• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Has the programme touched on her kleptomaniac tendencies?
    The first programme mentioned that Mary's parents were hard-up and had to resort to selling off the 'family silver'. That could be the origins of her rather clever trick of greatly admiring an object that took her fancy, wherebye her host was obliged to present said object to her.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      But the "English" are German, Flossie! (Angles, Saxons - Sasenachs/Saesnegs - Jutes). For real indiginuity (?) we have to go back to somebody who'd nowadays be regarded as "Welsh"!

Yes, I thoiught I'd probably get it wrong

I've probably got the Scottish bit wrong as well.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Let's wait til King Chas the Interferer has been on the throne a couple of years, then we'll have a referendum, scotty
        You'd think that, with the record of the previous two Charles (one believeng firmly in his divine right to interfere & do what he wanted, the other having multiple mistresses), they would have steered clear of the name. Perhaps they thought the present one would redeem his predecessors?

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

The Royal Mail has issued (or will issue) stamps featuring the Windsor dynasty. This follows on from series featuring the Stuarts and the Hanoverians. They seem to have skipped the Saxe-Coburg-Gotthas, of which the sole representative is Edward VII. Poor old Eddie, especially as Ed VIII is featured in the Windsors & he didn't even have a coronation!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

two progs was pushing it rather far i thought .... the new info such as it was, was interesting but could have been easily covered in a single programme ....

i confess that the recurring images of Lenin cheered me up rather and i never thought i would say that! having been born in the early days of Atlee's administration, i have concluded that his is the only progressive government i will ever see .....
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

Can anyone trace my Mary of Teck thread which I'd like to link to on here. I've not had any luck.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                Can anyone trace my Mary of Teck thread which I'd like to link to on here. I've not had any luck.
                Here it is ShB (found via the search box)

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Thank you Anna ... I did try the search box but it seemed not to care for my input.

Anyhow, to those just joining us, why not dip into and discover all about the world of Queen Mary of Teck ... long serving consort, mother to two kings and likely kleptomaniac!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Let's wait til King Chas the Interferer has been on the throne a couple of years, then we'll have a referendum, scotty
                    I thought he was considering being known as King George VII in view of the negative impressions of his Stuart forebears?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I thought he was considering being known as King George VII in view of the negative impressions of his Stuart forebears?
                      I thought he was considering being known as King Arthur (our once and future King, Arthur one of his middle names)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Well that leaves only one more possibility: King Philip, and somehow, I can't see him adopting that one.

Comment

• Anna

Well that leaves only one more possibility: King Philip, and somehow, I can't see him adopting that one.
                          And when it comes to William's turn. King William (or King Billy) is hardly auspicious is it. But his other names are Arthur Philip Louis. King Louis of England. Would the French like that?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Yes, I remember this. He made the statement more-or-less at the same time as the film The Madness of King George came out, which made me wonder which set of "negative impressions" he thought the more damaging. Presumably he thinks porphyria a better "image" than foundng the Royal Society, the Royal Observatory, the Royal Academy, the Poet Laureate, the Master of the Monarch's Music, Astronomer Royal ...

Anyway, I suspect it won't matter. Mum will carry on for as long as grandmama and then Son will take over.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              And when it comes to William's turn. King William (or King Billy) is hardly auspicious is it. But his other names are Arthur Philip Louis.
                              Only four names! May of Teck was called (according to Wikipedia) Victoria Mary Augusta Louisa Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes. I wonder if she could remember them all. She probably never had to write her name on an exam paper, luckily. Actually, I think it's rather a good idea to have so many names - you're bound to like one of them.

Comment

• scottycelt

If true, that might be enough to make some of us turn into horrid wee republicans ...

Comment

Working...
                                X