X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Sep 2024

Social Engineering

Following on from the report by the Commission on Assisted Dying, which in actuality is far less a Commission than Ian Paisley is a Doctor, we now hear from "the University of London and the BMJ" that "Brain function can start declining "as early as age 45". Odd then that the researchers - Kivimaki, Glymour, Elbaz, Berr, Ebmeier, Ferrie and Dugravot - can be contacted about their findings via the research director, Archana Singh-Manoux, at Inserm in France. Maybe they were all artificial implants.

The brain's ability to function can start to deteriorate as early as 45, suggests a study in the British Medical Journal.

Objectives To estimate 10 year decline in cognitive function from longitudinal data in a middle aged cohort and to examine whether age cohorts can be compared with cross sectional data to infer the effect of age on cognitive decline. Design Prospective cohort study. At study inception in 1985-8, there were 10 308 participants, representing a recruitment rate of 73%. Setting Civil service departments in London, United Kingdom. Participants 5198 men and 2192 women, aged 45-70 at the beginning of cognitive testing in 1997-9. Main outcome measure Tests of memory, reasoning, vocabulary, and phonemic and semantic fluency, assessed three times over 10 years. Results All cognitive scores, except vocabulary, declined in all five age categories (age 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, and 65-70 at baseline), with evidence of faster decline in older people. In men, the 10 year decline, shown as change/range of test×100, in reasoning was −3.6% (95% confidence interval −4.1% to −3.0%) in those aged 45-49 at baseline and −9.6% (−10.6% to −8.6%) in those aged 65-70. In women, the corresponding decline was −3.6% (−4.6% to −2.7%) and −7.4% (−9.1% to −5.7%). Comparisons of longitudinal and cross sectional effects of age suggest that the latter overestimate decline in women because of cohort differences in education. For example, in women aged 45-49 the longitudinal analysis showed reasoning to have declined by −3.6% (−4.5% to −2.8%) but the cross sectional effects suggested a decline of −11.4% (−14.0% to −8.9%). Conclusions Cognitive decline is already evident in middle age (age 45-49).

Every day I hear in the media people in their late 50s and early 60s emphasizing the fact that they are getting old. It happens on this very forum. Very differently, all of the neighbours in my local community aged between 70 and 95 say that they feel young. It just might be that all the emphasis on youth culture from the 1960s onwards has encouraged in a sort of overly negative contrast feelings of being old at a younger age. If so, this is now being accentuated by further policies of social engineering.

The cohort for this study was selected in 1985-1988, the first four years that I was in the civil service. They say that letters of invitation were written to civil servants in 20 Government Departments. Funny then that this is the first I have ever heard of it. Cognitive testing commenced in 1997-1999, the first three years of Labour, and couldn't you just have predicted it. It set out to see whether mental impairment commenced at age 45, hence ruling out any question of decline from, say, 35 or 25 or 15.

The result could only have been a disadvantage to those between 45 and 65. This is wholly in line with shifts in modern management. Back in 1985, it was generally the case that you would have to have been absolutely brilliant to be young and in senior management. For the vast majority, you would get there bit by bit as you waited your turn. So most 20-somethings would work to 50-somethings. Not any longer. Now it is frequently the other way round. Personally that is not something I could accept. Those who have kids might well be used to being ordered around by them. Had I been a parent, that wouldn't have been the case.

Now, as pensions can't be provided as before, cuts are being made "coincidentally" to those in their late 40s as they are "too expensive", and GPs may be permitted to be accessories to killing, we have this study. What is obvious is that the decisions on reducing pensions - and lifespans - were being taken early in the period of monetarism. It was all mapped out. The fact that this country was more adequately managed for decades by people in their 50s, 60s and 70s, who had the benefit of experience and a broader context of morality, is being eradicated. I really do feel that I would rather be living in the old Soviet Union.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-12, 18:07.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The old Soviet Union sported the advantages of being planned but all the disdavantages of being centrally so, and top-down, let alone matters of human and democratic rights, and let even more alone impact on the natural environment.

That said, while it hadn't occurred to me that the CAD conclusions (double huh!) could well be a deliberate confection to take account of demographics, the late forties in my own case did mark first indications of faltering memory - er, what did you say your name was, for the third time ? - which would bear them out, especialy as my Mum, who had always been forgetful in my mind, succumbed to Alzheimers in her mid-seventies.

From talking to my contemporaries, friends and acquaintances, my problem would seem pretty general, not confined to gender, and, luckily for me, slow.

Now, what did you say your name was???

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Thank you s_a. You identify another big concern I have with this study, namely that it is being discussed widely in the context of Alzheimers. Surely there isn't any direct link between age trends vis a vis memory and the developing of Alzheimers.

Furthermore, they seem to be combining issues about memory capacity with notions around IQ and/or mental dexterity to create a general haze over these three very complicated areas. While speed of recall is important to action, it may not necessarily be the most useful trait for the person with a finger on the nuclear button.

The same applies to many other more ordinary areas of professional life. Manic speed is becoming too godlike. For example, I note that those who have undertaken this study have found that it would not have been possible to complete it in less than 27 years. And presumably they are all above the age of 45, unless they started it at 18.

How ironic. By being who they are, they have produced conclusions that must by definition be dismissed as the witterings of slow old fools or don't they apply to them for some reason? I doubt that many bright sparks would see through that contradiction and clearly those in the media haven't done so. They can't see beyond the politics of their age groups.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-12, 18:11.

Comment

• handsomefortune

both a fantastic thread subject, and posts lateral thinking1!

...... i've been having similar doubts to your own myself, and suspect lots of people do tbh .... it looks suspiciously more and more like a stitch up....of a particularly hypocritical and devicive sort.

Comment

Working...
        X