• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

the best I can offer

K connecting

music-making chez Jacquin, a man behind the man behind the melody of BWV508, and the Dresden Phil

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I think ferney thinks by saying Elvis we'll go down that track. OK, this is the thing, this is what we do, this is how we approach it. So, what if, now I mean this is the thing, what if, he's thinking Elvis Costello. Pretty neat thinking, you have to admit that.
      Edit: off line now until pretty late now, will leave it to others to solve.
      You've clearly been paying attention during Twenty Twelve (apparently I mustn't call it '2012').

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        K connecting

music-making chez Jacquin, a man behind the man behind the melody of BWV508, and the Dresden Phil

OK
        all I need is the name of a chamber work that Jacquin played the piano at the first performance of, the tutor of a composer (not Bach) associated with BWV508 and a sometime conductor of the Dresden Philharmonic

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

Are you hoping this K will go down like skittles?
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            Are you hoping this K will go down like skittles?
            indeed

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

I'm just recovering from an evening in Sheffield. Took the Mrs to see a show (Dreamboats & Petticoats) but enjoyed it thoroughly . Then stung by the multi-storey car park charging me £15 - they did not distinguish between daytime and night!!! That's the last time I park there!

Anyway it's Kegel (skittle).

Mozart Kegelstatt Trio
              Emanuel Kegel - taught Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel who composed the opera Diomedes, oder die triumphierende Unschuld, from which Anna Magdalena Bach took the ditty for BWV 508 "Bist du bei mir" (Arthur Scargill's theme tune)
              Herbert Kegel principal conductor of the DSO 1977-1985

A bit early in the day for coleslaw, but there you go!
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

laws to be obeyed at all times of the day
                well done Mr Flay
                sorry about your parking experience
                I'm not familiar with dreamboats & petticoats - my loss no doubt

let's leap into an L

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Oh L, what to do on a summery morn?

A Hook, a pinnie, and a non-aristocratic Byron

Two songs and a melodrama.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

No bites on the Hook? Ah well, the weather is too nice just now.

Mrs Flay announced that she was going to clean the conservatory today.

So I have just spent 2 hours up the ladder with mop and pressure hose, risking life and limb
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

So I have just spent 2 hours up the ladder with mop and pressure hose, risking life and limb
                      Flay, in case you haven't noticed, it's not the sunny weather (actually very strong wind here today keeping temps down) it's the final of the Tour de France and I am so excited. In fact, I haven't been so excited since ...... the last time I was excited!! So, I haven't even looked at your puzzle but I think you were very, very, brave going up a ladder with a pressure hose. That's such dedication and Mrs. Flay should be very, very, proud of her brave little soldier risking life and limb!!

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Mrs. Flay should be very, very, proud of her brave little soldier risking life and limb!!
                        Huh, all we did was bickered. Will put on the radio.

No, that's motor racing Quick keek at the TV instead.....
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Perfect

Your domestic sketches are a highlight of the Forum!

Going to have a think about L now.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Huh, all we did was bickered. Will put on the radio.
                            No, that's motor racing Quick keek at the TV instead.....
                            ITV, changed their schedule to bring Tour de France!! Instead of usual rubbish
                            How can you and Mrs. Flay bicker, after you spend shedloads to see Petticoats and Dreamboats? Oh, I know I would be eternally grateful if anyone shelled out for for me to see for top-notch show about the hits of the 50s and supper in Sheffield's finest restaurant .....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Oh L, what to do on a summery morn?

A Hook, a pinnie, and a non-aristocratic Byron

From Petticoats in Sheffield to Pinafores on Sunday. It's undies undies undies this weekend, ain't it Flay?

Must be your eye for the Lasses, lad

How about the following:

James Hook (June 3, 1746 – 1827) wrote most notably "The Lass of Richmond Hill"
                              G&S's "HMS Pinafore" is subtitled "The Lass That Loved a Sailor"
                              Henry James Byron (8 January 1835 – 11 April 1884) wrote "The Lancashire Lass"; or, "Tempted, Tried and True" (1867), a melodrama

EDIT: btw I know you said 2 songs and a melodrama - the above is one song, one operetta and a melodrama. But I can't find anything else. Is there a number in "Pinafore" about the Lass in the subtitle? Not familiar with the piece. Will have a hunt..
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

From Petticoats in Sheffield to Pinafores on Sunday. It's undies undies undies this weekend, ain't it Flay?

Must be your eye for the Lasses, lad

How about the following:

James Hook (June 3, 1746 – 1827) wrote most notably "The Lass of Richmond Hill"
                                G&S's "HMS Pinafore" is subtitled "The Lass That Loved a Sailor"
                                Henry James Byron (8 January 1835 – 11 April 1884) wrote "The Lancashire Lass"; or, "Tempted, Tried and True" (1867), a melodrama

EDIT: btw I know you said 2 songs and a melodrama - the above is one song, one operetta and a melodrama. But I can't find anything else. Is there a number in "Pinafore" about the Lass in the subtitle? Not familiar with the piece. Will have a hunt..
                                Absolutely correct, Calibs! Forgive my faux pas, you are correct and I mistaken. It comes of working under extreme pressure. ("Stop messing on that computer. That's why you never get anything done." etc etc )

ITV, changed their schedule to bring Tour de France!! Instead of usual rubbish
                                How can you and Mrs. Flay bicker, after you spend shedloads to see Petticoats and Dreamboats? Oh, I know I would be eternally grateful if anyone shelled out for for me to see for top-notch show about the hits of the 50s and supper in Sheffield's finest restaurant .....
                                Yes I see it is on now. You were keen, Anna, tuning in an hour early! Do you like his sideboards?

Supper was not so good, it ended later than expected so we sat down to dine at 10.45pm. Sometimes you can get too hungry to enjoy a meal. Mrs Flay's lasagne was not even half-eaten. We were astonished at how lively Sheffield gets on a Saturday night. We have rarely ventured into the centre at so late an hour. We are more likely to pop over to Eccleshall Road for a meal. I prefer to pop to York or more locally.
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X