• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    3 Death of a Hero is a World War I novel by Richard Aldington

2 A Hero's Song, Op.111 (Dvořák, Antonín).

1 Morning Heroes is a choral symphony by the English composer Arthur Bliss. The work received its first performance at the Norwich Festival
    1 & 2 completely correct (or as appears on the card, as we say)

for 3 try following caliban's hint

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

3 Death of a Hero is a World War I novel by Richard Aldington

2 A Hero's Song, Op.111 (Dvořák, Antonín).

1 Morning Heroes is a choral symphony by the English composer Arthur Bliss. The work received its first performance at the Norwich Festival
      For 3. I was thinking the last section of Richard Strauss's "Heldenleben" - A Hero's Life - which is "Des Helden Weltflucht und Vollendung" (The Hero's Retirement from this World and Consummation)
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        For 3. I was thinking the last section of Richard Strauss's "Heldenleben" - A Hero's Life - which is "Des Helden Weltflucht und Vollendung" (The Hero's Retirement from this World and Consummation)
        that's what I was thinking too

what happens now ? are we still awaiting a question from Angle ??

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          that's what I was thinking too
          what happens now ? are we still awaiting a question from Angle ??
          I don't think Angle has logged in since last night (there was a Rick Wakeman soundtrack to the film Hero about Maradonna retiring wasn't there?) I Imagine it's cloughie encore une fois! I won't be around, so play nicely....

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I don't think Angle has logged in since last night (there was a Rick Wakeman soundtrack to the film Hero about Maradonna retiring wasn't there?) I Imagine it's cloughie encore une fois! I won't be around, so play nicely....
            But cloughie's out to a football match - Truro City v Boreham Wood!
            Last edited by cloughie; 13-03-12, 23:57.

Comment

• Anna

But cloughie's out to a football match - Truro City v Borehamwood!
              Gosh! I cannot think of anything more exciting than that! (Who is Borehamwood?)

Comment

• amateur51

EDIT: Oh... I seem to have been unheroic Johnny-come-lately on this - that'll teach me to take a phone call in mid-answer
                Miss Moneypenny no longer prepared to do switchboard over-time at Caliban Towers, Caliban?

Comment

• amateur51

Wonder what Ammy's up to all day

I've been having a 'Last of the Summer Wine' day out with my mate Sam (combined age 134) - we went for a drift around The Angel Islington, took in 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' at Islington Voo and then repaired to Wevverspoons for late lunge.

There being no hill steep enough in Islington down which we could push the bath this week, we caught a 30 bus to Baker Street and did wend our separate ways home, in time for a post-Wevverspoons snooze.

Such is a day in the life of a member of the LotSW collective

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Miss Moneypenny no longer prepared to do switchboard over-time at Caliban Towers, Caliban?
                    She asked for a pay-rise, I offered to give her one, and she ran from the place screaming. What's a chap to do, Q?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I've been having a 'Last of the Summer Wine' day out with my mate Sam (combined age 134) - we went for a drift around The Angel Islington, took in 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' at Islington Voo and then repaired to Wevverspoons for late lunge.

There being no hill steep enough in Islington down which we could push the bath this week, we caught a 30 bus to Baker Street and did wend our separate ways home, in time for a post-Wevverspoons snooze.

Such is a day in the life of a member of the LotSW collective
                      Sounds great! How is that fillum?

Comment

• amateur51

Sounds great! How is that fillum?
                        It was very good, didn't patronise India and its people, a silly story addressing some more serious issues of ageing in Western societies, some very good performances from a troupe of British character actors who are possibly the best in the world. Some moving scenes, some silly continuity glitches (Dame Maggie's accent starts in Yorkshire and has drifted to Essex by the time of her character's remarkable volte-face which provides the film's dénouement) but all-in-all an enjoyable film

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Gosh! I cannot think of anything more exciting than that! (Who is Borehamwood?)
                          Conference South, lower mid-table!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I notice that Deborah Moggach's book has been reissued under the name of the film (it was originally called 'These Foolish Things'). The same thing happened to 'Schindler's Ark', which became 'Schindler's List'.
                            The Truro City v. Borehamwood clash has finished and so cloughie is presumably on his way home*. In the meantime, I thought I'd just offer a thought on the subject of movie tie-ins while waiting for a question to materialize.
                            Regarding Norris as Greek chorus: I would remind m'learned friend that he was right about Richard Hillman.....
                            EDIT: *Aha! I see he has returned - just in time for me to wish him, and everyone else, Good Night.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                              I notice that Deborah Moggach's book has been reissued under the name of the film (it was originally called 'These Foolish Things'). The same thing happened to 'Schindler's Ark', which became 'Schindler's List'.
                              The Truro City v. Borehamwood clash has finished and so cloughie is presumably on his way home*. In the meantime, I thought I'd just offer a thought on the subject of movie tie-ins while waiting for a question to materialize.
                              Regarding Norris as Greek chorus: I would remind m'learned friend that he was right about Richard Hillman.....
                              EDIT: *Aha! I see he has returned - just in time for me to wish him, and everyone else, Good Night.
                              When I said I was off to the match my unavailability was intended to let someone else do an I, its Angle's by right, right Angle. Anyway it can be sorted in the morning.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Oh dear Mister Angle
                                You've left us to dangle
                                You're proving oblique
                                But a question we seek
                                Before we all get in a tangle.

Comment

Working...
                                X