• Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Cheap computers - will these happen?

A computer for 25 or 35 dollars - http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Maybe?
  • Biffo

I don't see why not. We already have dirt cheap gadgets and toys that contain microchips - effectively computers - and are practically disposable. I suspect that the processors are already cheap, it is the peripherals and software - the bits that make it usable - that are expensive.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Biffo View Post
      I ... it is the peripherals and software - the bits that make it usable - that are expensive.
      ever thought why Bill Gates is rich - too many monoplolistic + probably illegal agreements - however note these cheap boards are ARM (same processor family as in many smart phones) thus your old PC (+ later Mac) programs won't work - however Linux has been ported and runs many smart phones already - catch is that many manufacturers of peripherals refuse (some it has been suggested strongarmed by certain software manufacturers) not to release sufficient details to allow their peripherals to work away from Windoze or Mac systems (eg Canon scanners, cameras etc). MS effectively killed the netbook market tho Tablets are the new fashion.

Comment

• scottycelt

Some folk are predicting the imminent death of the Desktop computer because of all these fancy tablet/ipad-type things flooding the market.

I doubt it, as there must be plenty of very amateur geeks like myself who occasionally love 'building' their own Linux computers, and can already easily do so for under £100 to create a perfectly workable 'bare-bones' box. Great fun!

Don't like the look of these fruity boards and all this 'soldering on' of expansion cards. Sounds like a bit of a seasonal joke to me.

Comment

Working...
        X