X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Biffo View Post
    Flosshilde: I quoted from Wikipedia in my posting and acknowledged the fact.
    Oops, sorry, missed that.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      As children we were always told that a year's bad luck would ensue unless all Christmas decorations were removed before the twelfth night. Last year I discovered that I had forgotten to remove two chrismas cards after twelfth night. I have had an exceptionally unlucky year.
      I've just taken the decorations off the christmas tree - well, really a weeping fig - to the accompaniament of suitable music - the 6th part of Bach's Christmas Oratorio.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        I've just taken the decorations off the christmas tree - well, really a weeping fig - to the accompaniament of suitable music - the 6th part of Bach's Christmas Oratorio.
        Damn - should have thought of that!

Comment

• marthe

Ornaments have to wait until tomorrow (Saturday 7 January) because my daughter, who wasn't here for Christmas, is coming to visit tomorrow. Today I helped my mother take the ornaments off her tree thus keeping the tradition of ending Christmas at Epiphany. I find it sad to see trees placed at the roadside, the day after Christmas, to be carted away by the rubbish collectors.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
            Ornaments have to wait until tomorrow (Saturday 7 January) because my daughter, who wasn't here for Christmas, is coming to visit tomorrow. Today I helped my mother take the ornaments off her tree thus keeping the tradition of ending Christmas at Epiphany. I find it sad to see trees placed at the roadside, the day after Christmas, to be carted away by the rubbish collectors.
            Years ago my father planted our small Christmas tree in our garden. It grew and grew for some years, eventually Ifound it impossible to get rid of the bindweed that smothered it and it was finally banished.

Inow have a tiny artificial tree

Comment

• marthe

saly, years ago my parents bought a "live" tree (one with roots rather than a cut tree) and planted it out at the front of their property after Christmas. It actually grew into a rather handsome spruce...until someone came along and cut it down one Christmas. I hope that they had the joy of the tree for Christmas. For the past two years, I've ordered a boxwood tree for my mother from the local florist. They make these trees of boxwood branches that are stuck into a piece of oasis (florist's foam) and then decorated with fruits, birds, ribbons etc. Very pretty and just the right size for my Mother's room at the nursing home!

My very first Christmas tree was actually a bunch of fir branches gleaned from a Christmas tree lot the day or so before Christmas. I brought these branches back to my apartment in Boston, tied them together, and stuck them in a large coffee can filled with water. My roomates and I then decorated our "tree" with small ornaments! It looked like a "Charlie Brown" tree but we thought it very pretty. The scent of fir branches was heavenly!

This year's tree will be placed out in the garden as a bird feeding station where we'll hang pieces of bread and suet for the resident winter birds. I'll also cut some of the lower branches to use as mulch in the garden.

Comment

• PatrickOD

Little Christmas - bye bye. Only three hundred and foxty throw days until the tree comes out again. Have yourself a Merry......

Comment

Working...
                X