X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

The first L could have gone nuclear if not for the composer of a work including the second L, which could have gone royal. The third Ls could have lived for ever with a violinist, but didn't.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post

The first L could have gone nuclear if not for the composer of a work including the second L, which could have gone royal. The third Ls could have lived for ever with a violinist, but didn't.
      Blimey, Flay - that's not a 2 minutes job is it...

Is it something to do with Lorraine Hunt Lieberson? Or Los Alamos? (Thinking of Doctor Atomic, of course...)

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Blimey, Flay - that's not a 2 minutes job is it...

Is it something to do with Lorraine Hunt Lieberson? Or Los Alamos? (Thinking of Doctor Atomic, of course...)

Sorry, none of these (and it isn't lion either ). The L is the same word in each. Let me help.

The first two have operatic connections. The third is a film, it has music, but is not a musical. All are 20th century, although the second shares something picked from the 17th
        Last edited by Flay; 16-04-12, 22:29. Reason: Added more to the excuses for clues
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Over to you for Henze... about whom I know nothing (or rather, a little more than nothing, now)
          Oooh...... it was only about 8 weeks ago when you again claimed not to know Henze and I warmly recommended to you L'Upupa und der Triumph der Sohnesliebe which you promised to seek out!
          First look at Flay's with lots of L's made me think it must be something Welsh, but his last answer suggests not and more thought is needed.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Oooh...... it was only about 8 weeks ago when you again claimed not to know Henze and I warmly recommended to you L'Upupa und der Triumph der Sohnesliebe which you promised to seek out!
            Yes, so far I have utterly failed on the Henze front And on the L question front...

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

First look at Flay's with lots of L's made me think it must be something Welsh, but his last answer suggests not and more thought is needed.
              It's Llareggub to do with Wales, I'm afraid. The third was set just a little further south...
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

...And Debussy was indirectly involved
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

the second shares something picked from the 17th
                  Are the slightly unusual words you've chosen for that sentence significant?

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Are the slightly unusual words you've chosen for that sentence significant?
                    The former was simply chosen for the alliteration . The Latter might lead somewhere. Keep sniffing
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

So, just to be clear. All three L's are the same person and/or word and is this L, if a person, American and not of a classical bent? Just answer me that and I can go to bed and forget all about it until Dawn's rosy fingers, etc.,

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

So, just to be clear. All three L's are the same person and/or word and is this L, if a person, American and not of a classical bent? Just answer me that and I can go to bed and forget all about it until Dawn's rosy fingers, etc.,
                        OK, it is just one word. No Americans as far as I am aware (although our violinist did have his heart set on America). The first is a surname. The second is the subject of a song (not an aria) within an opera. The third are in the title of the film.

Now you may sleep dulcet in a cove of wool
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

No Americans as far as I am aware
                          Now you may sleep dulcet in a cove of wool
                          Well, that's thrown my theory (which I was just formulating) out of the water and I confess I have no idea whatsoever of any answer (re the nuclear, I was working on space and elements)
                          By 'eck Gladys! What on earth is a cove of wool? Some archaic expression from the Frozen North to do with t'mill?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Brain's closing down. Will resume sniffing in the morning

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

By 'eck Gladys! What on earth is a cove of wool? Some archaic expression from the Frozen North to do with t'mill?
                              But nothing compared with the valleys... ... "Mrs Organ Morgan... sleeps very dulcet in a cove of wool, and trumpeting Organ Morgan at her side snores no louder than a spider."
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Just testing you Flay, just testing! Actually, I hope you are not suggesting I am anything like Mrs. O-M ......... see you on the morrow!

Comment

Working...
                                X