven and the third from Haydn??

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Ah! Where's mercs when you need him ?
        You started it!

I hear you have been away. Anywhere nice?
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... do we take it the second part is from Beethoven and the third from Haydn??
          Actually the first part referred to Haydn. I don't think he was all that old when he wrote it.

Yes, the 2nd part was LvB
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

You started it!

I hear you have been away. Anywhere nice?
            Mirmande in the Drôme with some friends who live in a hamlet nearby. We found an exhibition devoted to André Lhote, a sometime Cubist

André Lhote (Burdeos, 5 de julio de 1885 - París, 24 de enero de 1962), pintor francés.Tras asistir al curso de escultura de la École des Beaux-Arts de Burde...

And jolly joli it was too

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

It does sound très joli and intéressant
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

Would anyone hazard a guess as to the third part of my conundrum? Who was the old Austrian?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Would anyone hazard a guess as to the third part of my conundrum? Who was the old Austrian?
                  First time I've logged in here today - no-one's mentioned the actual titles of the works, so an old Austrian, is that Schubert? Abschied? Or Not.
                  Glad you had a good holiday Ams!

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    no-one's mentioned the actual titles of the works
                    No they haven't! Things are getting awfully slack around here.

Hello anyway!

No, not Schubert - he didn't get old, poor man. Nor Abschied. It is a composer.
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

No they haven't! Things are getting awfully slack around here. Hello anyway!
                      No, not Schubert - he didn't get old, poor man. Nor Abschied. It is a composer.
                      Yes, definitely slack without your Form Consul standing guard .... so we have Haydn, LvB (with no named works but it's to do with Farewell) and an Austrian old codger written about by a composer beginning with F? Is that a fair summary of the puzzle?

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Yes, definitely slack without your Form Consul standing guard .... so we have Haydn, LvB (with no named works but it's to do with Farewell) and an Austrian old codger written about by a composer beginning with F? Is that a fair summary of the puzzle?
                        No, no, no. The answer is already established as Farewell. I just need more info from you all so I can relax and have my tea! The old composer from Austria (he only got old in his later years) had an F theme.....

Do I sound stressed? Perhaps I am not too relaxed as one of my sons decided the other week to take a holiday in Beirut, alone, just dossing... He arrived today as Friday prayers were ending. Quite an education!
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Oh Dear. Let someone release Flay from his misery and post the answer so he can have his tea (I have no idea of the answer and have to cook) Flay, your son will be OK, he comes from sturdy stock - Mrs. Flay!!

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

Thank you, Anna

Lets go back to the beginning: This F derives from a glim hope, a Napoleonic ejection, and an old Austrian's parting theme[/QUOTE]

Glim = candle. Hope = the musicians' desire to go home to their WAGs. Hence the Haydn Farewell Symphony.
                            The Napoleonic ejection was Beethoven's patron Archduke Rudolph, who had to leave in a hurry when the French attacked Vienna, hence the composition of the Farewell Sonata.

That's the first two. Someone give me the third please. (It's not the title of the whole work)
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

That's the first two. Someone give me the third please. (It's not the title of the whole work)
                              The, Sound, of, Music, Soundtrack, Anniversary, Edition, 1965, Julie, Andrews, Christopher, Plummer
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Aaagh No!!!

I'm sure you know what I am getting at, Ferney, for the 9th time...
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X