- a consort;
    - an Anglicized resort; and
    - the man in Room 118?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I do recommend that people watch whilst it's still on iplayer, it's more of a drama-doc (with a lovely operatic soundtrack) that a straightforward dry documentary, with some lovely, almost Dickensian, characters. (BBC2 24th)
      It's on BBC HD tonight at 22:15 for those with access to that channel
      A look at London's oldest wholesale market, which is on the verge of enormous changes.

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        Which 'H' links:
        - a thoroughbred horse;
        - a consort;
        - an Anglicized resort; and
        - the man in Room 118?
        Capital Connect will take you directly to one of these places, and is worth considering it as a starting point for the other three.

Comment

• Flay
          • Mar 2007

Capital Connect will take you directly to one of these places, and is worth considering it as a starting point for the other three.
          Thanks for that!
          Capital Connect Installs Home Security Alarm and Automation Systems Same-Day by Highly Trained Sales Representatives and Technicians.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

How 'ard is this one going to be?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              How 'ard is this one going to be?
              'Orribly 'Orrendous I think! The man in Room 118 only turns up an ebook or half of directory enquiries, I also had to google Capital Connect ..... so first off we need a place to start... And I'm assuming the Anglicised resort is French, in which case Caliban is our resident Francophile
              Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 10:45.

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

Well, room 118 at the V&A (Neo-classicism in Britain) has a portrait of Edward Howard.

Catherine Howard was the fifth wife of Henry VIII and like you Anna, was a "rose without a thorn"

There is a Howard Beach Resort at 2 Kenting Rd in Kenting, Taiwan

I wondered if the music to War Horse had been written by a Howard but it was (of course... ) by John Williams

Is there any musical connection here? Help!!
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Capital Connect trains will take you to the Howard Centre "in the heart of Welwyn Garden City"
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Charles S. Howard was a famous thoroughbred horse owner, one of which was called Seabiscuit which was made into a film starring Jeff Bridges (according to wiki) but I don't think that's the horsey answer. Music by Randy Newman

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Is he related to the bass-player in The Seekers?
                      Not at hol.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Final offer in the undoubtedly incorrect Howard vein. This one takes the Seabiscuit:

Charles Stewart Howard (February 28, 1877 – June 6, 1950) was an American businessman who made his fortune as an automobile dealer and became a prominent thoroughbred racehorse owner. Howard's early Buick dealership in San Francisco was given a boost by the hand of fate; on the day of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, he was one of the few individuals who had operational vehicles in the city, and was thus able to help the rescue effort significantly.

Edit: squeezed and pipped yet again by Anna
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Sorry to be causing you so much trouble - perhaps it would help if you can remember which famous Irishman has been played on screen by, among others, Robert Morley, Peter Finch and Stephen Fry...

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

Robert Morley: "When asked to give a talk at his old school, Wellington, he said the only reason he would return to the school would be to burn it down."

"Show me the man who has enjoyed his schooldays and I will show you a bully and a bore."
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Sorry to be causing you so much trouble - perhaps it would help if you can remember which famous Irishman has been played on screen by, among others, Robert Morley, Peter Finch and Stephen Fry...
                              Oscar Wilde Suite at Cadogan Hotel London Room 118. now I must go into the garden and leave the rest to others.... (I'll give it arrest)
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                Well, room 118 at the V&A (Neo-classicism in Britain) has a portrait of Edward Howard.

Catherine Howard was the fifth wife of Henry VIII and like you Anna, was a "rose without a thorn"

There is a Howard Beach Resort at 2 Kenting Rd in Kenting, Taiwan

I wondered if the music to War Horse had been written by a Howard but it was (of course... ) by John Williams

Is there any musical connection here? Help!!

Yes. And capital connections should help you get there on time.

Comment

Working...
                                X