Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

and
      Looks like I'm scratching my chin!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• rubbernecker

Looks like I'm scratching my chin!

...and this is me scratching my head trying to think of a U. Maybe I'll try a V instead...

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

A very warm Welcome Back, rubbers!
          ... assolutamente! You have been much missed. Who but you can keep Cannibalman in some semblance of order??

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... assolutamente! You have been much missed. Who but you can keep Cannibalman in some semblance of order??
            Trop gentil.

A V to connect a Russian composer who ennobled himself on Broadway; a British light music tenor; and an affectionately dead British conductor

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              So in the hope of enticing a lurking Norfolk Born and Anna back
              Hello Boys! I can't speak for Norfy but I am finally back after a nasty little virus and a dash to the furthest reaches of England on a mission of mercy. Have you all been fighting in the playground again? Goodness, I must put my School Prefect hat on again and look very sternly upon you all!!!

And, hello rubbers (funny how you pop up at the same time as myself after a long absence, has anyone noticed you never see us in the room together at the same time?)

Only just looking at your puzzle, and not really back into playful mode, is the affectionately dead British conductor my mate Tod?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                hello rubbers (funny how you pop up at the same time as myself after a long absence
                If tongues weren't wagging before, might I suggest that they do so now?

Great to see you back and your Tod starter is as good as any! Been trawling for amusing quotes about Beecham and Sargent etc without success...

And is the 'light music tenor' a gentleman from the heyday of light music, or a contemporary performer?

Anyway for the returned happy couple!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Hello Boys! I can't speak for Norfy but I am finally back after a nasty little virus and a dash to the furthest reaches of England on a mission of mercy. Have you all been fighting in the playground again? Goodness, I must put my School Prefect hat on again and look very sternly upon you all!!!

And, hello rubbers (funny how you pop up at the same time as myself after a long absence, has anyone noticed you never see us in the room together at the same time?)

Only just looking at your puzzle, and not really back into playful mode, is the affectionately dead British conductor my mate Tod?
                  Oh, my dear Anna. I am convinced I experienced a frisson at the presentiment of your return which must have made me pop up at that particular moment...

I trust you can be coaxed into full playful mode very soon, to whit, I shall begin by flattering you to tell you your Tod is bang on the money

I do hope that virus isn't catching!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

And is the 'light music tenor' a gentleman from the heyday of light music, or a contemporary performer?
                    ?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Depends entirely on what you mean by the heyday. Listening to the present R3 morning schedule you might well be forgiven for thinking that the day is now.

The tenor was born in 1940 and may have now retired, I don't know

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                        I trust you can be coaxed into full playful mode very soon, to whit, I shall begin by flattering you to tell you your Tod is bang on the money
                        Oh, my dear rubbers, believe me I am still not in playful mode and ready to respond fully, but I am wondering, is the study of insects involved regarding the Tenor?

Comment

• rubbernecker

Oh, my dear rubbers, believe me I am still not in playful mode and ready to respond fully, but I am wondering, is the study of insects involved regarding the Tenor?
                          Indeed so. I believe that his former day job involved the study of various pests and parasites. A bit like mine

In fact, he has quite an appropriate surname!

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... and your Russian was lower than a prince but higher than a marquess...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                              Indeed so. I believe that his former day job involved the study of various pests and parasites. A bit like mine
                              Gosh, a bit like the predicament I find myself in, except the pests and parasites at the moment dignify themselves with the title of Rogue Solicitors of This Parish aka It's our mess and you'll pay dearly to get it sorted.

I think I may hand this puzzle over to Our Learned Counsel Caliban, he is not adverse to Taking a Chance on Love!! (also, where is everyone, Norfy, Cloughie, mercy, Ferney - Blimey that sounds like a football team) - and where is Flay, the wise counsellor and arbiter of common sense when you need him?
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-04-12, 17:06.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... and your Russian was lower than a prince but higher than a marquess...
                                In the ranks of the British peerage, yes. In Russia I expect the equivalent would be a Count

Anyone actually going to answer this...?

Comment

Working...
                                X