X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    Not sure whether it's Anna or bts to be our G wiz?
    Oh, BtS gets the G of course, and I had never heard of that book (doesn't sound like my type of reading - is it good, do you recommend it?)

Funnily enough we had fermata in another puzzle, I think it was the one about Alban Berg or Schnittke?

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

No, Anna, you finished it off and I wouldn't want Ofcachap going off on one again

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Clarence Birdseye invented fishfingers and a fermata is known as a birdseye in musical notation.
        Bloody Hell Anna, that is quite simply dazzling.

Great question rubbers. I am in awe.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

I had never heard of that book (doesn't sound like my type of reading - is it good, do you recommend it?)
          No, it was very hyped when it came out but I didn't like it and it's put me off reading anything else of his

Funnily enough we had fermata in another puzzle, I think it was the one about Alban Berg or Schnittke?
          I guess I missed that, but nothing seems to escape your bird's eye view, Anna

Clarence Birdseye actually came up in my last pub quiz!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
            No, Anna, you finished it off and I wouldn't want Ofcachap going off on one again
            No, I couldn't possibly, you did all the work and got two out of three so it's definitely your G anything else would be totally unfair

Comment

• rubbernecker

No, I couldn't possibly, you did all the work and got two out of three so it's definitely your G anything else would be totally unfair
              ...and Ofca's off to London, so you'll be safe, bts

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

that book (doesn't sound like my type of reading - is it good, do you recommend it?)
                I don't think The Fermata is Nicholson Baker's best work, far from it - and it would be sad if you were put off by starting there. With reservations, I love his work and can highly recommend his detailed hyperrealistic take on the world. One of his best, and most amenable, is his first - The Mezzanine.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                  ...and Ofca's off to London, so you'll be safe, bts
                  LOL! OK...let me have a think. I will try and tone it down a bit

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

A birthday I hear! Caliban MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY. Not sure what your tipple is, I hope one of them will do.
                    Last edited by Pianorak; 18-02-11, 10:06. Reason: typo!
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Firstly, a belated Happy Birthday, Caliban. I'm at the point where I'm starting to count them backwards.

OK...to G.

What classical G is common to three films starring Harrison Ford in two of them and Sigourney Weaver in the third?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Firstly, a belated Happy Birthday, Caliban. I'm at the point where I'm starting to count them backwards.

OK...to G.

What classical G is common to three films starring Harrison Ford in two of them and Sigourney Weaver in the third?
                        I thought this might be something to do with Classical Gas by Mason Williams, which features in Cheaper by the Dozen starring Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt, and The Story of Us featuring Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer. But it isn't...

Interesting, though

Comment

• Anna

Haven't had a chance to look at this yet, of course if it were a classical J I would know the answer instantly! But I wonder if it is hidden a bit more deeply than the scoring of films?

And a belated birthday greeting to Caliban

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Just to confirm that I am looking for the name of a classical piece of music common to all three films.

Comment

• Anna

Thanks for the clarification BtS. I shall be away from the computer until quite late though and cannot join in, so I wish others good luck in their searching.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

OK...to G.

Isn't it Jerry Goldsmith?? He certainly scored Alien and Air Force One I think...

Quick look in, shan't be around all evening but thanks for all the various greetings of the day!! Either will do very nicely
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X