• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Virgin Media site crash?

This morning I find myself unable to access my email at Virgin Media. When i try to access their main site there is no response there, either. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    This morning I find myself unable to access my email at Virgin Media. When i try to access their main site there is no response there, either. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?
    Branson's looking for a shilling to put in the meter at a guess

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Branson's looking for a shilling to put in the meter at a guess
      The whole broadband supply from Virgin went down for a day earlier this week.

They have of course said they are packing up all TV and Internet services (except to mobile phones) as of the end of January so muggins here (having found an alternative TV service - freeview - earlier this year) has to find a new source for broadband.... which will be no more than 13MBps (whereas at the moment via Virgin cable it's 30 MBps). Progress in reverse again

The BT adverts for "Infiniti" - 40-odd MBps - "at the heart of the Olympic City - make me and ... have we got Infiniti in Westminster - pretty central to London, perhaps? No! Are there any plans to upgrade to Infiniti? No...!

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

The Virgin Media cable broadband services seem to be gradually recovering. A few minutes ago I nearly got through to my emails but hit a protocol failure message. That then cleared a minute of two later an I was able to access my emails. While the email service was down, so were many other of their services, including the service status report facility. I'll give that another check in a minute or so.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

They have of course said they are packing up all TV and Internet services (except to mobile phones) as of the end of January so muggins here (having found an alternative TV service - freeview - earlier this year) has to find a new source for broadband.... which will be no more than 13MBps (whereas at the moment via Virgin cable it's 30 MBps). Progress in reverse again

The BT adverts for "Infiniti" - 40-odd MBps - "at the heart of the Olympic City - make me and ... have we got Infiniti in Westminster - pretty central to London, perhaps? No! Are there any plans to upgrade to Infiniti? No...!

Oh dear, Caliban, how galling

I was out at Straford yesterday and frankly I'll be a-maaaaazed if the Olympics doesn't hit passenger grid-lock inside a day. I'm thinking of either leaving the country OR stocking up my freezer & staying in for the duration :SHUDDER:
          Last edited by Guest; 22-12-11, 11:51. Reason: On Norf's advice

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Ah, just tried to check the service status facility. Once logged in, I got:

"Oops something's broken

We're sorry this isn't the page you wanted

This part of the site isn't working at the moment, but it'll be up and running again soon. Please come back and try again later.

Other parts of the site might work as normal, so try using the links below to help you find what you want.

... "

Comment

• Anna

I was with Virgin for a number of years. I switched to BT 2 months ago because Virgin wanted to increase the cost by £5 a month and they had become increasing unreliable and flakey (but I'm not cable)

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Oh dear, Caliban, how galling

I was out at Straford yesterday and frankly I'll be a-maaaaazed if the Olympics does hit passenger grid-lock inside a day. I'm thinking of either leaving the country OR stocking up my freezer & staying in for the duration :SHUDDER:
                Does or doesn't?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                  Does or doesn't?
                  Cheers Norfs! - it's doesn't

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

They have of course said they are packing up all TV and Internet services (except to mobile phones) as of the end of January
                    I'm on Virgin at home for TV, phone and broadband. It was all fine when I left at 7.30 this morning. (I'm writing this at work).

"Packing up all TV and Internet services"???? This is news to me. I've received no communication from them about this. Can you point me to a link, please?

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I am expecting mine to go down as my connection hangs by a thread after the gentleman from WILTSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL who sweeps the pavements with a tractor too wide to get betwixt house and bollard tried it at 8am this morning and smashed through the junction/modem box on my front wall. Did he stop? Did he ********?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                        I am expecting mine to go down as my connection hangs by a thread after the gentleman from WILTSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL who sweeps the pavements with a tractor too wide to get betwixt house and bollard tried it at 8am this morning and smashed through the junction/modem box on my front wall. Did he stop? Did he ********?
                        You have contacted the relevant department of the Council, (and your ISP), I hope. Talk of criminal damage might not go amiss.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                          I'm on Virgin at home for TV, phone and broadband. It was all fine when I left at 7.30 this morning. (I'm writing this at work).

"Packing up all TV and Internet services"???? This is news to me. I've received no communication from them about this. Can you point me to a link, please?

No it was in a letter and it only affects my area - sorry, I should have been more specific in my posting

We used to be Westminster Cable, which was one of the first in the country I think (it was already installed when moving in whcih was 1992). That became ntl and then Virgin... but none of them have had the £££ to upgrade the late 1980s cabling (which I accept must be damned complicated in Westminster, with so many buildings divided into flats etc). So Virgin are just cutting the cable service early 2012.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Mangerton, only Central London. See Caliban's thread about it here:
                            http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...t=virgin+media
                            Oh! just saw this Anna, thanks!!

Sorry to have been alarmist earlier!

Comment

Working...
                            X