This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

I feature in a black and white film, and in the musical into which it was made 33 years later. And I share my name with two composer/conductors.
    Who am I (or indeed who is 'I'?)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

If it helps...you're looking for a Christian, or if you prefer first, name.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Igor (Young Frankenstein)

Igor Stravinsky and Igor Markevitch

Comment

• rubbernecker

Although Young Frankenstein was made in 1974, Mel Brooks shot it in black and white...

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Spot on, rubbernecker! Would you like to set a 'J' (or a 'K'if you prefer)?
            I can now settle down to listen to Messrs. Ehnes and Armstrong in the repeat of Monday's Lunchtime Concert.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
              Spot on, rubbernecker! Would you like to set a 'J' (or a 'K'if you prefer)?
              I can now settle down to listen to Messrs. Ehnes and Armstrong in the repeat of Monday's Lunchtime Concert.
              That was a good question, Ofca, especially with the devious wrong-footing over the era of the film.

I have had time to concoct a J. It's been a while since I last annoyed everyone with a more cryptic clue, but what the hell, it's the weekend...

What J :-
              - had a Danish hit before it became all too much;
              - was first heard in a Syrian setting;
              - was sadly turned into a Frog?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Time for some help:

The first is a British composer of a very well-known piece, the second is an American orchestral work, the third is the first line of a popular song.

I'm afraid my attendance at a family birthday celebration today prevents my monitoring, and commenting on, any progress. I shall return this evening, but please feel free to move on once it is solved (or you have given up on it)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I'm convinced by your three answers. As I was recently kindly invited to go ahead under similar circumstances, I don't think anybody would object to your setting a 'K' question (but not too cryptic please!)

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

That would be The Black Knight by Elgar
                    The Magic Knight music by Victor Herbert
                    and Don Quixote Fantastic Variations on a Theme of Knightly Character by Strauss

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

L

A style used by Bach and also in Scotland; a block to Verdi's musical education maybe; and haute-couture. What L connects the three ?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Well, maybe everyone is out in the garden or I'm still too cryptic.

'Snap' said the musical Scotsman.
                        'Why can't I enter here to study?' asked Verdi
                        'Anyone seen Leonardo?'

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I've just discovered that the 'Scotch snap' is also known as 'Lombard rhythm'. Verdi wrote an opera called 'I Lombardi'. (Cogitation continues...)

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by hercule
                            all I can find out about Verdi is that he taught himself a lot about music at the library of a Jesuit school in Busseto and was given lessons in counterpoint, but I don't have the facilities to find out any more
                            Ah but he did try to study somewhere else..

Comment

• Norfolk Born

...and Leonardo had some Lombard pupils.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

There's a Leonardo da Vinci language school in Milan, which is (a) in Lombardy and (b) a leading fashion centre.

Comment

Working...
                                X