X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

no one is right all the time and no one is wrong, heroes are ordinary mortals eh .....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      heroes are ordinary mortals eh .....
      Don't follow leaders/ watch the parking meters.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pilchardman View Post
        Why would you imagine I think otherwise? Of course he was. He was entitled the be a pseudo left poseur, who, when push came to shove, turned out to be an enthusiast for neo con warmongering, and who was instrumental in winning over Labourites to a pro war stance, thus facilitating Blair.
        Any evidence for this? He didn't convince me I think it was Blair & Campbell's dodgy dossier that convinced most people who were pro-war.

Hitchens is on record a) as being against all fundamentalists and totalitarians and b) as believing that Mercan furrin policy under Bush 43 was hopelessly hands-off and that this was immoral when Saddam had been a Mercan creature up to 1990. Hitchens felt that America owed Saddam's removal to the people of Iraq. Rather a long way from what you're suggesting, Pilchardman although the result is the same, I grant you.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          He didn't convince me
          I didn't say "all".

So, you're a Labourite? That explains much.

Comment

• amateur51

I didn't say "all".

So, you're a Labourite? That explains much.
            Are you sure you're not Mandryka in disguise Pilchardman. The way in which you make incorrect leaps of logic with almost unerring facility seems mighty close to me

I've voted in every General Election I was entitled to (I'm 60 soon)& I haven't voted Labour since 1997. I voted against Labour in a bye-election in 2003 and the anti-war LibDem candidate became the MP, and a good constituency MP she has turned out to be too.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Your argument Pilchardman becomes flimsy when it comes to the character of Tony. I don't recognise him as the gullible wimp you describe. Rather, I would see him as having been chomping at the bit on the sight of tanks and the kind of megalomaniac who still reckons that one day he should insist on becoming the Pope. (LD (97) LD (01) LD (05) Green (10))

Comment

• John Skelton

Christopher Hitchens was arguably less insufferable than Richard Dawkins and arguably more toxic. Arguably it might be the other way around, of course.

You can read a sneak preview of Christopher Hitchens' last interview (with Richard Dawkins, of course) here http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...chens-catholic

"Never be afraid of stridency"

RD: "The people who did Hitler's dirty work were almost all religious."

Really? I thought they were all family doctors called Helmut obsessed with populist versions of Nietzsche.

Comment

• Pilchardman

The way in which you make incorrect leaps of logic with almost unerring facility seems mighty close to me
                  So, you're not a Labourite? I see.

You can see why quoting me saying Hitchins "was instrumental in winning over Labourites" then saying "He didn't convince me" might lead me to the assumption, surely.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    Your argument Pilchardman becomes flimsy when it comes to the character of Tony.
                    I don't recall saying anything at all about the character of Tony in this respect. Please point me to the quote.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

On David Cameron: "People ask: 'What do you think of him?' and my answer is: 'He doesn't make me think.'"
                      no man who said that is .....
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I don't recall saying anything at all about the character of Tony in this respect. Please point me to the quote.
                        Yes you are quite right. You referred to Labour people supporting Blair's war. I withdraw my last statement.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                          Christopher Hitchens was arguably less insufferable than Richard Dawkins and arguably more toxic. Arguably it might be the other way around, of course.

You can read a sneak preview of Christopher Hitchens' last interview (with Richard Dawkins, of course) here http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...chens-catholic

"Never be afraid of stridency"

RD: "The people who did Hitler's dirty work were almost all religious."

Really? I thought they were all family doctors called Helmut obsessed with populist versions of Nietzsche.
                          According to David Cesarani in his book Eichmann: His Life & Crimes, Eichmann's last words were:

"Long live Germany. Long live Argentina. Long live Austria. These are the three countries with which I have been most connected and which I will not forget. I greet my wife, my family, and my friends. I am ready. We'll meet again soon, as is the fate of all men. I die believing in God"

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            Yes you are quite right. You referred to Labour people supporting Blair's war. I withdraw my last statement.
                            Cheers.

Comment

• amateur51

So, you're not a Labourite? I see.

You can see why quoting me saying Hitchins "was instrumental in winning over Labourites" then saying "He didn't convince me" might lead me to the assumption, surely.
                              I can indeed and I like your choice of 'might'

I might still be old-school Labour, tho'

Innit

Comment

• Pilchardman

I might still be old-school Labour, tho'

Innit
                                you mean, were it still to exist?

Comment

Working...
                                X