X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Anthrax?
    Well, it was going to be Alkan and his fleas, but I'm not sure we haven't had him already. (When is our archivist going to tabulate the past glories?)

Comment

• Don Petter

What musical A links, chronologically, gypsies, jazz, and a pirate?

Comment

• rubbernecker

As we are about to embark on the eighth circumnavigation of the alphabet I thought it might be an apposite moment to list all the previous answers, and to remember all the fun we've had along the way...

Alphabet Associations
        Previous answers – posts #0001 to#2541

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African
        B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth
        C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral,
        D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark
        E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles
        F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets
        G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome
        H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn
        I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor
        J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah
        K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight
        L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy
        M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba
        N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle
        O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo
        P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac
        Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff
        R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno
        S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut
        T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot
        U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia
        V Viola, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom
        W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White
        X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X
        Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves
        Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann, Zappa, Zamiel

Comment

• Don Petter

You're a gent, sir! (As we always knew.)

So I could have had Alkan. I'll have to wait until you've all forgotten, and I can do another Z.

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

V Viola,
            In the interests of pedantry I thought I set "Viola da Gamba", not just any old Viola.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              In the interests of pedantry I thought I set "Viola da Gamba", not just any old Viola.
              Go easy on him - he does the Amazon database entries in the evenings (see other thread).

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                Go easy on him - he does the Amazon database entries in the evenings (see other thread).
                Don 's referring to bts's woes with trying to buy music on Amazon...

Sorry, scb, did you set Viola da gamba on the first round? I wonder if we had a solo viola as well, since I can only count six Vs in my list...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

You have provided us with an invaluable source of information which it behoves all question-setters on this thread to consult as a matter of course.
                  (Is this The Big Society at work? )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    There is a narrow gauge Anna closely based on the second of the Chatham Dockyard locomotives, Busy Bee, but the mainframe shape has been modified on the lines of Lord Raglan to facilitate loading onto and off the running track. The gauge of 7 ¼ in. also scales at slightly more than the prototype, approximating to a full size (at 3/8 scale) of just over 19 inches.

I have a secret passion for locomotives and trains. Admittedly the above Anna isn't quite up to a Caliban with a full head of steam!
                    Both locomotives held their breath as the Fat Controller shone his lantern around the darkened engine shed, then stepped out and shut the door.

They let out their steam with a shhhhhhhhhhh sound.

"Anna" whispered Caliban. "Yes, Caliban" whispered Anna, her voice trembling.

"Your modified mainframe shape is driving me insane". Some steam escaped from his stack as his excitement increased.

"I'm glad" breathed Anna. "It's just over 19 inches at full size"

Caliban made an odd sound, halfway between a groan and a sigh. More steam escaped from his stack and between his wheels.

"Mine too!!" he wheezed. "I can't hold it much longer, Anna. My whistle's going to blow!"

"My boiler's red hot!" quavered Anna. "Oh Caliban!"

"Oh Anna....!!" There was an enormous whoooooooosh. Huge clouds of smoke and steam from both engines mingled..... "

Welcome back Anna!! Are you gonna ... stick around?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Thank goodness there was no tunnel ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

As we are about to embark on the eighth circumnavigation of the alphabet I thought it might be an apposite moment to list all the previous answers, and to remember all the fun we've had along the way...

Alphabet Associations
                        Previous answers – posts #0001 to#2541

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African
                        B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth
                        C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral,
                        D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark
                        E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles
                        F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets
                        G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome
                        H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn
                        I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor
                        J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah
                        K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight
                        L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy
                        M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba
                        N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle
                        O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo
                        P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac
                        Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff
                        R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno
                        S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut
                        T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot
                        U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia
                        V Viola, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom
                        W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White
                        X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X
                        Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves
                        Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann, Zappa, Zamiel
                        My goodness, it was a slow afternoon!!!

Fascinating and useful resource! Nice one, lycraknickers

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Caliban - I'm currently reading a collection of pieces by the late, lamented Alan Coren, and can honestly say that, great though the height was at which he set the bar, your tale of lusty locos made me laugh as much as many of his offerings. Do you think there was any chance that James The Red-Faced Engine was watching?
                          (Were you a fan of The Sage of Crickelwood, by any chance?)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                            Caliban - I'm currently reading a collection of pieces by the late, lamented Alan Coren, and can honestly say that, great though the height was at which he set the bar, your tale of lusty locos made me laugh as much as many of his offerings. Do you think there was any chance that James The Red-Faced Engine was watching?
                            (Were you a fan of The Sage of Crickelwood, by any chance?)
                            I enjoyed his humour every time I encountered it, and am hence aware of the magnitude of your compliment! Thanks!

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I am hence aware of the magnitude of your compliment
                              This must stop now.

Sorry Don, what was that A question again?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                What musical A links, chronologically, gypsies, jazz, and a pirate?

Comment

Working...
                                X