Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

I've just listened to Radio 2 for the first time in ages. As I scanned the Radio Times for what Radio 3 was offering my eye was caught by Radio 2 bringing Top of the Pops for this week in 1967 with Tony Blackburn. It was such a big year that I couldn't resist. I started it off as a Sixth Former in London and ended up as an undergraduate in far-away Durham. That was where my musical tastes turned "square", so I was revisiting a pre-classical version of me, finding that 44 years later I could still join in verbatim in dodgy falsetto with most of the hits of the day: Don't Walk Away Renee - Four Topps, Something's Got a Hold of my Heart - Gene Pitney and other classics. OK, Val Doonican and Cliff Richard were in there but it seemed like a great chart list to me. The Number One, the Beatles' Hello, Goodbye, was quite fitting since this was an obvious leaving-home turning-point for me - not only in my life but it was the year when pop music took flight and turned psychedelic with Sergeant Pepper and the Summer of Love.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I've just listened to Radio 2 for the first time in ages. As I scanned the Radio Times for what Radio 3 was offering my eye was caught by Radio 2 bringing Top of the Pops for this week in 1967 with Tony Blackburn. It was such a big year that I couldn't resist. I started it off as a Sixth Former in London and ended up as an undergraduate in far-away Durham. That was where my musical tastes turned "square", so I was revisiting a pre-classical version of me, finding that 44 years later I could still join in verbatim in dodgy falsetto with most of the hits of the day: Don't Walk Away Renee - Four Topps, Something's Got a Hold of my Heart - Gene Pitney and other classics. OK, Val Doonican and Cliff Richard were in there but it seemed like a great chart list to me. The Number One, the Beatles' Hello, Goodbye, was quite fitting since this was an obvious leaving-home turning-point for me - not only in my life but it was the year when pop music took flight and turned psychedelic with Sergeant Pepper and the Summer of Love.
    I caught a Tony Blackburn programme on R2 a year or so ago where he played the top 100 discs from the 1960's. I was truly surprised at the large number I could still remember, words and music, close on 50 years later. I was 13 in 1967 and it was a wonderful time to be a teenager. I lost all interest in pop music just 3 years later.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      BBC4 have been showing re-runs of TOTP from 1976 recently, including the Christmas specials.They're a great nostalgia trip- I was 14 that year, and madly in love with Agnetha Falkstog- (the blonde one out of ABBA ).

Although I was already much more into classical music at that time, I used to watch TOTP, and of course the songs were played at parties. It's like a journey back to my youth watching it again. I just wish I could do it for real.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        BBC4 have been showing re-runs of TOTP from 1976 recently, including the Christmas specials.They're a great nostalgia trip- I was 14 that year, and madly in love with Agnetha Falkstog- (the blonde one out of ABBA ).

Although I was already much more into classical music at that time, I used to watch TOTP, and of course the songs were played at parties. It's like a journey back to my youth watching it again. I just wish I could do it for real.
        Somehow I'd always imagined you to be a bit older than me (born 1945), Mr Pee

Comment

• Wallace

Five , four , three, radio two, radio one, go

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Wuff, wuff.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I just look at those four numbers and instantaneously have ideas and feelings. They are conceptual. It wouldn't be easy to describe them. They do though feel almost tangible. It was a distinctive year in an era of years with distinctive traits.

You couldn't say the same about 1987 or 1997 or 2007. I am not quite sure when it was that we moved into a cycle of the mundane. 1972? 1978? 1984? Charitably, I will opt for the latter or thereabouts. Sometime in the mid or late 1980s.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Getting back to Radio 3, this was the year of Walton's opera, The Bear.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I thought the thread was about a year. My mistake.

Comment

• Wallace

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                  I just look at those four numbers and instantaneously have ideas and feelings.
                  1966 - Football
                  1967 - Love
                  1968 - Protest
                  1969 - Moon
                  1970 - It's all over

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Surely they thought it was all over in 1966 - as indeed it was very shortly thereafter!

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
                      1966 - Football
                      What happened in 1966? Don't you mean 1967?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• scottycelt

LOVE? ... if one means LUST, there was nothing like that (at least that I ever encountered) in my teenage years in 1967 Glasgow. Apparently unlike today, the ladies would have none of it, and we gents had our tiny little minds on much more healthy pursuits, believe me.

1967 was THE football year when 11 Scottish footballers (Glaswegian, to all intents and purposes), astonished the sporting world and beyond (and probably themselves) by becoming the very first Northern European team to win the European Cup. An achievement that seems all the more astonishing as the years roll by. Even Bannockburn is challenged for top historic achievement here ...

English, Germans, French, Dutch ... HUH! ... who are these people? ... and 1966 ... what of any world-shattering importance happened then? ... do some of you still celebrate the Battle of Hastings?

Comment

• scottycelt

Crikey, mangerton, even I forgot that was the very year we became unofficial (as distinct from dodgy 'official') World Champions as well ...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
                            1966 - Football
                            1967 - Love
                            1968 - Protest
                            1969 - Moon
                            1970 - It's all over
                            1971 Decimalization
                            1972 Little Jimmy Osmond - Long Haired Lover From Liverpool
                            1973 Power Cuts
                            1974 Harrison Birtwistle becomes composer-in-residence to the Southern Arts Association
                            1975 It is now

Comment

• Norfolk Born

1976 Denis Howell appointed Minister for Drought

Comment

Working...
                              X