X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    It would be prounounced Dayga only were it to have an acute accent over the e, non?
    esatto!

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      Why o why o why o why... will people say "Day - ga"?? They are quite able to give the necessary schwa to de Gaulle, de La Rochefoucauld, madame de Maintenon, Claude de Bussy, &c... why can't they 'get' de Gas ?
      I've always thought it was because the 'de' isn't written as a separate word - but as you say, Debussy isn't a problem - nor Delacroix.

Perhaps it's the number of syllables? The English are always casting about for a syllable to put a really strong stress on, and when there are only two to choose from...?

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        I've always thought it was because the 'de' isn't written as a separate word - but as you say, Debussy isn't a problem - nor Delacroix.

Perhaps it's the number of syllables? The English are always casting about for a syllable to put a really strong stress on, and when there are only two to choose from...?
        ... I had similar thoughts. But then, we have no problems with de Gaulle.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

... I had similar thoughts. But then, we have no problems with de Gaulle.

I think we did...

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

He certainly had problems with us.

But my point stands, because the de in de Gaulle is written as a separate word.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... apparently Edgar changed from de Gas to Degas in his thirties.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                Hiya Lat-Literal,

I particularly recall the French speaking TV presenter Fiona Bruce, who studied French at Oxford University, on the Antiques Roadshow pronouncing the River Seine clearly as 'Sen'. I'm not sure how the French pronounce it?
                Interesting. Fiona Bruce is reliable. I think the French pronounce it Sen.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  Interesting. Fiona Bruce is reliable. I think the French pronounce it Sen.
                  It's close to that but is a longer drawn out syllable than ben, den, fen, hen &c. Try the vowel sound in 'air', 'fair'.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

... the 'English' pronunciation of a French proper name that continues to infuriate me is Degas.

Why o why o why o why... will people say "Day - ga"??
                    Yes - that is one that really gets me going as well - the same when a pretentious acquaintance thought he would sound impressive by saying Châteauneuf du Pap-AY!!! more steam, vicar!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                      Yes - that is one that really gets me going as well - the same when a pretentious acquaintance thought he would sound impressive by saying Châteauneuf du Pap-AY!!! more steam, vicar!
                      Did he want spinach with his wine?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

There is a small island off the Brittany coast called l'Ile de Sein...and a tidal race nearby (feared by sailors) called Le Raz de Sein. (Bit like the word for breast.) English sailors usually call it the Razz de Sayn...most annoying. A Breton will say Ra d'Sa (both short 'a').

There is an interesting history to this remote, other-worldly and very small island. During WW2 the entire adult male population*....probably about 12...set off in a couple of fishing boats to England to join the Free French under De Gaulle. When De Gaulle was mustering his forces, he kept coming across men from l'Ile de Sein. Apparently he said 'Ou se trouve ce grande ile?' or words to that effect.

*The women and boys kept the fishing going throughout the War.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          During WW2 the entire adult male population*....probably about 12...set off in a couple of fishing boats to England to join the Free French under De Gaulle. .
                          Well over 100, in fact, taking most of the boats. Residents are exempt from Taxe d'habitation, as tribute to them.

I must check if Île still requires its circumflexe.*

* Larousse en ligne says yes.
                          Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 01-02-18, 10:45. Reason: research

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

... the 'English' pronunciation of a French proper name that continues to infuriate me is Degas.

Why o why o why o why... will people say "Day - ga"?? They are quite able to give the necessary schwa to de Gaulle, de La Rochefoucauld, madame de Maintenon, Claude de Bussy, &c... why can't they 'get' de Gas ?

I wd happily accept de Gass, bicoz I understand the s was originally pronounced - but Dayga???

How is Degas pronounced please vinteuil?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              How is Degas pronounced please vinteuil?
                              ... well, de as in Charles de Gaulle or Alain Delon, ga as in gas

Last edited by vinteuil; 01-02-18, 12:42.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

...but badly, wth an imagined acute accent...

Comment

Working...
                                X