This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BetweenTheStaves

Spot on, Ofcachap. As an extra bit, Verdi was refused entry to the Milan conservatory, partly for bureaucratic reasons (he was four years above the usual entering age and was not a resident of Lombardy-Venetia), partly on account of his unorthodox piano technique.

Over to you for M.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      There's a Leonardo da Vinci language school in Milan, which is (a) in Lombardy and (b) a leading fashion centre.
      I’ve been away and am just catching up.

I was just going to suggest Carol Lombard, who starred in Bolero with George Raft. Bolero, some would maintain, has musical associations, and the jacket of that name, in couture terms, is worn quite haute?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        I’ve been away and am just catching up.
        Me too.

Good news about Eileen getting away with a caution, eh chaps?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

'M' coming up shortly....

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by hercule
            I wonder how quickly rubbers would have got that
            Er... probably not at all.

Well done Hercule on unravelling Jeremiah and providing the wiki info on Clarke's suicide. "It's All Too Much" was a Beatles song which features the trumpet voluntary at the end.

The wonderful Syria Mosque concert hall in Pittsburgh is now a car park.

Hoyt Axton originally wrote the line "Jeremiah was a prophet" - "Jeremiah was a bullfrog" being a studio in-joke which then made it to the recorded version by Three Dog Night.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Which 'M' links an English school, an Italian director and a singer from Waterloo? (Only the link begins with 'M'. All three clues relate to the same art form).

Comment

• Norfolk Born

A cryptic clue: ....exceedingly fine cakes.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Telly Savalas's hit single should lead you to a famous work by a Nobel laureate. It should then be a fairly straightforward matter to discover one occasion on which part of the musical work 'M' was used, and then two other instances, in the same medium, in which sections of it featured. And you can banish all thoughts of the Kinks and Abba when it comes to Waterloo.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Not a cul-de-sac at all! Much, though not all, of the location filming for Lindsay Anderson's 'If' was done at Cheltenham, and you've also got the Pasolini link.
                    I would say you've done enough to go ahead with 'N', but to help you discover the third film in which part of the Missa Luba was used, just sing along with us:
                    'Dominique, Dominique.... elle ne chant que du bon Dieu'.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The third film in which part of the Missa Luba featured was 'The Singing Nun'. 'Dominique' aka 'Soeur Sourire' was a resident of a convent in Waterloo (in Belgium, rather than near the South Bank). I'm not sure what happens regarding 'N', as hercule clearly got the answer and explained two of the clues.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

I think we can wait for hercule...after all, his are the only ones I seem to be able to answer!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

apologies chaps - you should have continued without me - all too polite I guess

What N links

- a twelve-fold Scarlatti homage
                          - pots & pans (musically speaking)
                          - a du Maurier opera by a dentist

Newcastle.

Charles Avison (who orchestrated 12 Scarlatti sonatas and made Concerti Grossi of them) and Wilfred Josephs (who was a qualified dentist and who wrote an opera based on du Maurier's "Rebecca") were both born there.

What musical pots and pans have to do with Newcastle, I have absolutely no idea!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

a record label
                            I'm rubbish at non-classical (with certain very narrow exceptions)!!

The yellow pages website tells me that there is a Newcastle record label called Kitchenware Records.... That works! (even if it isn't what you had in mind! )

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

(having been a staunch defender of the Breakfast show I am now getting a little fed up with the Red Nose Day conducting competition announcement, and since entries close on 8th March I guess we have another whole week of it)
                              Oooh...I don't know...I'd rather like the opportunity to conduct..but what piece of music?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Ah...think I'll pass then. Now, on the other hand, if it was some Mahler or Rachmaninov

Comment

Working...
                                X