This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

I think you did good rubbernecker, with all the other clues. So it's you with the B Guess everyone else immersed in some Northern soap opera?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I think you did good rubbernecker
      Why are we now reduced to this vulgar street talk? I think you've been watching too many episodes of The Wire, Anna

Ok, I'll busy myself with a B

Comment

• rubbernecker

What B began with B minor in 1857, was shown-off in London in 1885, and became a W in 1917?

Comment

• rubbernecker

On reflection, I think that's a little too fiendish - certainly not Google-able, so I'll tell you the answer is not a person, nor is it a piece of music.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            On reflection, I think that's a little too fiendish - certainly not Google-able, so I'll tell you the answer is not a person, nor is it a piece of music.
            Well, I did think Balakirev would be too easy I'll look in tomorrow.
            Last edited by Guest; 15-02-11, 22:29.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

hercule got the Oscar Wilde, the Lloyd George was Adams "My Father knew Charles Ives" as opposed to "Lloyd George knew my Father my Father knew Lloyd George!. It was El Nino and Hoodoo Zehphyr for the weather.

I could have added Oliver Twist "Nancy's Fancy" or an item found in a Chapel "Harmonium" or items found on trees or cardigans "Gnarly Buttons"

Looks like you got the B
              I am totally lost on the explanation

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                What B began with B minor in 1857, was shown-off in London in 1885, and became a W in 1917?
                Bechstein?

In 1857, Hans von Bülow (Liszt's son-in-law) gave the first public performance on a Bechstein grand piano by performing Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor in Berlin.

In 1885, Bechstein opened a branch in London,

It was renamed Wigmore Hall, and then re-opened under the new name in 1917.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                  Bechstein?

In 1857, Hans von Bülow (Liszt's son-in-law) gave the first public performance on a Bechstein grand piano by performing Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor in Berlin.

In 1885, Bechstein opened a branch in London,

It was renamed Wigmore Hall, and then re-opened under the new name in 1917.
                  And there I was thinking it was going to be another long and tortuous night with the Alphabettis baying at my virtual door...

Extremely well done, bts. I don't know how you did it. Bechstein is spot-on, as is your explanation.

EDIT: Well, actually the Bechstein Hall was built next door to the showroom and that became the Wigmore

The C is on you...
                  Last edited by Guest; 15-02-11, 22:56. Reason: Clarifying history of Bechstein Hall

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Guess everyone else immersed in some Northern soap opera?
                    Dear Anna
                    For your information, Coronation Street is normally broadcast on ITV1 at the following times:
                    1930-2000 and 2030-2100 on Mondays
                    2030-2100 on Thursdays
                    1930-2000 and 2030-2100 on Fridays.
                    There are also repeats on ITV2 late at night and the following day, and an omnibus on ITV 1 at the weekends.
                    I cannot speak for other Northern soaps, by which I assume you mean the unmentionable *mm*rd*al*, also on ITV1, and Hollyoaks on Channel 4, which is firmy directed towards the 'yoof' market.
                    Please let me know if I can be of further assistance in this regard.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Actually I think Anna's a secret Pobol Y Cwm fanatic

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

It was pure serendipity....one of those chance thoughts. Will have to sleep on C and give it a bit more thought as opposed to my too cryptic ones of late!

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

As you all know, I am no longer a Corrie watcher (a partially unavoidable by-product of being a one-tv household), so apologies if this is common knowledge, but...

word on the Street is, Big Jim McD is coming back!! So he is.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Sorry for the slight hiatus.

Amongst the oeuvre of three composers are three works..one each. C appears in the title of two of the works and C is one of the key subjects of the third piece. C is not a musical term but has something in common with Suffragettes.

What is C?

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

C for Colour perhaps?
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Sorry not Colour ...but interested to know of the works that would fit the bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X