• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    So a song-cycle about a miller, in German ... any
    thoughts?
    No, just guessed it wasn't French, as the opposite is the same in English, so plumped for German and they have lots of words beginning with U, but the Spanish do not. You see how logical I am? And, I will be offline very shortly, to dine before the Bernstein Mass on tv.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

You got it, Anna - you

So a song-cycle about a miller, in German ... any thoughts?
      U-interreise ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
        U-interreise ?
        Un-worthy RM - a German song cycle with the name Miller in the title (in German)

Comment

• Anna

Un-worthy RM - a German song cycle with the name Miller in the title (in German)
          OMG, think he of the tasty yoghurt with the sprinkles? 3 for the price of 2 at your local Co-Op. I'm just saying this as as from now I am offline.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            OMG, think he of the tasty yoghurt with the sprinkles? 3 for the price of 2 at your local Co-Op. I'm just saying this as as from now I am offline.
            what is she like?

But she's right, y'know

Comment

• amateur51

Advance notice - I'm toddling off to bed at about 21:30

Comment

• Angle
                • Dec 2010

Ungeduld (Impatience) from Die Schoene Mullerin and we all know who wrote that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                  Ungeduld (Impatience) from Die Schoene Mullerin and we all know who wrote that.
                  Bingo Angle! - welcome back by the way! -

Gilbert & Sullivan wrote Patience, the opposite of which is Impatience, in German Ungeduld the title of song no 7 in Schubert's Die Schoene Mullerin song cycle.

It's a tie between cloughie, Anna, RM and Angle I'd say - anyone fancy giving us a V?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Hang on, that makes no sense to me! What were you alluding to?!?!

EDIT: Just got it. Mueller-Lite yoghurts, correct? Anna, do be a heartface and stick around one day to answer a question ! You know so many of the answers and could then do us the honour of setting one after!

Like now, maybe, with the V?

You know you want to.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

No, just guessed it wasn't French, as the opposite is the same in English, so plumped for German and they have lots of words beginning with U, but the Spanish do not. You see how logical I am?
                      Now that I simply DO NOT follow!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Now that I simply DO NOT follow!!
                        It made perfect sense to me but you didn't get my Müller yoghurt reference either ..... <sigh>
                        I didn't really know the answer, just followed Am's very generous clues. I think an Angle puzzle would be good as we haven't had one from him for ages, I'm only here as I'm having a break with a pain au chocolate and a coffee, will be around again late afternoon. So I think anyone can jump in.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

you didn't get my Müller yoghurt reference either
                          I did, eventually!

But all that "opposite is the same in English" stuff... no...! Oh well, I just read your 'insomnia' post .. let's put it down to that!

Hope you slept like a log last night and are feeling refreshed?

What did you think of 'Mass'? I took a quick peek at my recording over breakfast - the Celebrant's wayward tuning was unpleasantly prominent in the bit I watched...

Comment

• amateur51

I'm going out now to visit my soon-to-be 92 year old chum in her care home so I'll be away quite a while.

Can someone be tempted to give us a V, please ?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I did, eventually!
                              But all that "opposite is the same in English" stuff... no...! Oh well, I just read your 'insomnia' post .. let's put it down to that!
                              Hope you slept like a log last night and are feeling refreshed?
                              What did you think of 'Mass'? I took a quick peek at my recording over breakfast - the Celebrant's wayward tuning was unpleasantly prominent in the bit I watched...
                              Oh dear. Ams said to look for the opposite of 'patience', the English word, in a European language and 'impatience' in French is 'impatience' Therefore, the opposite is the same in English as in French.
                              (It has been scientifically proved that womens' brains operate on a different, more logical plane, than mens' brains. I think this totally proves the point!)

Yes, I was tucked up in Morpheus's arms by 10pm and slept right through until 7.30am without having to think of Lord Byron. As to the Mass, no, I hadn't noticed the Celebrant being wayward. You were there live, did it strike you at the time?
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-09-12, 15:26. Reason: put impatience instead of patience, which is a virtue

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Oh dear. Ams said to look for the opposite of 'impatience', the English word, in a European language and 'impatience' in French is 'impatience' Therefore, the opposite is the same in English as in French.
                                (It has been scientifically proved that womens' brains operate on a different, more logical plane, than mens' brains. I think this totally proves the point!)

Yes, I was tucked up in Morpheus's arms by 10pm and slept right through until 7.30am without having to think of Lord Byron. As to the Mass, no, I hadn't noticed the Celebrant being wayward. You were there live, did it strike you at the time?

Yes, somewhat - but the atmosphere of the live performance, and his declamatory role, made one sort of overlook it. The microphones and camera close-ups seemed to me to be a lot less forgiving...

Glad you slept well

Comment

Working...
                                X