• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Olympic tickets shambles

I imagine I'm in the minority here but I was interested to try for at least one visit to the Olympics in the summer. My original application having returned precisely nothing, I tried again today when the 'ticket exchange' scheme starts http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...nge-opens.html

What a shambles. I found some moderate priced tickets in the velodrome and the aquatics centre, billed on the site as 'available'... but repeated reservation and progress to the checkout page resulted in a contradictory 'there are no tickets corresponding to your request'

I give up

Already when starting the original application last year, my back was up when you could only apply using a Visa card: to justify their commercial tie-in, all other means of payment were excluded.

I know no-one who has got any of the tickets they asked for.

I have seen better-run whelk stalls.

Anyone else had a better experience? Anyone else interested? Anyone think that the Games are a complete waste of time and money?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Lateralthinking1

I don't believe in holding parties when the house is unfit for human habitation.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Olympics, you say? This year? Here in Blighty? Well, I never.....

Comment

• Anna

There was a thread when tickets first went on sale. Two people were successful in gaining a small percentage of what they applied for, one of which was Rubbernecker, Late of This Parish! I had a look at the site but didn't want to have to create an account so I could search. I've no particular interest in the Olympics but, having said that, I wouldn't mind going to an event just to be able to say I Was There! I think the best thing is to keep on trying as people may have changed their minds when it gets to processing order?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I found some moderate priced tickets in the velodrome and the aquatics centre, billed on the site as 'available'...
          Yer wanna se real cycling, Caliban? Come up here on your travel pass, for nothing, and watch the cloned in their shades and lycra effortlessly ascending the heights to Crystal Wonderland, unconditionally and year round, of a Saturday morn before nine, where all gather at our answer to Paris's Rive Gauche and block the pavement. As to aquatics there's a pet shop selling goldfish and associated paraphernalia nearby.

Comment

• Anna

Very Good S-A! The time trials, and road racing for cycling, not in the drome, are they tickets only as well or can you just turn up? If I could choose a non-mainstream event I'd like to go to the fencing.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

They managed things better in 1948

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Very Good S-A! The time trials, and road racing for cycling, not in the drome, are they tickets only as well or can you just turn up? If I could choose a non-mainstream event I'd like to go to the fencing.
                Fencing? Some blew down yesterday, but otherwise plenty of that here! Notice opposite - "W Clack - South London Fencing". A good onomatopoeic name!

(PS No fence was intended in the posting of this message)

Comment

• Anna

UPDATE FOR CALIBAN: Ticket site suspended due to problems. Please try again later!
                  London 2012 suspends the Olympic ticket resale system on the day it was launched after problems with the official website.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    UPDATE FOR CALIBAN: Ticket site suspended due to problems. Please try again later!
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16430850
                    Good update, Anna, thanks!

"Games organiser Locog said the website was being "refreshed and updated"."

I'd love to listen in to the call between The Lord Coe and the Ticketmaster MD

S_A your #5 brought a smile to a chilly Friday afternoon
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Sounds about as well organised as my Energy Supplier, First Utility. It's impossible to get through on the phone, and you can't email them because the system is being "upgraded".

I wonder if they and LOCOG share the same customer service providers??
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• OldTechie
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                        I wonder if they and LOCOG share the same customer service providers??
                        You can tell when someone is really cross with their supplier when they start naming them in public - as Royal Mail has done:

It seems someone decided to introduce new software on 20th November - obviously they thought Deecember would be a quiet time for the post.

It's still broken!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by OldTechie View Post
                          You can tell when someone is really cross with their supplier when they start naming them in public - as Royal Mail has done:
                          More naming & shaming, I say. Then the Tory & New Labour fibs about the private sector being more efficient will be well & truly nailed.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            More naming & shaming, I say. Then the Tory & New Labour fibs about the private sector being more efficient will be well & truly nailed.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Caliban, you can always head for Box Hill for the cycling or Weymouth for the sailing. "Several vantage points if you don't have a ticket" it says....Much nicer I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                              X