• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by hercule
    ah, sorry chaps, what must you be thinking

The Obby Oss festival in Padstow and Malcolm Arnold's The Padstow Lifeboat
    Spot on, Hercule. Once you said lifeboat in #2125, I thought you must have Padstow as well. Here is my stored 'official answer' (must keep the archives complete):

Padstow in Cornwall is famous for its traditional Mayday celebrations, in which the ‘Obby Oss’ (hobby horse) dances throughout the town, accompanied by accordions and drums.

Oss can be rearranged anagrammatically to form ‘SOS’, which might result in the launching of the Padstow Lifeboat, which is the title of a popular band march by Malcolm Arnold.

You have the honour of 'Q'. (I don't think this is yet a letter you are allowed to skip, unless you really get stuck, in which case submit a plea, in triplicate, to the judiciary.)

Comment

• Don Petter

I have the key, but I'll take a turn for a while ...

Comment

• rubbernecker

Too deep for me...

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          I have the key, but I'll take a turn for a while ...
          Is that to ensure that the organ pipes do not get attacked by sharks?

Comment

• Don Petter

a-ha, you all have it at the same time - what will happen next, I wonder
            R-R-R! He laughed.

Comment

• rubbernecker

a-ha, you all have it at the same time - what will happen next, I wonder
              I actually had another Q question already prepared, if anyone's interested...?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                I actually had another Q question already prepared, if anyone's interested...?
                OK with me. Roll out Q-bis?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Okey dokey, then:

What Q found the Hanover gate barred in the 70s, went a bit jazzy in 2006 and was washed up in 2009?
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-02-11, 20:09.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Just when Leanne finds her true vacation as a bag lady, Peter has to go and ruin things and give her ANOTHER last chance. I've no idea what the answer to rubbernecker's question is, by the way, but that scarcely seems to matter when REALLY important Weatherfield issues need our attention. (By the way, if I know ANYTHING about rolling stock, that was NEVER never the 15.55 Virgin Manchester Piccadilly to Euston pulling out as Peter hobbled along the platform. It was more likely the delayed 15.49 all stations to Stockport).

Comment

• rubbernecker

Aaaahh! I believe I hear the dulcet sounds of Ofca... What ho, sirrah? I trust you are rested by your sojurn in our fair capital? Perhaps not....

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        What Q found the Hanover gate barred in the 70s, went a bit jazzy in 2006 and was washed up in 2009?
                        I think it is the Queen.

In 1973 she was barred from entering the London Mosque in Hanover Gate to shelter from the rain when the open Rolls broke down, because she was titular head of the English Church.

In June 2006, at Ascot, she astounded society observers by wearing a hat with psychedelic swirls and designer shades, after the bulb had gone in the royal dressing room.

And saddest of all, in these times of deep recession and straitened circumstances for us all, since the budget of 2009 she has gallantly had to agree to do the washing up on Thursday nights, as long as Philip doesn’t leave too much mustard on his plate.

(Google is your friend.)

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          I think it is the Queen.

In 1973 she was barred from entering the London Mosque in Hanover Gate to shelter from the rain when the open Rolls broke down, because she was titular head of the English Church.

In June 2006, at Ascot, she astounded society observers by wearing a hat with psychedelic swirls and designer shades, after the bulb had gone in the royal dressing room.

And saddest of all, in these times of deep recession and straitened circumstances for us all, since the budget of 2009 she has gallantly had to agree to do the washing up on Thursday nights, as long as Philip doesn’t leave too much mustard on his plate.

(Google is your friend.)
                          A brilliantly deducted and beautifully explained answer, Don. It is a refreshing reminder (not that any were needed) of the powerful intellects that inhabit this forum, and what makes this particular thread so endlessly illuminating, entertaining and thought-provoking. It is, unfortunately, not in the slightest degree relevant to the answer I had in mind!

It is one person, however, but certainly a more musical figure than Her Majesty, although in stature not as great.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Thomas Quasthoff?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Morning everyone. As it seems to have gone a bit quiet I thought maybe a few nudges might help.

Q was barred from entry to somewhere in Hanover, not Regent's Park (as Don has colourfully suggested above). For 'washed up' think 'castaway'.

I'm afraid have to go out for about 3 hrs, so we will just have to leave it there for now and watch what happens...

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Rubbernecker - but I got there before your clue!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X