This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

That put an end to all the jollity, didn't it?

Comment

• Anna

I've just seen Caliban's steamy loco sketch - brilliant. It really made me laugh. Thanks

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        I've just seen Caliban's steamy loco sketch - brilliant. It really made me laugh. Thanks
        Beware! He's just trying to get you to go off the rails.

Comment

• Don Petter

Beddy-byes for me! It will all seem so much better in the morning.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Choo choo choo

I too must retire after an evening off-forum. We shall tackle Don's rather testing A in the morning.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

steamy loco
              ...wordplay of the highest order, I would say. Hard to know whether to award the palm to you, Anna, or to whoever came up with David Platt's response to his mother's use of the phrase 'pushing the boat out'.

Comment

• Don Petter

Morning All!

No deluge of supposition and invention yet. We'll let things simmer for a while, maybe.

I'll be going out and about later, but will take my trusty Android gizmo with me so may be able to look in on you if I can find a handy Wetherspoons while SWMBO spends all the housekeeping.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                  ...wordplay of the highest order, I would say. Hard to know whether to award the palm to you, Anna, or to whoever came up with David Platt's response to his mother's use of the phrase 'pushing the boat out'.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Got back home feeling guilty because in spite of two attempts I hadn't managed to get on line during the day. (Wi-Fi doesn't seem to have got to Haywards Heath yet.)

It hasn't really mattered, as the thread is in deathly silence.

Time for a clue? Well, not too much yet, as the evening denizens may not yet be in play. Let me just say for the moment that one should be looking across the pond.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Probably way off beam but it wouldn't have anything to do with Aaron Copland? He was very interested in jazz and took Koussevitzky to some jazz clubs in NY and Koussevitzky commented that the music was just like gypsies.

Straw....clutching

Comment

• Don Petter

Wrong straw, I'm afraid, but right occupation.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Is it Georges Antheil?

He wrote a first symphony subtitled Zingareska in 1922, a Jazz Symphony in 1925 and Decatur at Algiers in 1943 which I'm optimistically guessing is something to do with the US naval commander Stephen Decatur who waged war against Pirates?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            Is it Georges Antheil?

He wrote a first symphony subtitled Zingareska in 1922, a Jazz Symphony in 1925 and Decatur at Algiers in 1943 which I'm optimistically guessing is something to do with the US naval commander Stephen Decatur who waged war against Pirates?
                            Well done - two out of three. You need to look at his film work for full marks ...

An interesting chap, it would seem (1900-1959). He has been described as an enfant terrible, but could also be called a polymath or even renaissance man. His non-musical expertise included female endocrinology, writing an agony aunt column, a mystery novel and torpedoes.

Instruments in his most famous work, Ballet Mechanique, included a siren and three aircraft propellors (not to mention 18 pianos).

[Sorry about delay in replying - just got back in.]

Comment

• Anna

Possibly, Film, The Bucaneer? I adore Antheil. The Bad Boy. Ballet Mechanique is wonderful, no doubt you have all see the film? crazy stuff.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-03-11, 22:28.

Comment

• Don Petter

Possibly, Film, The Bucaneer? I adore Antheil. The Bad Boy.
                                Number three! Thanks, Anna.

I guess Rubbers gets the B, by a small majority.

Comment

Working...
                                X