• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
    Just to confirm that I am looking for the name of a classical piece of music common to all three films.
    Ah... just returned and belatedly saw the above. So not "Goldsmith"...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

It's gone deathly quiet.

Comment

• Tapiola
        • Jan 2011

I am baffled by this one. World cinema is about my limits I'm afraid and am hopelessly out of touch with Hollywood films. I think the only Harrison Ford films I have seen are Star Wars 4-6. And I have only seen Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Well, there you go! Alien is one of the films. G featured in another seminal film that I would hazard a guess everyone has seen or certainly heard of but if I'd given hints to that film then it would have been too easy. I have to confess surprise to see that G featured in the other three films I'm referring to in the clue. Now you have one of the films, it should be plain-sailing.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

well, Caliban has already told us that Jerry Goldsmith composed the music for 'Alien' ... so presumably it ain't that?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
              Well, there you go! Alien is one of the films. G featured in another seminal film that I would hazard a guess everyone has seen or certainly heard of but if I'd given hints to that film then it would have been too easy. I have to confess surprise to see that G featured in the other three films I'm referring to in the clue. Now you have one of the films, it should be plain-sailing.
              I know Hanson's 2nd was used illegally in the closing credit sequence of Alien but this is 'G' not 'H'

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                I know Hanson's 2nd was used illegally in the closing credit sequence of Alien but this is 'G' not 'H'
                ...nor 'R' (I think Hanson 2 is called The Romantic?)

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Just picked up on this thread and the film is Aliens (plural) and not Alien (singular)..mea culpa..mea maxima culpa. The reference to Goldsmith made me check up.

As penance, I will force myself to listen to ClassicFM for a day.

Comment

• Anna

It's possibly the adagio from the Gayan Ballet Suite by Khachaturian and the other films could be Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      It's possibly the adagio from the Gayan Ballet Suite by Khachaturian and the other films could be Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.
                      Well done, Anna. It is indeed Gayaneh....which, of course, featured in 2001. Over to you for H.

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

Well done Anna. I was getting nowhere with this until I got a moment of inspiration and looked up track listings on Amazon - but just too late!

Almost o'clock again.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                          Well done Anna. I was getting nowhere with this until I got a moment of inspiration and looked up track listings on Amazon - but just too late!

Almost o'clock again.

I'll join you in one of those Tapiola!! To be honest I have never heard of that ballet suite, I only got the answer by reading an article about James Horner and his scoring of the film Aliens and it was in fact only briefly sampled in the films, so I think it was a rather obscure puzzle to get! I'll have to think of an H and get back to you shortly.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I know Hanson's 2nd was used illegally in the closing credit sequence of Alien
                            It is one of the great cinematic moments, when Ripley has finally rid herself of the beast by toasting it in the afterburner, and you hear the lush and earth-welcoming strains of Hanson 2. But tell me, o great one, how come it was used illegally?

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              I'll join you in one of those Tapiola!! To be honest I have never heard of that ballet suite, I only got the answer by reading an article about James Horner and his scoring of the film Aliens and it was in fact only briefly sampled in the films, so I think it was a rather obscure puzzle to get! I'll have to think of an H and get back to you shortly.
                              H for hoppy Hefe-Weisse. Cheers. Oops, that is another thread.

Comment

• Anna

This, I am afraid, is going to be a straightfoward one, brain not working due to freezing cold weather!

Which of H’s works shares a title with a famous painting, is known for brotherly love and revolutionaries and has a connection with Auden.

Comment

Working...
                                X