• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Looking foward to an E from Caliban. I couldn't join in today, been away and then seeing The Kings Speech so missed all the puzzles. One of which was very puzzling!
    Anna - I wonder if you agree with our friend Cellini in the BAFTA thread:

Originally posted by Cellini
    Personally I think the music was the only good thing about the film, as I came away on Sunday thinking it was the most pretentious rubbish I had seen in a long time. It was avery tedious film, and Firth was very poor. Rush was OK, and the only one to give us some good acting. To make matters worse, the film could have ended in less than half an hour when they discovered that the stammer was cured for the despot by wearing headphones and playing Beethoven on them. That would have then saved us well over an hour of tedious rubbish.
    What was your view? I have yet to see the film.

And OFCA - did you happen to hear the Dolly Suite performed by Collard and Rigutto on R3 this morning? I caught the first movement, the familiar Berceuse - haven't heard it for years and years, not quite as long ago as Listen with Mother, but not far off - and was bowled over... The central section is gorgeous. Just downloaded it from amazon.

I wondered if that triggered your question?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
      Just seen your #1963. What did you think of 'The King's Speech'? Should the lady wife and I break the habit of half a lifetime and actually venture inside a cinema? (The last film we saw in a genuine bioscope building was 'Watership Down').
      Well, I don't often go to the cinema but I found TKS enjoyable, entertaining, funny and at times a bit sad, although a bit iffy on political facts re Churchill and Edward/Wallis should have been elaborated upon. I went with a group of girlfriends, I do suspect it's a bit of a gurlie sentimental feelgood film and, not sure it really warranted all those Bafta awards but then was not aware of what it may have been up against.

Edit, just seen Caliban's query. Geoffrey Rush was excellent as was Helena B-C. Timothy Spall was totally wasted.

Double Edit. Bet it'll be on this Christmas after the Queen's Speech.
      Last edited by Guest; 17-02-11, 00:10.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I didn't, as it happens. It sounds as though it might be worth tracking down on the iPlayer. I'm not sure what triggered the question, as I had a completely different one lined up before I decided to see what would happen if I 'appropriated' the format from the previous question in order to see what would happen. A sheep being a fairly common farm animal, I hoped it wouldn't take too long for somebody to remember poor old Dolly.
        I shall be taking a short break from AA, as we're off to the Great Wen for a few days, taking in a couple of concerts.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Anna - I'm sure you will be aware of our local connection with Wallis Simpson. She stayed briefly in Felixstowe, it being necessary for her to be resident within the jurisdiction of the court in Ipswich while waiting for the divorce to go through. The building in which she stayed (and which she hated) was demolished some years ago, but we still have a 'Mrs. Simpson's Tea Room'.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Anna - I'm sure you will be aware of our local connection with Wallis Simpson. She stayed briefly in Felixstowe, it being necessary for her to be resident within the jurisdiction of the court in Ipswich while waiting for the divorce to go through. The building in which she stayed (and which she hated) was demolished some years ago, but we still have a 'Mrs. Simpson's Tea Room'.
            Another odd AA coincidence! The first law firm I worked for was called Theodore Goddard, founded by John Theodore Goddard who came to national prominence as solicitor to Wallis Simpson in those divorce proceedings, and thereafter in the whole abdication hoo-ha.

I am working on "E"... Meantime, welcome to the Smoke, OFCA. I wonder what concerts you'll be at.

Comment

• Anna

but we still have a 'Mrs. Simpson's Tea Room'.
              Of course there is still that rumour that Wallis Simpson was a bloke and Edward was gay. However, they were/are a most dysfunctional family but somehow I prefer them to having a President. Sorry, this is getting very off topic.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Of course there is still that rumour that Wallis Simpson was a bloke and Edward was gay.
                Blimey, that's a new one on me!!!

So... to E. I have lost the ability to gauge whether this is easy or difficult... Anyway here you go...

Three Es, all in the same line of work, cut their teeth in (respectively) Prague, Salzburg and Santa Fe, but each moved on to become primarily associated with 3 different cities. E1 was 21 when E2 was born. E2 was 23 when E3 was born.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Welcome to the Smoke, OFCA. I wonder what concerts you'll be at.
                  Thank you. Lincolns Inn Chapel (Tallis Lamentations et al) Friday evening, St Martins In The Fields (Vivaldi Four Seasons et al) Saturday evening.
                  The lady wife and I used to live, and indeed met, in London. Our first 'date' back in 1969 was a concert at the RFH.
                  I worked for a while for a firm of patent agents in LIF, in a building that was the residence of the only British Prime Minister to be assassinated. I suspect that you know who that was, and that Anna knows as well.

Comment

• Anna

the only British Prime Minister to be assassinated. I suspect that you know who that was, and that Anna knows as well.
                    Indeed, I do know, that's a typical pub quiz question! It was Spencer Perceval who was shot by John Bullingham in 1812!! Enjoy your stay in London and the concerts.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Thanks Anna - we've had all the injections done and the visas arrived this morning! (No offence meant, Caliban - as you'll gather, I have plenty for which to thank London - not least my occupational pension ).

Comment

• rubbernecker

Caliban, how serendipitous that you should bless us with with an E question on this of all days!

I have immense pleasure in (and I'm sure you won't mind my) revealing that today is Caliban's birthday! Quite a big one, too

A Very Happy Birthday to you

My is in the post (having unsuccessfully scoured several bookshops before coming across a signed hardback copy online)

Enjoy!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                          Caliban, how serendipitous that you should bless us with with an E question on this of all days!

I have immense pleasure in (and I'm sure you won't mind my) revealing that today is Caliban's birthday! Quite a big one, too

A Very Happy Birthday to you

My is in the post (having unsuccessfully scoured several bookshops before coming across a signed hardback copy online)

Enjoy!
                          How kind how kind. I suppose, for Latinists, it should ideally be an "L"... but never mind...

Thanks

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

Yes, indeed, Happy Birthday Caliban

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Cheers!! Going to be offline soon in a series of meetings for the rest of the day but still

I note that no one seems even to have attempted to present me with the answer to "E"

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Three Es, all in the same line of work, cut their teeth in (respectively) Prague, Salzburg and Santa Fe, but each moved on to become primarily associated with 3 different cities. E1 was 21 when E2 was born. E2 was 23 when E3 was born.
                                I now do you the honour of hopefully solving this. I think we are talking about three conductors named Erich.

Erich Kleiber b.1890, studied in Prague went on to Berlin
                                Erich Leinsdorf b.1912 studied in Salzburg, ended up in Boston
                                Erich Kunzel b.1935 started at the Santa Fe opera and ended up conducting the Cincinatti Pops (a bit of a retrograde step if you ask me)

You could have thrown in Erich Schmid of the Tonhalle, Zurich as well, I suppose!

Comment

Working...
                                X