• Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Samson
    Missing a 'p': Sampson

Details?

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

so sorry to have upset you Norfie. I think I took this post of yours (directed at subcontra I think) seriously.

I herewith confer upon you the honour of setting the next question.
      Subcontra didn't seem to be in the mood for backing down on the validity of his answer, I thought it best to let the game continue in the absence of the setter of the question. I think we were told to sort it out between us. Sincere apologies.

Apart from me leaving the game, what should happen now in your opinion?
      Last edited by mercia; 01-04-12, 08:55.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Mercs: what should happen now in my opinion is that certain people (among whom neither of us numbers ) who happen to be blessed with a degree of built-in superiority should be tactful enough not to let it inform the great majority of their posts. If I shared that sense of superiority, I would at this point assume that Sampson was the correct answer and proceed to set the next question. But that's not my style.

It would have been nice if somebody had been interested enough to enquire, just out of interest, after my own answer to my admittedly imperfect question after - admittedly acting on my exasperated suggestion - you had dealt with the matter to your mutual satisfaction.

There's no need for you to leave the game on my account. As for me.... any questions that I might have set in future would probably have had to be tested to destruction to ensure that they're scb-proof, and everybody else would probably lose the will to live between my qualifying to set a question and actually posting it.

Still, it was fun....

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Can I just say that I've received a number of private messages (which I genuinely neither expected nor sought) essentially expressing agreement with my views. I did not - indeed, do not - wish to start any sort of campaign, but I do think it's worth pointing out that I do not appear to be alone. Thank you all!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            Missing a 'p': Sampson

Details?
            Ah? (Or should that be 'R'?) Sampson.

Satisfied?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Elisa thingy: Mr. Sampson of Omaha

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Ah? (Or should that be 'R'?) Sampson.

Satisfied?
                That Deplilah's mate?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

The 5th movement of the 'Missa super Es solt ein Megdlein', composed by 'Sampson', is an Agnus Dei. The R. Sampson to whom I alluded earlier seems to have been associated with music at the court of Henry VIII.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    That Deplilah's mate?

scb advised me that me that I had, as it were, taken the pee out of his answer.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Secure in the knowledge that my answer is almost certainly wrong and/or lacking in detail I shall now partake of lunch (gammon, garlic mushrooms and other vegetables whose identity has not yet been revealed, followed by profiteroles and accompanied by some Chianti - great value, these M &S 'Dine in For Two' specials), and then proceed to the local church for 90 minutes or so of Mozart: the quartet K421 and a 'Sing-Along' Requiem (I shan't be singing, but will be helping with the interval refreshments). Should there be any call for a 'T', please feel free to seek approval from the relevant party.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Secure in the knowledge that my answer is almost certainly wrong and/or lacking in detail I shall now partake of lunch (gammon, garlic mushrooms and other vegetables whose identity has not yet been revealed, followed by profiteroles and accompanied by some Chianti - great value, these M &S 'Dine in For Two' specials), and then proceed to the local church for 90 minutes or so of Mozart: the quartet K421 and a 'Sing-Along' Requiem (I shan't be singing, but will be helping with the interval refreshments). Should there be any call for a 'T', please feel free to seek approval from the relevant party.
                        Sounds like a good way to while away an hour or three. Enjoy!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                          • Nov 2010

The 5th movement of the 'Missa super Es solt ein Megdlein', composed by 'Sampson', is an Agnus Dei. The R. Sampson to whom I alluded earlier seems to have been associated with music at the court of Henry VIII.
                          The Sampson at the court of Henry VIII composed Psallite Felices in honour of the king. "The Lamb" was the nickname of another Sampson from a different era.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Sounds like a good way to while away an hour or three. Enjoy!
                            The lunch was delicious and the Mozart wonderful, thank you. I was hoping for some AA-related inspiration during the 'Agnus Dei', but alas there was none. Are you going (like a lamb to the slaughter, as it were) to have a go at the remaining part of scb's question, 'cos I sure as hell can't be bothered. (Split hairs till the crack of doom, will some folk).
                            (Actually, I genuinely have no idea as to how much, if any, of the current question I've got right. scb's utterances are even more gnomic than usual...)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

In response to a couple of PM requests, but also in the interest of making the world a happier place:
                              Dvorak Romance Opus 11
                              Clara Schumann Romance Opus 11
                              Finzi Romance Opus 11
                              All of which mercs mentioned, had anybody been interested enough to enquire.
                              There are also, my team of researchers tell me, some 50 different recordings of the jazz number Opus 1, so I guess that might also have been a pretty smart answer.
                              Did Larry The Lamb have an irregular sexual liaison with some animal or other example of life form called Sampson?
                              Has that chap from a well known BBC1 programme (you know, L....) ever been seen wearing a Samson costume with the name misspelt?
                              Is it really the end for Ken and Deirdrie?
                              Is Marcus the nicest gay on TV?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Ipswich Town are now in 14th place in the Championship. That's the highest they've been since the last time they were that high. I was there when they won the old First Division title you know*. They beat Aston Villa 2-0. The attendance was 28,932. I've never forgotten that - head full of useless facts - not allowed to play Trivial Pursuit, relegated to question master. Nicholas Parsons is 20 years older than me....time for my bacon sarnie. More interesting trivia later!
                                * 50 years ago yesterday. 50 years, eh ....makes you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X